Recording Vinyl B/W I'm a dinosaur

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
OK So I've never really cared how to get high quality audio from vinyl to my computer cuz I just listen to the records. But I think it's time to get with it and I'd like to contribute on here a little more. So........

What's a decent program to use. I really don't want to spend much at all. Preferably $0 - 50. Is upgrading to quicktime pro good enough? I'm not looking to do any high level editing, I'm not a producer or anything (obviously). I just want to have a nice recording of the records I've had for so long. Mainly for the ipod and sharing with the Strut. I've always just burned them to CD, but these never sound good when I try to upload them. Also I have a mic line in on my laptop so that's all I can use. Not adding some expensive sound card.

Thanks!

Comments

• Try the freeware Audacity. Basic. Does the job. Can add fades and shit if you want. There is a way to add markers and then split the wave (into songs), which could be handy if you're recording an entire side of an LP.

• Use the "Line In" instead of the "Mic In". I get decent recordings using cooledit.