DOWNTOWN CALLING! RAD DOC! SUPPORT!

WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
Not sure if this has been posted about yet, apologies if so --

saw this last night. Sure a few other folks from here were up in there and certain a few others are friends with the director and producers....was a big crowd.

For a large subject matter with a lot of ground to cover, they did a pretty damn good job at doing so in an hour and ten mins - and it's the director and producers first movie!

A lot of crazy footage / images (ESG, Liquid Liquid, James Chance, Larry Levan, Loft, Basquiat, Garage, Bush Tetras(!) ) that I'd never before seen.

Def go check it out if you have the chance --- very enjoyable.

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Man, I really want to see this! That trailer got me excited! I don't suppose this isn't floating around online, is it?

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Herm said:
    I don't suppose this isn't floating around online, is it?

TSK TSK TSK!!!!!!

Support support support!! Took em about 4 years to make this. It'll find its way online soon enough, I'm sure, but drop a few bucks on downloading it -- the gents deserve it!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That's just what it is today man. Nobody don't want to pay for nothing. Shit, you know what it is man... Motherfuckers even touched on that in the film a little bit.

But yeah, funny cause I was coming on here today to post the same thing about the film, encouraging people to see it. I was there last night with the wife and it was pretty fucking incredible. Really food for thought even if you're not from / live in New York. And the footage is fucking B.O.N.K.E.R.S. for real. Just the footage alone is facemelting, but the stories behind it are so crazy. Jazzy Jay talking about David Mancuso, Sal Principato talking about playing Roxy for the first time, every single word that came out of Michael Holman's mouth in the movie (I met dude last night too, dude is the coolest cat in the world for real.)

But yeah my friend Ben who've I've known since we were kids produced it and my homie Shan directed this so it's a family affair. Really super great dudes who just wanted to write a love song to their city. Amazing film and amazing story.

When they get picked up for distribution go out and see the film please. It's definitely worth it and right up the alley of folks on this site. So yeah, please get behind our friends film, it's kind of a big deal.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Geez Luis! Where did I say I wanted it for free?! I have $40. If one of you can ask your friends who made if they're willing to burn me a copy of the DVD I will gladly send it to them and cross my heart and hope to die that I will never ever burn it for anybody or upload it on the internet for other people to see for free. I'm dead serious.

Fact of the matter is...I live in Tucson, Arizona and the chances that this will play in our one independent theater are damn near nil as f*ck. I REALLY want to see this though.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    Jazzy Jay talking about David Mancuso, Sal Principato talking about playing Roxy for the first time, every single word that came out of Michael Holman's mouth in the movie (I met dude last night too, dude is the coolest cat in the world for real.)

Ya that was the shit that really bugged me out too, which Ben touched on in the Q&A at the end. No major details as not to spoil anything, but hearing these people not only talk about the movement but talking about EACH OTHER! Chris Stein talking about all the other bands of the day, Chris Frantz doing the same (him talking about drugs was too funny).

Michael Holman killed it, last piece of audio from him was so true and so hilarious. Major facemelt on the Malcom McLaren bit as well.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Really excited about this since Ben told me about it a while back.

Does anyone know where it will be showing, for those of us that didn't make the premiere last night?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Woimsah said:

Michael Holman killed it, last piece of audio from him was so true and so hilarious. Major facemelt on the Malcom McLaren bit as well.

Yeah that last point was seriously heavy and really on target, especially for those of us who have witnessed the changes in NY from what it once was to what it is now - the Post-Guiliani era (which is really just an extension of the Reagan Regime that they talked about.)

And that whole McLaren / Holman bit was fucking untouchable, absolutely fucking facemelting, and the editing on that particular piece was done so well.

Jonny I don't know where there will be screenings but as soon as I do I'm going to be heavily promoting this so guaranteed you'll know. You'll fucking LOVE this, dude.

And Herm you're the homie, I wasn't scolding you my dude! Saul Goode.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    I don't know where there will be screenings but as soon as I do I'm going to be heavily promoting this so guaranteed you'll know.

Yeah please do Cos. Definitely trying to catch this when it gets a real release.

And Jonny, there's an email sign-up on the website, if you're into that sort of thing..

http://downtowncalling.com

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    this is my favorite period of music/culture.

Can't wait to see it!

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Damn this looks awesome. Please let us know when/where we can buy the dvd !
    Also someone needs to bring this Down Under

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I'll watch this if it comes to the UK. Looks great!