Old Man Strut

gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
i am working on becoming an old man as soon as possible. school me.

Comments

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I worked at JCPenney one summer when I was 17 or 18 putting clothes that people had tried on in the fitting room back on the racks. There was this one brand called Alfred Dunner that had mix-and-match sets targeted to old ladies. Polyester pants with ELASTIC waistbands with snap-on belts and shirts that looked like tablecloths. It's like a child's clothing; comfort and ease of pulling them off to go to the potty are most important.

So, go buy some polyester blend pants with an elastic band.

In my experience, older folks have one or two products that are the answer to everything. My grandma suggests Vicks Vapo-Rub and baby oil for every type of skin irritation and most minor health concerns. We've even substituted baby oil for holy water.

You should go pick out your magic potion from the medicine cabinet now.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Almond said:
    I worked at JCPenney one summer when I was 17 or 18 putting clothes that people had tried on in the fitting room back on the racks. There was this one brand called Alfred Dunner that had mix-and-match sets targeted to old ladies. Polyester pants with ELASTIC waistbands with snap-on belts and shirts that looked like tablecloths. It's like a child's clothing; comfort and ease of pulling them off to go to the potty are most important.

So, go buy some polyester blend pants with an elastic band.

In my experience, older folks have one or two products that are the answer to everything. My grandma suggests Vicks Vapo-Rub and baby oil for every type of skin irritation and most minor health concerns. We've even substituted baby oil for holy water.

You should go pick out your magic potion from the medicine cabinet now.

My Great-Grandmother ATE a spoonful of Vicks every day.....she lived to 105.

Age is a state of mind....I know folks much younger than me that seem like "old men" to me.

There isn't much I don't do in my 50's that I did in my 20's...maybe just slower and for not as long.

Music is a great way to stay young....

And keep your life straight....do the right thing always and that will help keep stress from getting the best of you.

And if you don't believe stress will age your ass go take a look at a photo of Obama 2007 vs. 2010

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Age is a state of mind....I know folks much younger than me that seem like "old men" to me.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Why do you want to become more old-mannish, Gloom? Ironic name, btw.

Eating Vicks is seriously next level! I wonder if that stuff burns going down. I didn't think mentholated petroleum jelly would be safe for consumption.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

There isn't much I don't do in my 50's that I did in my 20's...maybe just slower and for not as long.

And keep your life straight....do the right thing always and that will help keep stress from getting the best of you.

And if you don't believe stress will age your ass go take a look at a photo of Obama 2007 vs. 2010

Can't agree more with this. I'm probably only a few years younger than you, Rock, but apart from a few aches and pains, a lot of grey hairs and the realisation that I can no longer party as hard as I did in my 30s, much less my 20s, I don't really think too much about getting older. Music definitely keeps you young, though - having a real enthusiasm for it and paying attention to what's going on (even if you find you don't always care for a whole lot of it) certainly keeps me sharp and is something I think I'll always do.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

great advice, particularly in relation to stress. thanks for making this thread a bit worthwhile.

i can already see the lasting effects of stress (jaw pain related)

have you tried the vicks treatment? i have heard others do the same, your great grandmother was not alone.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    gloom said:

great advice, particularly in relation to stress. thanks for making this thread a bit worthwhile.

have you tried the vicks treatment? i have heard others do the same, your great grandmother was not alone.

I had 2 aunts that worked at the Vicks factory in Greensboro, NC and they also ate a spoonful each day....both lived to be 90+.

No, I have not and will not eat that stuff...although I bet it keeps you regular.

Stress is a mass murderer

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I love old man steez.

I love old man jeans. The light blue ones with a hint of polyester in them for fit. You know the ones I'm talking about. They do not make them for younger men. I had to hit the vintage shop to find them. Nobody is making them for the youngster, not in demand, but I like them. Favorite jean.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    gloom said:

I had 2 aunts that worked at the Vicks factory in Greensboro, NC and they also ate a spoonful each day....both lived to be 90+.

Hey Rock,

You're right about stress. That's why I emphasize physical and emotional well-being so much in my existence. I'm blessed and I feel great about life, aging and all. I feel my 41 years at the fitness center 5 days a week, though, but then again, it's about longevity at this time of life; however, mental fitness is just as important as physical fitness, so I strive to maintain a positive and content frame of mind. A key way to do this, and I wish America would learn this, is to live within one's means! I sleep like a baby at night because I don't have to worry about creditors coming to take my shit, unlike so many people I know who are old enough to know better. We must stress the intangible over the tangible to find true peace and contentment in life. Things will never give us peace!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I love old man jeans. The light blue ones with a hint of polyester in them for fit. You know the ones I'm talking about. They do not make them for younger men. I had to hit the vintage shop to find them. Nobody is making them for the youngster, not in demand, but I like them. Favorite jean.

I'd like a visual aid. I'm having a hard time picturing this, even though I've probably seen these jeans.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Id suggest working on your back-of-the-neck-beard.
    To accomplish this, simply dont trim your back neckline for a few monthes and always wear collarless shirts.
    Get it so that your back-of-the-neck-beard is visible when people are facing you.
    You might as well let that front neckline hair start creeping out of your shirt, too.
    And eyebrow, nose and ear hair trimming should also cease.
    then you are on your way!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    When I was a nipper, I thought 30 was ancient. Kind of sniggered when I saw someone of that age dressing mildly hip.

Now I am 42, married with a mortgage and 2 kids and go to work in those kind of clothes. What, am I supposed to look like the 40 yr old virgin?

Seems to me people don't behave in the same way as the previous generation in terms of age defining them. We went away a couple of weeks ago for the sister-in-law's 50th. She is stick thin, looks good in a bikini, and was backflipping into the swimmng pool through a rubber ring. I can't do that now (believe me, I tried, but the bikini is NAGL for me).

Seems anything goes and people don't seem to bat eyelids like B.I.T.D. As an old man, I see this as a good thing

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    pickwick33 said:

I'd like a visual aid. I'm having a hard time picturing this, even though I've probably seen these jeans.

they look hot on mr. burns, trust me.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Rockadelic said:
    gloom said:

Hey Rock,

You're right about stress. That's why I emphasize physical and emotional well-being so much in my existence. I'm blessed and I feel great about life, aging and all. I feel my 41 years at the fitness center 5 days a week, though, but then again, it's about longevity at this time of life; however, mental fitness is just as important as physical fitness, so I strive to maintain a positive and content frame of mind. A key way to do this, and I wish America would learn this, is to live within one's means! I sleep like a baby at night because I don't have to worry about creditors coming to take my shit, unlike so many people I know who are old enough to know better. We must stress the intangible over the tangible to find true peace and contentment in life. Things will never give us peace!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

more knowledge being dropped. i am (to some) still a "nipper" but i DEFINITELY pride myself on living within my means. it is the most important thing that no one considers anymore.