Miles Live-Evil Alt cover

novasolnovasol 204 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
I have a black cover version of Live-Evil. Any particular reason this alternate cover was released?

Comments

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Are you sure it isn''t some random black jacket because the owner didn't have the og sleeve? You can buy those black replacement sleeves I guess.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    markus71 said:
    Are you sure it isn''t some random black jacket because the owner didn't have the og sleeve? You can buy those black replacement sleeves I guess.

I don't think so. I've actually seen these before as well.

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    This is the cover in question. As far as I can tell...it's legitimately official.
    Attached files

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    an estate/license issue with the Klarwein estate? Might have been a lot cheaper to re-release with this cover

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    sucks to have that cover instead! love the art on LE.

• it could be the censored or more likely self-censored version, since the og art has a prominent drawing of a topless woman and that might made it hard to display in department stores, etc...

so does this black version have j edgar hoover as a cross-dressing toad on the back?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    It's a record club version, I don't know why it doesn't have the OG cover - maybe there was a hang-up licensing the art.

Yes, the OG art is nice. I don't think it sucks not having the art. This alternate cover presents itself a different perspective on this album.

Theories so far are all plausible. Most record club albums I've seen usually proclaim it on the packaging/label..even in the martix. I don't see anything like that on this album. Miles does have a history of dictating album covers (ie: Miles Ahead). Curious if this is the case here.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Does it say 'mfd by Capitol Records' on the back cover?

If so, it's a record club press, sometimes that's the only sign.

There may be stock copies of this also.

Says "Manufactured by Columbia Records", not "Mfd by Columbia....".

This is consistent with all of my 70's columbia albums.

The jacket back is idential to the cover. Differences are track listings and players/leagl info lower left of jacket.