NYC and DC recs

tallbobsmoketallbobsmoke 715 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
Heading to NYC Friday and Saturday night with my girl, then to DC solo for work related stuff until Thursday.
I've been to NYC once before and got all of the Empire State Building Guggenheim Statue of Liberty stuff out of the way. Looking for some cool spots to eat, buy records and clothes and check out some music and art. Staying at the Ace Hotel. Planning on watching Fela one night (should I buy tickets now, or get discounted tickets when I get there?) Considering checking out a rock show on Pier 17 too.

Most days will be full in DC, but my evenings are wide open. Considering checking out a Dog Fish Head pub in Maryland at some point.

Would appreciate all recs and tips.

Comments

• Yeah, I was kind of hoping for recommendations for things besides record store.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I dont know about any events or "cool spots", but just walkthru Chelsea for some art.

Stroll thru the East Village/WillieBurg for art, food, and boutiques.

Just let it come to u. Let go of the tourist appointments/check off my list of places stuff.

Union Square Greenmarket.

blah blah blah

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Ace Hotel is supposed to have a banging sandwich shop inside, although I've never been.

The hotel is right by Korea Town. I've had good Korean fried chicken at Fort Baden Baden, but haven't been there in a really long time. I'm sure the hotel can hip you to spots in that area.

Rattle 'n' Hum Bar on 33rd between 5th and Madison, and The Ginger Man on 36th between 5th and Madison are two of the best (if not the best) beer bars in Manhattan.

• hey, what's the name of that cuban joint in the east village that does amazing grilled corn on the cob slathered in butter and spices?

also, that jewish bakery with the gigantic hamantashen...

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    hey, what's the name of that cuban joint in the east village that does amazing grilled corn on the cob slathered in butter and spices?

Cafe Habana, and technically its in Soho.

NY Mag's Cheap Eats List just came out:
    http://nymag.com/restaurants/cheapeats/2010/

• The Otis Funkmeyer Band Featuring Leslie Rochelle is playing a triple set of funk 45 covers and originals Saturday July 17, 12:30 to 3am (July 18, more accurately) at the famous Bitter End on Bleeker Street. Hear us play our upcoming single ???Eye Candy??? as well as Otis???s hand picked selection of funk and soul classics from artists like Ruby Andrews, Lyn Collins, Inell Young, Sylvanus, Eula Cooper, Barbara Howard, Pearl Dowell, Betty Harris, Cyril Neville, Linda Tillary, Gwen McRae, Betty Wright and more!

The Otis Funkmeyer Band feat. Leslie Rochelle
    Saturday July 17, 12:30-3am (Sunday morning)
    The Bitter End
    147 Bleecker Street (between Thompson and LaGuardia)
    New York City, NY 10012
    (212) 673-7030
    $5 door charge

With:

Leslie Rochelle - Vocals
    Steve Hoffman - Guitar
    Adam Shlahet - Trumpet
    Marc LaGana - Bass
    Juan Carlos Stolberg - Keys
    Josh Moyer - Drums
    Shannon Seals - Trumpet
    Zac Vacanti - Alto Sax
    Tony Morrone - Percussion
    Mike Flanagan - Tenor Sax

See you there!
    -Otis

http://www.bitterend.com/
    http://www.myspace.com/otisfunkmeyer
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Otis-Funkmeyer-Band/263792642388
    http://www.allcityrecordings.com/
    Follow @otis_funkmeyer on Twitter
    check out our videos here:

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Ace has the Breslin which is supposed to have the banging breakfast -- pricey though from what I've heard.
    Nothing really popping in that neighborhood food wise, sorry to say. There's a decent brunch spot called Penelope just north east of the Ace, though (wait's a nightmare during the weekend, however).

Burgers = Corner Bistro (don't be the guy who waits in line for Shake Shack)
    Mexican = La Superior in Williamsburg -- dirt cheap and frankly as good a Mexican meal as I've had at most spots in LA, if not better. You can do that and go to Academy Brooklyn in one fell swoop.
    Pizza = not touching this one, love it but I'm not as experienced as some of the other folks on here. Lombardis, Ben's, whatever. They're all really damn good.
    Chinese = few spots, but I get down with Nice Green Bo on Bayard. Soup Dumplings there are just as good as Joe Shanghai, IMO, just not sure if you'll be getting down with soup dumplings in this heat.

If you're trying to get your $$$ food wise for a meal or two, please advise - that opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    tallbobsmoke said:

Most days will be full in DC, but my evenings are wide open. Considering checking out a Dog Fish Head pub in Maryland at some point.

There's a spot in College Park, MD (not too far from DC) called CD Depot. There wax is incredible!!! HOT SHIT og's of some good raer, decent dollar section and damn near everything else!! They get ill collections daily. If you're interested, I'm always down for a trip to the Depot. You'll be glad you went, BELIEVE ME!!

PM me if you're down.

• tallbobsmoke said:

Unless you are a diehard fan of the brewery, I would skip making the trek just for that. Tons of great food and beer selections in dc.

For really good food (and beer) check Marvin, Bar Pilar, Cafe Saint Ex.

For something more unusual, check out an Ethiopian spot. Etete and Dukem are both sure shots.

For a taste of DC history, get a chili half-smoke (with mustard and onions) at Ben's Chili Bowl.

• Now I'm getting excited. Didn't even know about Otis Funkmeyer playing. That record spot in MD sounds dope. Been to Ben's Chili Bowl last time I was in DC, but will probably do it again.

Thanks for the heads up on the cheap eats article. Exactly what i was looking for.

Damn. Wish I could stay longer in NY.