Schwarzenegger Stallone Rourke WillisLiStathamCouture

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central

Comments

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    will be good ?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    That first trailer's pretty funny.

Big, noisy, dumb, coarse, flashy and about as subtle as a 1000-bomber raid. Can't wait.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

batmon said:

I usually avoid the dreaded LOL, but since I actually LOL'd at this, I figure it's OK.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I can't look at Rourke anymore.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Rourke has the same hair in this that he had in Iron Man 2. Highlights and everything.

Don't really see how this can be any good at all. Arnold? GTFOHWTBS

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    That trailer is the only thing that could convince me to go see the Julia Roberts movie.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    JoeMojo said:
    That trailer is the only thing that could convince me to go see the Julia Roberts movie.

Ha!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    JoeMojo said:
    Julia Roberts

You would, doe.

Clearly, the cinema of Jason Statham is only a guilty pleasure for me.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I was psyched when I heard about this and like the idea behind the first trailer but at the end of the day the presence of Statham pretty much confirms this will be a higher budget version of the kind of films that Snipes, Lundgren and co have been churning out straight to DVD for years. Having watched a fair few of them I'm not taking the high ground but the whole thing looks a tad serious for my liking and cameos from Willis and Arnie aren't going to disguise this is basically another Sly picture with a b grade supporting cast.

Also, a whole movie in the presence of that goatee?

Well, Sly's the director as well, which I suppose makes him the Jeff Lynne of this shit. I take your point about the apparent seriousness, though - you probably have to go back to Tango And Cash to find a remotely similar Sly movie where he had his tongue even halfway in his cheek. Conversely, Statham has already reached the stage in his career where he's gently (or not so gently) taking the piss out of his musclebound monosyllabic meathead persona - he doesn't seem in any hurry to do romantic comedy.

All that said, the Wikipedia entry for the film tells me there's a character named Hale Caesar (who was almost played by Fiddy), Dolph Lundgren plays a sniper named Gunnar, and one of the baddies is called The Brit. Also, Jean Claude Van Damme turned a part down because he didn't think it was serious enough.

Yeah I'll give it the benefit of the doubt but the trailer made it feel more like Rambo IV than the kind of eighties throwback I was expecting. Hopefully he hasn't forgotten that, while most of those films took themselves highly seriously, they were almost always embedded with a slight sense of how ridiculous much of the overblown action was.

Unfortunately I'm not a fan of Statham, though at least he's keeping Vinnie Jones out of work.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    which one's john cassavetes?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    and one of the baddies is called The Brit.

I'd watch if The Brit was played by an American. Somebody like James Belushi.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    DocMcCoy said:

love James Belushi

The inclusion of James Belushi in the cast list of a film made in the last twenty years is usually a pretty good indicator that I would be wise to steer clear.

Strider79it said:
    Duderonomy said:
    DocMcCoy said:

love James Belushi

I think of that scene in Beverly Hills Cop, when Rosemont is reading some article about how "By the time the average American male is 45, he'll have ten pounds of undigested red meat in his bowels". The cigar-afficianado, ten-pounds-of-undigested-red-meat James Belushi living the mid-life crisis on his Harley complete with stars-and-stripes bandana is the guy I want to play 'The Brit', with all of the acting nuance of the Ultimate Warrior in the midst of a full-on 'roid-rage, gorilla-pressing an imaginary German Sheppard and cursing it for being a better actor in K9. I can't even imagine how awesome his faux-accent would be.

He's being played by kickboxer and straight-to-DVD fave Gary 'Danger Man' Daniels, who's also playing the lead in the Tekken movie.

Dang, and I had hopes of Belushi.

Will there be in-jokes?
    If there are in-jokes, I might watch this.

Rourke.

What has he done to his mug? He says it was cos it were all mashed up from boxing. Shit, how bad a boxer was he? Was he the punchbag? I don't believe it.

It kind of reminds me of the Chet Baker anecdote, where a prune-faced, drug-ravaged Chet runs into a very old acquaintance from the years when Chet was rolling like a matinee idol.

Dude: "Shit Chet! What happened to your face?"

Chet: "These are just laughter lines."

Dude: "Nothing is that funny."

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I will be watching this as soon as I possibly can.

Well, ok I'll check the reviews first, and then probably watch it.

Duderonomy said:
    Dang, and I had hopes of Belushi.

Will there be in-jokes?
    If there are in-jokes, I might watch this.

I think that actually naming one of the baddies "The Brit" is a good pointer towards how seriously it's taking itself. I'm sure Sly will be unable to resist the urge to say something about geopolitical shenanigans and what-have-you, but personally I'm not expecting an "allegory" or anything.

• summers biggest flop

DocMcCoy said:
    something about geopolitical shenanigans

It will be hard to top the end of Rocky IV.

"I came here tonight...
    and I didn't know what to expect.
    I've seen a lot of people hating me...
    and I didn't know...
    what to feel about that, so...
    I guess I didn't like you much either.
    During this fight...
    I seen a lot of changing:
    the way you felt about me...
    and the way I felt about you.
    In here...
    there were two guys...
    killing each other.
    But I guess that's better than million.
    What I'm trying to say is...
    if I can change...
    and you can change...
    everybody can change!
    I just want to say one thing to my kid...
    who should be home sleeping.
    Merry Christmas, kid!
    I love you!
    "

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

motherfucker looks like Maradona

HGH is a helluva drug

The trailer appeared to have a sledgehammer one about Stallone and Rambo though here's hoping that they at least manage to fit "If he dies he dies" in there somewhere.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Junior said:
    The trailer appeared to have a sledgehammer one about Stallone and Rambo though here's hoping that they at least manage to fit "If he dies he dies" in there somewhere.

i just sat through the peice of shit that was Predators and despite a gatling gun in the opening scene i was fucking pissed when noone said "i aint got time to bleed"

Larryance Fishburn 's Colonel Kurtz was pretty sweet but was over in the blink of an eye, and having to endure Adrien Brody's sweaty torso as he ran around being an action hero was too much to take.

some decent effects, seriously bad acting, and no jesse Ventura.

bollocks.

Yakuza weilding Samurai sword vs. Predator fight was shit too.

nzshadow said:

i just sat through the peice of shit that was Predators

I think that Predator worked well because most of the film, you don't see anything, but you're wondering what exactly is killing them.
    Once the Predator is unmasked, the film had to change pace.
    Unfortunately for Predator 2, the audience already knew exactly what was coming.

I guess Predators is being marketed at kids that never saw the other two?

Would rather see Expendables.

Mickey Rourke related?

SPARTANBURG COUNTY, S.C. --
    Spartanburg deputies handled an unusual complaint on Sunday when McDonald???s employees said a woman caused a commotion after she bought a sandwich and shoved it down her pants saying her order had been shorted.

The woman, later identified as Lori Turner, bought two sandwiches and two small coffees, employees said. They said the woman then took one of the sandwiches and put it down the front her jeans, and said that the employees owed her a free one.

Employees said when Turner became belligerent, they called 911. The responding deputy said he could hear Turner screaming obscenities at the cashier when he went into the McDonald???s.

The deputy asked Turner to step outside, and said he could see a large grease stain on the front of her pants. He said that Turner denied having the sandwich until a female officer arrived to search her. The deputy said at that point, Turner pulled the sandwich out of her pants and put it on the hood of the police car.

The deputy said Turner continued to shout profanities and smelled of alcohol. She was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct.

The McDonald???s refunded Turner???s money and had her put on a trespassing order.