more eBay b.s.

gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
This isn't record related but camera lens related.

I sold a lens back in June to a US address. Apparently the buyer is from Croatia but has a US mailing address for US only auctions. He says his brother brought the lens to him in Croatia recently only to find that the autofocus isn't functioning. However, I had been using the lens and it had worked perfectly up to the time I sold the lens. He has opened a case and would like a full refund on the item because he claims it isn't functioning. I feel like I'm getting scammed.

I see these threads from time to time and have never dealt with this sort of thing before. I see that people will either contact eBay or Paypal. What is the proper procedure on this? Where do I go from here?

Comments

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    bump, anyone?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I don't think he has much of a chance of getting a full refund, he'd have to return it first anyway.

Have you been notified by paypal that he's opened a claim? You'd then deal with it directly through the paypal claims process.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I haven't been notified by Paypal directly. Though there is a transaction hold on my account. eBay noticed me that there was a case that had been opened.

Here's the exchange so far that the buyer sent to eBay:

"This is the message I have sent to the seller: Hello, today I have received the above lens I have purchased from you (it was delivered to my US shipment address timely and was brought to me by my brother who came for vacation today; I live in Croatia, Europe). I was unpleasantly surprised to find out that autofocus is not working correctly: the kit lens 18-55 is several times faster in achieving focus on my EOS 30 than this USM lens, not to mention that it is unable to automatically focus most of the time. I am aware that your policy was to accept return within 7 days, but this lens is simply not as described: 'This is in great working condition, the obvious scuffs on the body are there from use. Both lens are nice and clean.' - it is not in working condition. So my question is are you willing to accept return although return period has already passed?

This is the reply I promptly received: Hello, When I listed the lens, it was in perfect working condition. I had been using it up until I listed it and purchased a new camera body and new lenses. So I'm not sure why it isn't working for you. I will not accept a return as it was working properly when I sent it out. I would have done a return right away if it were within the 7 days. Best, Chris

I have bought several items (mostly photo gear) from the e-Bay sellers and they were all as they were described in listings, so I was very unpleasantly surprised to find out that auto-focus of the EF-S 17-85 IS lens I have purchased is not functional. I am living in Zagreb, Croatia, and as majority of US sellers is shipping only within USA, I have US shipment address - my brother live in Flemington, NJ. Because of that I was unable to return the lens within 7 days as it was clearly stated in listing, but it is certainly unfair to state that item is fully functional when it is not The lens was delivered to my US address somewhere around 25. 6, my brother brought it to Zagreb two days ago I immediately contacted the seller. am prepared to send the lens to any Canon service center in Europe or USA (there is one in Zagreb also) if the seller doubts in my word. In a case of refund I would return the item to seller. If you would like to contact me by phone please bear in mind that Croatia is in GMT+1 time zone, so the conversation should be scheduled in advance by e-mail. I am aware that I am late to return the item according to the seller listing, but on a market like e-Bay there should be trust that buyer is getting the item according to listing, otherwise there is no point in e-Bay."

eBay court in full effect.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I've only ever dealt with claims through paypal, so I cant speak on ebay.

The buyer does sound genuine though. I guess all you can do is stick to your guns and repeat that it was working fine when you posted it.

Good luck.