"Louie" on FX

Comments

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    dude is a funny standup comic.

I can't get with this show tho..

I do like his stand up more and have crylaughed during "Hilarious" more times than I can remember.

But come on, you can't tell me that the idea of a remake of the Godfather directed by and starring Matthew Broderick is not funny.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

I can't get with this show tho.

the whole "mopey" thing, while endearing, is boring as far as comedy goes.

I think that says more about you then it does about Louie.

I'll agree his comedy is genius, but it's definitely not for everybody. Sorry you didn't like it man. You should check into THIS GUY.

- spidey

double poast

edith head said:

i don't know how to possibly say this without offending you but you really need to learn how to not get overly-defensive and take things personally when someone does not agree with you

OMG, EVERYBODY ON THIS BOARD IS AGAINST ME!!!!

j/k
    - spidey

just saying you always respond to posts with this How Dare You b/w a condescending You Don't Know Anything tone even when it's only comedy someone's disagreeing with you.

edith head said:
    just saying you always respond to posts with this How Dare You b/w a condescending You Don't Know Anything tone even when it's only comedy someone's disagreeing with you.

Sure, I'll work on it. Thank you.

- spidey

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    this whole if-you-don't-like-Louie-CK-you-must-love-Dane-Cook is the laziest shit ever.

the idea that Louie is the comedic yin to Dane Cook's yang does a disservice to Louie and gives Dane Cook some weird credit he doesn't deserve.

there's a ton of comedy out there (some bad, some good), that has nothing to do with either of these guys.

• Louis on Father's Day:

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    mannybolone said:
    genius .

pls be srs.
    srsly, total gns sho

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I agree this show's genius, and probably the best comedy on TV right now. Not just because its funny, or because he seems willing to experiment with the format from episode to episode. I just really like the pacing, and his willingness to let awkward situations breath, without building to some grand resolution where every plot point comes together neatly like on curb or seinfeld. A lot of the episodes are just effortlessly weird, and hilarious. The stand up and behind-the-scene bits also seem to come in the perfect doses, always leaving you wanting more, without taking away from the narrative.

And after seeing posts in this thread, I just checked stubhub. Tickets for the beacon show start at 140 bucks. Cotdamn...

rootlesscosmo said:
    this whole if-you-don't-like-Louie-CK-you-must-love-Dane-Cook is the laziest shit ever.

the idea that Louie is the comedic yin to Dane Cook's yang does a disservice to Louie and gives Dane Cook some weird credit he doesn't deserve.

there's a ton of comedy out there (some bad, some good), that has nothing to do with either of these guys.

I know man. I was just being a shit on purpose. No offense.

- spidey

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

To be fair, there is an episode of Louie with Dane Cook in it, and it plays on the whole difference in their careers and comedy, and Spidey could have been referring to that. Great episode, Dane Cook was a champ to be in it, and he is actually really funny in it.

I think Louis CK & Dane Cook come up a lot in the same sentence because there was a big feud between them where Cook supposedly used Louis CK material as if it was his own...

edith head said:
    I think Louis CK & Dane Cook come up a lot in the same sentence because there was a big feud between them where Cook supposedly used Louis CK material as if it was his own...

That was kind of what the episode of Louie with Dane Cook in it was centered around. Great episode.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

I can't get with this show tho.

the whole "mopey" thing, while endearing, is boring as far as comedy goes.

This show is great. I dare say slightly innovative in its approach, cinematography, themes covered, etc. I think it's very enjoyable and I try to make sure to watch it when it first comes on.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Rootless: dude, if people all agreed on something being funny, I'd be suspicious. The very nature of humor is that it's NOT universally received the same way. So it's totally cool if you don't find it genius but with some comedians, either it appeals to you or it doesn't. Personally, I never found Gervasis particularly funny. Definitely never got why Seinfeld was popular but hey, that's comedy.

• some people are used to a laugh track laced sit-com as their only way to gauge a comedic tv performance. this isn that, with the exception of the episode where he makes fun of how fake these shows are.

what guy can't relate to telling a girl how much you love her, and just hoping by telling her how much that she will come around and see things your way? guys do this all the time, and usually never happens..but then louie goes back to her house and totally misses her asking if he wants to take a bath together, after he had abandoned all thought of her returning his love. CLASSIC (season 2 episode 6)

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Rootless: dude, if people all agreed on something being funny, I'd be suspicious. The very nature of humor is that it's NOT universally received the same way. So it's totally cool if you don't find it genius but with some comedians, either it appeals to you or it doesn't. Personally, I never found Gervasis particularly funny. Definitely never got why Seinfeld was popular but hey, that's comedy.

I totally agree on the first part of your statement. "Genius" though, I mean, c'mon.....

• FrankieMeltzer said:
    An hour-long "Louis" scheduled for tonight. "Louis has an adventure in Afghanistan."

It was fantastic. Genius, even...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Tonight's episode was fantastic. The show is really unlike anything else on TV, not even "Curb Your Enthusiasm" which is too cynical to have the kind of heart that "Louie" is dropping right now.

Man.. how many times have I had this conversation in my life.
    _______

Louie: So do you uh do you like music?
    Cheerleader: Yah, I like music!
    Louie: What kind of music do you like?
    Cheerleader: Um, pretty much everything!
    Louie: Do you like um.. do you like Led Zeppellin?
    Cheerleader: ... Led Zeppelin?
    Louie: You don't know who that is?
    Cheerleader: No
    Louie: What about like um Van Halen? You like Van Halen?
    Cheerleader: ... No
    Louie: You don't like them or you don't know them?
    Cheerleader: I'm not sure who they are no..
    Louie: What about uh Aerosmith?
    Cheerleader: ......no..
    Louie: You don't know who..
    Cheerleader: No not sure
    Louie: Uh Steven Tyler.. uhhAmerican idol...
    Cheerleader; American Idol!
    Louie: Yah
    Cheerleader: Yah! I know who Steven Tyler is..
    Louie: He was in Aerosmith.. he was in a band called Aerosmith
    Cheerleader: Yah, he's a judge on American Idol.
    Louie: ... yah he is but uh...*cough*

- spidey

Did y'all see the end credits that the episode was based on an idea of his 6-year old daughter? I think that is awesome.

• I had a similar conversation (to the Stephen Tyler one) with a girl once who insisted that 2001 was "a Phish song".

• good show. good soundtrack. but it did take 3-4 eps to grow on me. Without too much spoiler, look at these laughs we can now share thanks to louie:

my sister really likes you / cop scene
    school bus to limo transfer
    comedy show talker
    i remember smoking on airplanes, oh my god, you're so old!
    homeless guy on a sewer replacement (wtf hahaha)
    toilet in the kitchen
    pta meeting / school sucks
    the accountant conversation ahaahaha
    nurse, nurse, come look at this

my favorite so far is Bob Saget. Bob mutherfuckin Saget shows.you.how.it's.done.

Some of the context of the jokes is a couple levels deep and that show was one of them. It's balanced out by the standup, dick jokes and the Gervais cameo. Fuckin Gervais killed it on Curb as well.

with only 2 seasons there are many, many memorable comedy moments.

The USO tour show... best so far. "so you're like an artist and stuff? Did you study.....study... dance ?" *beer out nose*

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    D.E.L.E.T.E......immediately.

batmon said:
    D.E.L.E.T.E......immediately.

Your post or this thread? Not a fan?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    just watched "Niece". probably my favorite of this season (so far).

• Got tickets to see him in November.

:feelin_it:

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    he's playing in toronto in october but i'm camping that weekend.