all eyez on me is a 10/10 classic that is best when its 80+ degrees in the summer

deejdeej 5,125 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
i know harvey has my back on this

can you believe people used to say pac was 'overrated' all the time -- some bullshit imo

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    deej said:
    i know harvey has my back on this

can you believe people used to say pac was 'overrated' all the time -- some bullshit imo
    people still do say it

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    there's overrated and then there's overrated.

a point i've made on here is that one can be the best rapper alive or dead and still not live up to the hype that surrounds pac (e.g. people getting his face tatooed on their bodies or mothers naming their children after him). hence "overrated."

people who can wrap their mind around this concept will understand that this takes nothing away from his abilities as a rapper, nor does it negate the classique status of all eyez on me.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    and when its 77 degrees?

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    deej said:

People still say it, and guess what? They're right!

People who rep tupac are enamored by his fantasy martyr thug status which is a total fallacy.

Lyrically he's not much. Which is why his supporters always point to his voice (horrible) - and the 'emotion' he put into his vocals. BECAUSE HE WAS AN ACTOR AT HEART - faking it all the way.

This is why he sold more records after he was murdered than during his brief career - the majority of his sales are generated by jackasses who are in love with the 'romantic' idea of a dead black gangster. Which was as much his own fantasy as anyone elses.

In reality, he was not a gangster, although he thought he was, which is why his card got pulled and consequently he, pardon my french, died like a bitch.

This guy, a fake thug with a sensitive aura and hollywood aspirations, larded his records with self-mythologizing, mediocre filler. He, and his fans, also completely missed the boat on the west coast gangster era, which peaked before he started dropping his solo shit. Latecomers, and wide eyed innocents, the lot of them.

This is also why his music invariably sounds like a painfully bad clich?? - by the time he came around, the funky worm inspired gangsta sound was over. Sadly, someone forgot to tell tupac and death row records.

I guess a lot of rappers pay kudos to pac- which in itself is a cliche, fearing perhaps the backlash of dissing the tupac legacy outright, because of his popularity in the burbs, but behind closed doors most of them are shaking their heads at the tupac fenom, I can assure you. Take it from your own hero, Weezy, who listed him among his top five rappers, but then admitted: "I can't front: I was never into Pac."

What goes through the mind of a white teen moved to tears by albums with titles such as his 2nd Lp, "Strictly For My N.I.G.G.A.S.", which deserves a huge NO HOMO sticker on the cd cover?

Or the equally moronically titled debut ???2Pacalypse Now??? from 91, which I gave a fair shake when it came out, with him being ex digital underground. But, after hearing the first lines of the opening song "Young Black Male, (hard like an erection)", I had to put the headphones down, I couldn't stop laughing.

He's been a joke to me since that moment.

But not to these guys:

Have fun repping that Thug Life (scary) in the sun, "gangstas"!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    staxwax said:
    deej said:

People still say it, and guess what? They're right!

People who rep tupac are enamored by his fantasy martyr thug status which is a total fallacy.

Lyrically he's not much. Which is why his supporters always point to his voice (horrible) - and the 'emotion' he put into his vocals. BECAUSE HE WAS AN ACTOR AT HEART - faking it all the way.

This is why he sold more records after he was murdered than during his brief career - the majority of his sales are generated by jackasses who are in love with the 'romantic' idea of a dead black gangster. Which was as much his own fantasy as anyone elses.

In reality, he was not a gangster, although he thought he was, which is why his card got pulled and consequently he, pardon my french, died like a bitch.

This guy, a fake thug with a sensitive aura and hollywood aspirations, larded his records with self-mythologizing, mediocre filler. He, and his fans, also completely missed the boat on the west coast gangster era, which peaked before he started dropping his solo shit. Latecomers, and wide eyed innocents, the lot of them.

This is also why his music invariably sounds like a painfully bad clich?? - by the time he came around, the funky worm inspired gangsta sound was over. Sadly, someone forgot to tell tupac and death row records.

I guess a lot of rappers pay kudos to pac- which in itself is a cliche, fearing perhaps the backlash of dissing the tupac legacy outright, because of his popularity in the burbs, but behind closed doors most of them are shaking their heads at the tupac fenom, I can assure you. Take it from your own hero, Weezy, who listed him among his top five rappers, but then admitted: "I can't front: I was never into Pac."

What goes through the mind of a white teen moved to tears by albums with titles such as his 2nd Lp, "Strictly For My N.I.G.G.A.S.", which deserves a huge NO HOMO sticker on the cd cover?

Or the equally moronically titled debut ???2Pacalypse Now??? from 91, which I gave a fair shake when it came out, with him being ex digital underground. But, after hearing the first lines of the opening song "Young Black Male, (hard like an erection)", I had to put the headphones down, I couldn't stop laughing.

He's been a joke to me since that moment.

But not these guys:

Have fun repping that Thug Life (scary) in the sun, "gangstas"!

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

I guess a lot of [del]rappers[/del] strutteurs pay kudos to pac- which in itself is a cliche, fearing perhaps the backlash of dissing the tupac legacy outright, because of his popularity in the burbs, but behind closed doors most of them are shaking their heads at the tupac fenom, I can assure you.

btw.
    I guess deej wants to put the cat among the pigeons with this tired thread. Or he wants to have a pat on the back from Harvey or from all the other skreet savy people.

Just to give Deej some troll fodder:

Notorious BIG > Tupac

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    wow horrible posts guys kudos

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    People who hate 2Pac hate America.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    Cosmo said:

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    staxwax is right - people hate 2Pac just because he was gay

that's not cool guys

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    picture me rollin and checkout time are summer classics
    what's ya phone number not so much
    staxwax your exageratting on your hatt

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i like whats ya phone # ... yesterday I was bumping 'skandalouz' a lot.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    h8rz itt sounds like theyre holding onto some high school resentments tbh

i wish dudes would keep their tired back packer observations out of this thraed...

i haven't be able to embed vids ever since the new board started...

:shocked:

Dear Mama is my shit.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Was definitely a fan of Pac bitd, and I think a good portion of his material still sounds good, although I don't find myself returning to it as frequently as other rappers of the same era. For whatever reason, the Thug Life album was the one I bumped the most.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Soulhawk said:
    staxwax is right - people hate 2Pac just because he was gay

that's not cool guys

Cosmo said:

batmon said:
    Dear Mama is my shit.

:rofl:

To be fair, he was a decent actor. I didn't mind him in "Juice" and "Gridlock'd".

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Got ya back but ya besta watch ya front.

It's silly to me by now to even have to debate this.

It's like someone saying Richard Pryor isn't the goat of comedians.

Alright, dude. Whatever you say.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    b-b-but white kids from the suburbs!!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    What'z Ya Phone # is the shit youse is tripping.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    theres something weird/trippy about the rhythm programming on that.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    BECAUSE HE WAS AN ACTOR AT HEART - faking it all the way.

deej said:

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    After hearing each pac album like a 100 times back in the 90s there's no real urge to revisit. He's not an over-100-play rapper. He's not Leonard Cohen.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    batmon said:
    deej said:

nah i know the original i mean that like the way they looped it, theres something still rhythmically 'off'

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I must confess to getting absolutely sick of it back in the day due to it being the almost continuous soundtrack to so many of my friend's lives. However, actually revisited the whole album from start to finish a little while ago and think it's held up really well. People need to look past the standard 2pac hate and recognise that it's one of those albums where everything clicked together and one of the very few rap double albums that couldn't be easily cut down to a single disc length and I'm not even really a fan of Shakur.

• BigKBigK 97 Posts
    Had some great songs, but wasn't a game changer musically and didn't have his best work (stuff like Dear Mama), so that's why it isn't considered a total classic

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    BigK said:
    Had some great songs, but wasn't a game changer musically and didn't have his best work (stuff like Dear Mama), so that's why it isn't considered a total classic
    l

Whatever you say, dude.