Ebirac Dead Stock

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
Anyone else cop this? When my friend put me up on it, I hesitated for about 2 minutes before pulling the trigger on the mega-set.

http://numerogroup.wordpress.com/2010/07/23/ebirac-dead-stock/

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Mine should be waiting for me when I return home, a great deal and very cool of the Numerians to offer this at a nice price.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Yeah, i mean the 4 lp, 15 45 set was a no brainer at that price, thanks Rob/Numero.

peace,xavier

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    That's a good price. I just bought 3 of the LPs and the 45 box.

Someone holler if you've got a copy of the sold-out one.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Sitting in my backpack as I type this, waiting to hit the tables when I get home. An amazing find and offer from the folks at n??mero!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I instantly copped the whole shibang. Incredible deal. I'd pay a buck twenty-five just for the La Justicia LP!

b/w

I really can't wait to see what those 15 45s are all about. You had to buy everything to get the "Under the Sun" 45, which is supposedly one incredible fuzzed-out salsa track!

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    yeah, what a great gesture from the Numero Camp!!! MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!!

really excited to finally receive my package!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I've owned the Justicia LP in the past and thought it was thoroughly uninteresting

A terd even

I'm re-selling.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    I'm re-selling.

Doh! Everything? I haven't had a chance to listen yet.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    I'm re-selling.

grippers' remorse.

• out of the 3 lps left, which is the best?

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Reynaldo said:
    I'm re-selling.

Why would his reselling of this stuff make you say "doh", you haven't even heard the stuff yet. i would hardly call Rey an expert on this stuff, regardless of how many salsa albums/45's he owns.

peace,xavier

haze25 said:
    mannybolone said:
    Reynaldo said:
    I'm re-selling.

Why would his reselling of this stuff make you say "doh", you haven't even heard the stuff yet. i would hardly call Rey an expert on this stuff, regardless of how many salsa albums/45's he owns.

peace,xavier

I meant "doh" for the fact that he's already regretting his decision. That's "doh" worthy, IMO.

And actually, I think Rey's taste in Latin is pretty decent. I've traded music with him for a few years now and it's rarely the case that he loves something I think is shit or vice versa.

That said, I'll certainly form my own opinion about the Ebirac stuff but if BOTH Faux and Rey are skeptical, that's a bit inauspicious.

I'm not regretting anything. I heard two of the three LPs before buying and I'm into the sound. But if I can flip them for good money before the market gets flooded then I will. Plus I can rip them and get the scans.

haze25 said:
    mannybolone said:
    Reynaldo said:
    I'm re-selling.

peace,xavier
    I'd hardly call you relevant.

Reynaldo said:
    I'm not regretting anything. I heard two of the three LPs before buying and I'm into the sound. But if I can flip them for good money before the market gets flooded then I will. Plus I can rip them and get the scans.

Cold science.

b/w

I'm listening to the box of Boricua right now and Hector Del Valle's "Homenaje" is the shit! Really feeling "A Bailar Son Montuno" by Orquesta La Solucion too.

The earlier mentioned Under the Sun Orchestra's "This Is MySong" is pretty cool. The other two "bonus" 7s that came with the mega-set aren't much to write home about though.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Agree on all that Manny said above, i really like the track "Alegre Jibarito" on the Justicia lp, cool that the track come in the box of 45's as well. Don't know how i feel about the rest of the Justicia lp yet, it is quite snoozy in parts, i wouldn't call it a turd though.

peace,xavier

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    haze25 said:
    mannybolone said:
    Reynaldo said:
    I'm re-selling.

peace,xavier

I'd hardly call you relevant.

LOL

peace,xavier

Made my way through all the 7"s, including the 3 bonus ones.

Conclusion: 9 are definite keepers, of which 5 were worth digitizing (the three I mentioned earlier plus "El Duro," a really nice vibe-colored descarga by Manuel Y us Estrellas and "La Juventud of Chicago" by the Ebirac All Stars - the best salsa-dura track in the mix.

The remaining 4 I'm keeping in case I ever need a few salsa 7"s in the crate for a Latin gig but I didn't think they were exemplary examples of the genre. Sound-wise, they're like "salsa dura-lite" if that makes sense. Decent but nothing extraordinary.

Surprisingly, even though I tend to like kid-singers/bands, I wasn't that into either of the two kid 7"s here (on the red and yellow Ebirac designs, feat. Tipica Leal 79 on arrangement). Their vocals were just too high-pitched and jarring to be enjoyable. The rest of the stuff I'm not looking to keep were MOR salsa joints.

• hows Desde Mi Barrio en Chicago? Just ordered my copy.

• All these joints have been selling for money lately. Even with stock floating around they held their value. I guess not that many latin collectors knew of the Numero find.

Not surprised. Yet, I am surprised. Sheeyit, I should have bought two of them!

• mannybolone said:
    Not surprised. Yet, I am surprised. Sheeyit, I should have bought two of them!

Yeah basically, should've bought three or four.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I'm not criticizing anyone's game, but I can't help but feel the generous folks at Numero would be a little more gratified if people bought these to enjoy rather than to flip, which they could easily have done themselves.

Horseleech said:
    I'm not criticizing anyone's game, but I can't help but feel the generous folks at Numero would be a little more gratified if people bought these to enjoy rather than to flip, which they could easily have done themselves.

Well, I was joking but without criticizing the spirit of what you're saying - which I agree with - I think this is impossible to avoid. It's the record equivalent of ticket scalping and however well-intentioned most people are in buying stuff for enjoyment's sake, surely Rob and Ken are smart enough to also realize that some of their sales went to folks with the intention to flip.

But I'm also betting the vast majority of sales were NOT to those people. The small # of "Ebirac speculators" shouldn't spoil the general party.

• The game is the game

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    none of those 45s were available online though, were they?

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    remember another big point of the set sale was to generate buzz and talk up the Ebirac label in advance of the compilation release. i'd say they suceeded in that regard.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    none of those 45s were available online though, were they?

Incorrect. Box of Boricua was the way to get them.