Classical/Experimental Recommendations

incompletejigsawincompletejigsaw 756 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
A few weeks ago I was record shopping and I was in the Classical/Experimental section of the store. There was a record I was sampling that was just great, but couldn't buy it at the time. So I placed in further back so as to make it unnoticable for other customers who were looking for work from Brahms and Wagner. Anyway, I came back some days later and found the record vacated from the spot that I had placed it in. Some venomous habitant took it.

Anyway, the record had a composer on the cover wearing a yellow sweater. He was on the right hand side of the album cover with a piano on the left. The titles were all in French, and the music has piano work, along with some violin. The reason I loved the album was that it has a classical sound with an experimental ambient feel to it. Even if nobody knows of this specific record that I'm referring to, anyone have their own recommendations for Classical/Experimental records?!

Comments

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    What are you looking for? Minimalism? Musique concrete? "Modern classical"?

Morton Subotnick - Silver Apples of the Moon
    Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musicians
    Mauricio Kagel - Exotica
    Musica Elettronia Viva - Friday
    Ned Lagin - Seastones
    Terry Riley - A Rainbow in Curved Air
    Tony Conrad - 4 Violins
    Tony Conrad & Faust - Outside the Dream Syndicate (though this might stretch the definition of what you're looking for)

I also hold a huge torch for Lubomyr Melnyk, Morton Feldman, Pauline Oliveros, and the Taj Mahal Travelers.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Xenakis
    Scelsi
    Penderecki
    Ligeti
    Messiaen

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    I second Music For 18 Musicians. If you're looking for drone elements in classical music, you should check that out, it's excellent.

I also nominate Philp Glass' Glassworks. Very tense and dynamic, while still hypnotic.

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    Also Terry Riley's "In C", again on the droney tip.

• Options
    AMM - The Crypt and AMMMusic - 1966

• Thanks for the recommendations. I had never heard of Xenakis before, but I was a fan of Legati from his work on 2001: A Space Odyssey. What I'm trying to find, more or less, would be along the lines of Sylvano Bussotti and Klavierstuck. But it looks like I have some musicians to discover for the next few days.

• I like this one as well as many of the above recommendations...

Gassman* / Sala* - Electronic Music For The Ballet "Electronics" / Five Improvisations On Magnetic Tape