Race Baiting and Fear-Mongering in American Politics

13»

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    anal-retentive, imposing sticklerism of whites

i don't really take issue with your larger statement but this one is a head scratcher.

skel said:
    No other country is so utterly obsessed by race discussion.

Filed under millstone/neck

haha. yeah better to just ignore it.

Cosmophonic said:
    skel said:
    No other country is so utterly obsessed by race discussion.

Also, I'm sure I'm stating the obvious, but Islam is not a race (in regards to the first two videos in the initial post).

is this a serious statement?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    HarveyCanal said:

i don't really take issue with your larger statement but this one is a head scratcher.

White people, including myself at times, are always trying to correct people on some technicality that possibly only they are aware of. And the more whites become aware of this apparent natural inclination, the sooner the practice can once and for all be curbed.

HarveyCanal said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    HarveyCanal said:

White people, including myself at times, are always trying to correct people on some technicality that possibly only they are aware of. And the more whites become aware of this apparent natural inclination, the sooner the practice can once and for all be curbed.

huh.

• Options
    Another 'one of these things is not like the other' moment:

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/07/23/98013/study-finds-victims-race-can-skew.html#ixzz0ucLkyCGi

I've seen similar studies about other death penalty states.

This kind of bias couldn't possibly filter down to non-death penalty crimes, could it?

No way! That would be un-American. I hope.

But, um.

• PelvicDust said:
    Ex-Boyfriend said:
    PelvicDust said:
    On the plus side, most of the race-baiting Arizona immigration law was struck down today. At least for now.

Please quote me the 'race baiting' aspects of the az immigration law. Thank you.

Yeah, you're right, no doubt there will be lots of Canadians deported under the awesomely color-blind statute.

You betcha!

why not just sat "sorry, but I cant". Replying with lazy sarcasm does nothing to obscure your ignorance.

• Options
    Ex-Boyfriend said:
    PelvicDust said:
    Ex-Boyfriend said:
    PelvicDust said:
    On the plus side, most of the race-baiting Arizona immigration law was struck down today. At least for now.

Please quote me the 'race baiting' aspects of the az immigration law. Thank you.

Yeah, you're right, no doubt there will be lots of Canadians deported under the awesomely color-blind statute.

You betcha!

why not just sat "sorry, but I cant". Replying with lazy sarcasm does nothing to obscure your ignorance.

I guess you're right. There is no possible way this law has any racial dimensions. It won't be used by any AZ cops as a club against Hispanics. Sheriff Joe Arpaio can be trusted to use a statute like this wisely and well.

I don't know what I was thinking. I apologize for suggesting that there has ever been any racism anywhere ever.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    PelvicDust said:
    Ex-Boyfriend said:
    PelvicDust said:
    Ex-Boyfriend said:
    PelvicDust said:

You betcha!

I guess you're right. There is no possible way this law has any racial dimensions. It won't be used by any AZ cops as a club against Hispanics. Sheriff Joe Arpaio can be trusted to use a statute like this wisely and well.

I don't know what I was thinking. I apologize for suggesting that there has ever been any racism anywhere ever.

PD - I'm not really disputing your other points, but just wanted to say we don't all look like Neil Young, Anne Murray and Jim Carrey up here.

• Options
    PelvicDust said:
    Ex-Boyfriend said:
    PelvicDust said:
    Ex-Boyfriend said:
    PelvicDust said:

You betcha!

PD - I'm not really disputing your other points, but just wanted to say we don't all look like Neil Young, Anne Murray and Jim Carrey up here.

I know, some of you look like William Shatner or Leonard Cohen.

http://www.canadians.ca/

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    davidwingate said:
    we have people in this country who are intellectually dishonest and down right liars that seek to continue the hatred and lies. Honestly, those type of people are not Americans at all. They are traitors!! ....
    you talk like a republican
    were slavery and jim crow non american too ?

your country was built on a genocide
    there never has been anything particularly righteous or noble about being american
    whether one's white black or yellow

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    damms said:

there never has been anything particularly righteous or noble about being american
    Normandy landings?

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    tabira said:
    damms said:

Normandy landings?
    oh please
    hiroshima ? vietnam ?

the main motivation for the us involvment in world war II was $$$ as in any other conflict actually

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    damms said:
    tabira said:
    damms said:

Normandy landings?
    oh please

please what?

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    damms said:
    tabira said:
    damms said:

Normandy landings?
    oh please
    hiroshima ? vietnam ?

the main motivation for the us involvment in world war II was $$$ as in any other conflict actually

If you really think that Omaha beach was about money I won't even bother taking this any further. As for Hiroshima and Vietnam, I never said that America had never done any wrong, I'm just countering your claim that they have NEVER done anything particularly right. I mean if you don't think that's a sweeping statement then there ain't goiner be any reasoning with you.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    damms said:

Please tell us which countries are the noble ones.

• Options
    Horseleech said:
    damms said:

Please tell us which countries are the noble ones.

Antarctica gets my vote.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    damms said:
    tabira said:
    damms said:

Normandy landings?
    oh please
    hiroshima ? vietnam ?

l was thinking this weekend after reading your posts.

The USA had a choice. We could ally with the Brits and Aussies to defend France and defeat the Axis, or we could stay neutral [which is to say side with Germany] and rake n the $$$$.

many of the leading industrialist of the day, including the powerful Henry Ford were for siding with Germany.
    So were leading celebrity millionaires, including Charles Lindbergh.
    So were powerful politicians, including future President Gerald Ford.

instead we decided to side with the Brits and Soviets and Aussies.
    Today we talk about liberating France, but Vichy France was an independent country who willingly sent thousands of Jews To Nazi death camps.

lt is not clear to me that more money was to be made by choosing the side we did.
    At the time, Germany had all but won the war.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    damms said:
    tabira said:
    damms said:

Normandy landings?
    oh please
    hiroshima ? vietnam ?

l was thinking this weekend after reading your posts.

The USA had a choice. We could ally with the Brits and Aussies to defend France and defeat the Axis, or we could stay neutral [which is to say side with Germany] and rake n the $$$$.

many of the leading industrialist of the day, including the powerful Henry Ford were for siding with Germany.
    So were leading celebrity millionaires, including Charles Lindbergh.
    So were powerful politicians, including future President Gerald Ford.

instead we decided to side with the Brits and Soviets and Aussies.
    Today we talk about liberating France, but Vichy France was an independent country who willingly sent thousands of Jews To Nazi death camps.

lt is not clear to me that more money was to be made by choosing the side we did.
    At the time, Germany had all but won the war.

If Damms is right then it took a surprisingly long time (2 years), an unprecedented military tragedy (Pearl Harbour) and a lot of perpetual arm-twisting (Churchill) before the US finally woke up to the possibility of making a quick dollar out of the war. Sure a war economy helped FDR eliminate mass unemployment but I really don't think that that was the only reason. Albeit risable for hard-boiled conspiracy theorists and Chomskyites, other factors also came into play including a moral repugnance for Nazism and a self-interested fear of becoming the only and last surviving democratic head of state left on the planet.

• damms said:

Quick, name me a country, just one, that wasn't built on the bones and blood of one or more ethnic groups. It doesn't even have to exist anymore, just name one. Should be easy, right?

White guilt, it's a bitch.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Plantweed said:
    damms said:

Quick, name me a country, just one, that wasn't built on the bones and blood of one or more ethnic groups. It doesn't even have to exist anymore, just name one. Should be easy, right?

White guilt, it's a bitch.

Most Successful = Most Guilty

• thought this was a well done video with regards to fear mongering....

• yo, damms, i sound like a republican??? what country are you from? as horseleech said, name one noble country... i thought so.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Time, folks. Time and familiarity.