The Ol' Switcheroo...

Funky_MimizuFunky_Mimizu 631 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
So yesterday, I took the afternoon off to go for a dig with a couple Japanese pals... We started at noon, and wanted to hit up all the Hard Offs in the prefecture, along with a few recycle shops.

So our first stop, I scan the dollar bins, and it appears to be in the same order it was the previous week when I was there. We're about to leave, when I randomly flip open a bin filled with old J-pop idol shit. One of those half-assed flips, when you are pretty sure you've seen the contents before. Second flip, and I open the bin to Dee Dee Bridgewater's Japan only "Afro Blue", which has been on my want list! Feeling smug as hell... "Yo!" That's what I'm talking about. This is how you start the day right. Pull something quality from a dollar bin your first stop. I kinda showed it off a little, rubbed it in a bit that I found it first... So it goes.

So we're about to leave, and I decide to check the condition of the record... Cover was NM, and in a plastic sleeve. I'm not picky with dollar bin finds, and was only slightly dissapointed when I opened the sleeve, and saw that there was no liner notes, and the record was not in a paper or plastic inner sleeve.

I pull out the record... Fuckin' Beethoven record... Frantically searched the bins for the missing record, but to no avail...

Prolly switched out years ago. Someone putting the record in dollar bin sleeve or something. So it goes...

Bastards.

Bought the empty sleeve for about 35 cents. I've always wanted to hang records on the wall, but never liked the idea of putting a nice piece of vinyl away like that... That's like keeping an action figure in the box for collectability... Now I can at least hang a half decent cover on the wall guilt-free. Still pissed though.

Peace...
FNM

Comments

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    That's like keeping an action figure in the box for collectability...

Man, I'm totally with you. My action figures get played with. Tomorrow night Haz and I are reenacting the Battle of the Bulge with Army Ants.

Seriously, i feel your pain. I rarely encounter the ol' switcheroo, but I frequently get empty sleeves, which is almost as bad.

• Yeah, empty sleeves are a drag too... Not quite as bad as the switch though, because just pulling the record and feeling the weight instills a false sense of assuredness which is soon shot down. With the empty sleeve, at least your hopes are dashed almost immediately.

Peace...
    FNM

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    cool you sold one

raer

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    That Dee Dee Bridgewater lp is really dope. Does anyone have an extra sleeve? Mine is in a Beethoven sleeve.