I've heard of Arizona, but have you heard of Paris?

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
EDIT - I found this really difficult to watch, you may as well.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2010/aug/02/france

Telegraph
By Peter Allen

The footage ??? which shows the officers trying to get rid of African squatters from a Paris housing estate ??? shows at least one woman fainting and young children screaming.

All were being targeted by officers from the elite CRS riot squad, who were armed and wearing body armour.

No female police were involved, and there was no medical assistance on hand.

The emergence of the video, filmed on July 21st, comes at the worst possible time for French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

He is currently trying to get rid of thousands of unwanted immigrants to his country, including gipsies and foreign criminals.

Mr Sarkozy has always been a firm believer in tough policing.

It shows police in La Corneuve, in the notorious Seine-Saint-Denis district north of Paris, manhandling a screaming woman with a baby wrapped on her back.

She had joined some 200 others staging a sit down protest after being evicted from a 15 storey building called the Balzac, which was about to be demolished.

There is also a graphic image of a pregnant woman lying on her back in the road.

According to a spokesman for Droit au Logement (Right to Housing), most of the protesters were legal migrants from the Ivory Coast, and had been in France for more than a decade.

???They were subjected to disgusting police brutality,??? he said. ???When mothers and babies are being attacked in this way, immigrants do not stand a chance.???

Last week Mr Sarkozy vowed to strip immigrants of their passports if they attack police or public officials.

He also sanctioned the tearing down of illegal Gipsy camps and promised a review of all welfare payments to migrants.

A spokesman for Seine-Saint-Denis police said: ???No police brutality took place during the break up of an illegal demonstration.???

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Goddamn, that is really tough to watch.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Yes, I just put a line in about it.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I didn't want to watch that but I did. Very sad that this occured.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    That's French self-determination in action. As a legal citizen, I find it empowering.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Sarkozy seems to be taking the tried and trusted method of distracting people from his own numerous personal short(boom boom) comings by focusing on the minorities in society. This focus on "unwelcome" ethnic groups seems to have been building up for a while now as has the general swing to further right in Europe.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    That's French self-determination in action. As a legal citizen, I find it empowering.

Ha f@cking ha.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Anytime the CRS are called in you know it's going to be brutal.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I saw this on the BBC yesterday, that little baby being dragged along the concrete is horrific.

Women and children, i hope those cops are real proud of themselves.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Junior said:
    This focus on "unwelcome" ethnic groups seems to have been building up for a while now as has the general swing to further right in Europe.

If by "a while" you mean all of recorded European history, totally.

DB_Cooper said:
    Junior said:
    This focus on "unwelcome" ethnic groups seems to have been building up for a while now as has the general swing to further right in Europe.

Well ,yeah, sure. My point was that it seems, to me at least, that in the last two or three years or so there's been a noticeable upsurge in this kind of government approved discrimination along with the rise of more outspokenly nationalistic political parties.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Not really the kind of place that was drawing the likes of James Baldwin and Nina Simone anymore.
    I wish Nina Simone were around for many reasons, but to hear her speak on the present climate of her chosen home is one of them.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Junior said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Junior said:

Well ,yeah, sure. My point was that it seems, to me at least, that in the last two or three years or so there's been a noticeable upsurge in this kind of government approved discrimination along with the rise of more outspokenly nationalistic political parties.

Well, I for one am looking forward to a good-old European ground war against fascist nationalist regimes. This whole mucking about in Iraq and Afghanistan is getting tiresome.

DB_Cooper said:
    Junior said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Junior said:

Well, I for one and looking forward to a good-old European ground war against fascist nationalist regimes. This whole mucking about in Iraq and Afghanistan is getting tiresome.

I'm there day one just so I can tell kids in the future that I fought a war for their ungrateful asses.

Plus having put many hours in Modern Warfare 2 I'm pretty confident I can take down a whole troop by myself as long as Stopping Power is on and I get a good respawn point.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Junior said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Junior said:

Well, I for one and looking forward to a good-old European ground war against fascist nationalist regimes. This whole mucking about in Iraq and Afghanistan is getting tiresome.

It will be a ground war of words.....fought mostly in places like Mass, NY and Cali.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    You can't confront fascists with words. You have to kick their ass back into the sewer. It's the only thing they understand.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Junior said:

Plus having put many hours in Modern Warfare 2 I'm pretty confident I can take down a whole troop by myself as long as Stopping Power is on and I get a good respawn point.

The tactical insertion's only good if you can drop it in Paris.

• Options
    I'm reminded of this poem by Philip Levine, written in response to French atrocities in Algeria:

Gangrene
    Vous ??tes sorti sain et sauf des basses
    calomnies, vous avey conquis les coeurs.

Zola, J'accuse

One was kicked in the stomach
    until he vomited, then
    made to put back
    into his mouth what they had
    brought forth; when he tried to drown
    in his own stew
    he was recovered. "You are
    worse than a nigger or Jew,"

the helmeted one said. "You
    are an intellectal.
    I hate your brown
    skin; it makes me sick." The tall
    intense one, his penis wired,
    was shocked out of
    his senses in three seconds.
    Weakened, he watched them install

another battery in
    the crude electric device.
    The genitals
    of a third were beaten with
    a short wooden ruler: "Reach
    for your black balls.
    I'll show you how to make love."
    When two of the beaten passed

in the hall they did not know
    each other. "His face had turned
    into a wound:
    the nose was gone, the eyes ground
    so far back into the face
    they too seemed gone,
    the lips, puffed pieces of cracked
    blood." None of them was asked

anything. The clerks, the police,
    the booted ones, seemed content
    to inflict pain,
    to make, they said, each instant
    memorable and exquisite,
    reform the brain
    through the senses. "Kiss my boot
    and learn the taste of French shit."

Reader, does the heart demand
    that you bend to the live wound
    as you would bend
    to the familiar body
    of your beloved, to kiss
    the green flower
    which blooms always from the ground
    human and ripe with terror,

to face with love what we have
    made of hatred? We must live
    with what we are,
    you say, is enough. I
    taste death. I am among you
    and I accuse
    you where, secretly thrilled by
    the circus of excrement,

you study my strophes or
    yawn into the evening air,
    tired, not amused.
    Remember what you have said
    when from your pacific dream
    you awaken
    at last, deafened by the scream
    of your own stench. You are dead.

• Junior said:
    Sarkozy seems to be taking the tried and trusted method of distracting people from his own numerous personal short(boom boom) comings by focusing on the minorities in society.

This is exactly what it's all about. For three weeks every headline was about the Woerth-Bettencourt scandal (illegal tax breaks given to, and illegal campaign contributions made by the richest woman in France to Sarkozy's party). Now the papers have dropped that story and are repeating this BS. Worked beautifully: the conversation has been changed, and the bitter poor xenophobic voter can say to himself "Maybe the ruling party is too tight with the supperich, but they care about my problems." Disgusting though unsurprising.