David Cronenberg VS. John Carpenter

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
Go

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Now THIS is a good one. All the "cool" film nerds are gonna say Cronenberg. I'm a fan of both, but I'm gonna have to go with Carpenter. Dude has some bonafide classics and i grew up on most of them.

Halloween, Escape from New York, They Live, Big Trouble in Little China, etc etc.

• cronenberg, if only for "history of violence" and "eastern promises"....

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Carpenter does have a few giant terds. But I still pick him over the fellow Torontonian.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm a big fan of Cronenberg's story and style progression - if you look from Shivers to Eastern Promises and all that is in-between, it's pretty amazing.

It is hard to deny Carpenter Halloween, Escape from New York and Eyes of Laura Mars...but they still don't quite live up to Cronenberg for me.

It's a hard choice on the Teen Beat aspect; Cronenberg might be from Toronto, but Carpenter was married to Adrienne Barbeau

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    Cronenberg all day. He's much more consistent and continues to make great films.. I can't wait to see "The Talking Cure".

J.C. has NOT put out a decent full length film in several years. The last o.k. thing he did was "Cigarette Burns" and thats a 45 minute feature for the "Masters of Horror" series.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    what fux w/ Escape From New York?

And didnt Halloween start the Slasher genre?

Dead Ringers is my shit though.

batmon said:

No way dude. See Bava's "Blood & Black Lace" and grip of other Italian jawns....

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts
    carpernter then...cronenberg now...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    crazy how THE THING hasn't been mentioned yet, as it is many people's favorite Carpenter film.

I think this is a bit of apples and oranges, although definitely an interesting one ... Carpenter is way more straightforward action/tension, while Cronenberg is all about the mind-fuck and quasi-surrealism.

I think Carpenter has more films that I fully ride for, but Cronenberg takes way more chances.

Videodrome was always a late-night cable brain-blower for me back in the 80's, no doubt.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    For contributions over his entire career I really should go with Cronenberg who's mixed up his style over time but always made at least one great film per decade.

However, Carpenter's output from 74 to 88 contains some of my personal favourite films of all time and he will therefore come out on top in a comparison with almost any director put up against him. JC for the win.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    this is a good one! very tough call.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Carpenter has made some of my favourite films, but I doubt he will make any more.

Cronenberg gets the nod simply for making Naked Lunch. Give most directors the book, and I bet they'd tell you it's un-filmable. It has no plot, no conflict, nothing to really drive a story-line. What it does have is a series of sketches and perverted fantasies, ramblings and anecdotes, loosely tied together by Burrough's writing style and themes of power and sexual gratification. Cronenberg had to mix elements of it's real-life genesis, Burrough's past, and the book to conjure up a story, but is there really a story? Could this film be watched with out any knowledge of the book, the writer, the 'scene'? I don't know, but I think it's brilliant art.

DustedDon said:
    batmon said:

No way dude. See Bava's "Blood & Black Lace" and grip of other Italian jawns....

They were calling it Slasher film in 1963?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    batmon said:
    Go

Carpenter, no contest. I like Cronenberg, but his style is very detached and his movies can seem a little emotionless sometimes. Most of the time, that suits the material, but I've always found Carpenter's work more enjoyable in any event. He's one of my favourite film-makers of the modern era - The Thing is not only a Private Mindgarden Top 10-er, but I'd argue it's one of the most underrated movies of the 80s and possibly the greatest remake ever.

Why the comparison, though, batmon? Apart from the low-budget/indie background, I'd say they're very different film-makers.

i suppose lynch vs cronenberg could have been a closer comparison, but lynch would still have won it

I think cronenberg had a bigger impact on me - Existenz, Videodrome, Scanners, The Fly. Probably my age. (80s kid). Discovering Carpenter in a catch up way, its clear that he makes better films, with doper soundtracks. Cronenberg does some really freaky stuff that no one else does tho. Proper skin crawling putridity.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
    I think you can compare them directly in their attempt to use weird/alien/gorey/icky visuals realistically, and I think they both do that well.

They both also mix comedy and creepy (in very different ways).

If I had to live with one filmography or the other, I'd probably choose Cronenberg only because I really like more of his movies than I do Carpenter's. But that's pure bean counting...there's no denying how great some of Carpenter's films are.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    batmon said:
    DustedDon said:
    batmon said:

They were calling it Slasher film in 1963?

Does it matter what they were calling it? Peeping Tom and all those Giallo movies share a huge amount with slasher movies. When was the term "slasher" even coined, and by whom? I know that there are some people who would say that almost anything that was made outside of the 70's isn't a "true" slasher, but then that excludes 90's revivalist efforts like Scream. At any rate, I think that the first movie credited as a slasher is Black Christmas.

Back on topic, both directors have done a lot of great stuff, but I don't really see why the comparison is being made. Is it because of Cronenberg's body horror concept and Carpenter's work with special effects in movies like The Thing?
    At any rate, I'm gonna go with Cronenberg, simply because he's produced a lot more movies that I love - has nobody mentioned Dead Ringers yet? - even though some of Carpenter's rank among my favorites of all time.

I pulled both directors out my ass. Both have cult followings.

Do they have to be the SAME to critique the flavor, taste,etc of an apple and orange.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    batmon said:

Do they have to be the SAME to critique the flavor, taste,etc of an apple and orange.

No, not at all. Just wondered if you were coming from a specific angle with it.

Crud, double post.

DocMcCoy said:

Carpenter, no contest. I like Cronenberg, but his style is very detached and his movies can seem a little emotionless sometimes.

Isn't the lack of emotion intentional in a lot of his movies? It mirrors the detached, clinical perspective that pervades much of modern life. For example, doctors or scientists of some kind play the part of villain, antagonist, or at least instigator in so many of his movies: Stereo, Crimes of the Future, Shivers, Rabid, The Brood, Scanners, The Fly, Dead Ringers, and eXistenZ. In a bunch of his other movies, that same emotionless feel mirrors various states of detachment or alienation from reality/society/whatever, i.e. Videodrome, Crash, and Spider. You can even look at the cold, mechanical, totally brutal scenes of violence in A History of Violence and see that same sort of detachment (from "self" or your own body/actions, whatever you want to call it).
    So, while it can be alienating for the viewer, I think that it's wholly intentional. Cronenberg is probably one of the best popular examples of the idea of abjection in art.

Between them they basically introduced body horror movies to the mainstream (The Thing/The Fly).

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    dwyhajlo said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Carpenter, no contest. I like Cronenberg, but his style is very detached and his movies can seem a little emotionless sometimes.

Isn't the lack of emotion intentional in a lot of his movies? It mirrors the detached, clinical perspective that pervades much of modern life. For example, doctors or scientists of some kind play the part of villain, antagonist, or at least instigator in so many of his movies: Stereo, Crimes of the Future, Shivers, Rabid, The Brood, Scanners, The Fly, Dead Ringers, and eXistenZ. In a bunch of his other movies, that same emotionless feel mirrors various states of detachment or alienation from reality/society/whatever, i.e. Videodrome, Crash, and Spider. You can even look at the cold, mechanical, totally brutal scenes of violence in A History of Violence and see that same sort of detachment (from "self" or your own body/actions, whatever you want to call it).
    So, while it can be alienating for the viewer, I think that it's wholly intentional. Cronenberg is probably one of the best popular examples of the idea of abjection in art.

Yes.

I would add that Cronenberg's movies all have heart, they have heat...it is always just bubbling underneath the surface. It makes for amazing tension and gives depth to what would otherwise be an Atom Egoyan film. Egoyan's films are very good examples of when detachment and lack of emotion do not work. Only he can make a busload of children dying as tragic as a parking ticket.

I actually think the Carpenter and Cronenberg comparison is a good one. Lynch is too psychological, even when things get really odd, you still feel like it's all in everyone's heads. With Carpenter and Cronenberg, there is a really feeling of the "other".

DocMcCoy said:
    batmon said:

No, not at all. Just wondered if you were coming from a specific angle with it.

No real or specific angle angle at all.

There are similarities. Both have those great late-nite 80's HBO classic i used to peep.

bassie said:
    I would add that Cronenberg's movies all have heart, they have heat...it is always just bubbling underneath the surface. It makes for amazing tension and gives depth to what would otherwise be an Atom Egoyan film. Egoyan's films are very good examples of when detachment and lack of emotion do not work. Only he can make a busload of children dying as tragic as a parking ticket.

Haha, it's been a while since I've seen that one. Exotica wasn't bad, though, was it? I think it's possible that, "emotionally", he was carrying way too much over from Exotica to The Sweet Hereafter. Overall, though, I do get the feeling that he's one of those directors that the CBC really wanted us to like at some point in time.

I actually think the Carpenter and Cronenberg comparison is a good one. Lynch is too psychological, even when things get really odd, you still feel like it's all in everyone's heads. With Carpenter and Cronenberg, there is a really feeling of the "other".

I agree, I don't think that the Lynch-Cronenberg comparison is very apt, beyond the fact that they make unconvential horror films. While Cronenberg deals a lot with the body and alienation, Lynch (as far as I can tell) is much more about manifesting psychic terror, which is something that I think Inland Empire does an excellent job of underlining. I think I need to read Lynch on Lynch, but that doesn't cover Mulholland Drive or Inland Empire.

dwyhajlo said:
    bassie said:

Haha, it's been a while since I've seen that one. Exotica wasn't bad, though, was it? I think it's possible that, "emotionally", he was carrying way too much over from Exotica to The Sweet Hereafter. Overall, though, I do get the feeling that he's one of those directors that the CBC really wanted us to like at some point in time.

I agree, I don't think that the Lynch-Cronenberg comparison is very apt, beyond the fact that they make unconvential horror films. While Cronenberg deals a lot with the body and alienation, Lynch (as far as I can tell) is much more about manifesting psychic terror, which is something that I think Inland Empire does an excellent job of underlining. I think I need to read Lynch on Lynch, but that doesn't cover Mulholland Drive or Inland Empire.

Off track slightly but, while Lynch on Lynch is a great and highly entertaining read, as fas as I recall it doesn't offer that much insight into the inner workings of the man. I think the most illuminating insight I ever had was the BBC interview when he described the duck's eye.

While both he and Cronenberg were always lumped into the same bracket for years I think they're pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum.

well there are some superficial similarities. they both tend to go for odd narrative forms, and there can often be a comparable mood or atmosphere, ie the alienation described very acutely above. Lynch's alienation comes from surrealism where as Cronenberg's is driven by a kind of dehumanisation of the characters. The suspension of disbelief is frequently interrupted - hang on, how can he make a gun from that fish? wait a second, those two characters have switched over? Beyond this i suppose the comparison doesn't run that deep.

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    there can often be a comparable mood or atmosphere, ie the alienation described very acutely above. Lynch's alienation comes from surrealism

I disagree. I don't think Lynch's intention is to foster a sense of alienation. His movies are generally extremely intimate.
    Eraserhead is pretty much him filming his own neuroses; Blue Velvet has some fairly graphic scenes dealing with generally private subject matter; Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, and Inland Empire explore the very innermost workings of their subjects via dreams or dream logic. I mean, Inland Empire could be described as a visual representation of someone's very personal nightmare.

EDIT: I think the real similarity between Cronenberg and Lynch is that they both try to find the fundamental roots of what it is that we find truly scary or horrifying.

Stuart Gordon deserves a mention here. He's like a poor mans J. Carpenter, never had a big budget but made some quality HP Lovecraft like genre entry's with From Beyond, Re-Animator, Dagon etc..

edit~

DustedDon said:
    Stuart Gordon deserves a mention here. He's like a poor mans J. Carpenter, never had a big budget but made some quality HP Lovecraft like genre entry's with The Beyond, Re-Animator, Dagon etc..

You mean, From Beyond, right? The Beyond is the Fulci flick. Both are great, though (poor man's nothing!)
    Gordon wrote for Robot Jox and Space Truckers are both mindgarden classics, and anyone interested in giant robots and killer cyborgs and all that awesomeness should check them out.

BTW, sorry for the prolific posting in here everyone.