Old Man Rap

13»

Comments

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    I Had Sex With The Lyn Christopher Record said:
    if "old ass man rap" is gonna be defined as older rappers critiquing the current state of hip hop and / or hating on the young bucks who are coming up and eclipsing their popularity or changing the game, the originators of old ass man rap would have to be mele mel, kool moe dee and the cold crush brothers... they were doing that way back in the eighties

yup.....

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    maaaaaaan, do we really have to retread the whole "Stakes Is High" shit? Fist-shaking isn't exclusive to old men, although it's definitely a good way to make boring rap music. When I was young in rap years, a lot of guys my age (myself included) were making mad-at-the-world new-rap-sucks material. It's not an old dude trait exclusively.

I started this thread with some joints that I thought were old (in different ways) but were good. Barely any music poasted since then but a lot of bla-bla.

Now I am an old man in rap years and I am looking for some rap music that speaks to me so I don't always have to be playing Luther and Blue Magic on BLS while I'm riding around

My understanding of the 'old man rap' mentioned in the op was veteran dudes in hip hop dropping tracks without complying to current trends of the genre, without mainstream chart appeal, but maybe appealing more to older heads, adhering to a certain 'classic esthetic' and having a little more substance, and perspective, lyrically. Also the sound is usually more loop based than the current sound.

shit like this

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    sweatshop said:
    batmon said:
    sweatshop said:
    batmon said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    No doubt. I remember there being some debate on here a few years ago as to whether or not Stakes... represented the genesis of Old Ass Man Rap??, or was no more than just old ass men rapping. There wasn't much by way of approval or enthusiasm for it in either event.

Good question. I guess u'd have to look at the landscape when it dropped.

Yup I agree you have to look at the landscape when this joint dropped...and you have to also consider that De La has pretty much been anti "what everyone else is doing" since 3 ft high and rising... so can you say that De La 1st LP was a precursor to old man rap?

I disagree.

3Feet High and Rising was young rappers "against the grain" of other young rappers, w/ an "Old Man" producer.

Yes, there was that one skit/song w/ that kid "Jeff- My Name is Jeff" where they dis his regular ass slang......"Beat It Kid", Brain Washed Follower.

But Old Ass Man Rap it is not.

I guess we will disagree . It is my contention that you don't have to be old to make grown folk music....which De La has been doing since day one De La was anti pretty much everything mainstream from day one..."black medallions no gold" hell isn't that what me myself and i was about? They have been looking at everything going on in hip hop and critiquing it which is what they are doing in "The stakes is high" but they have been doing it way before that joint is my point. So if people are gonna say "Stakes is high" is De La's precursor to grown man rap I say go back further. Point is De La been spitting grown man shit since what 1989..imo

"Black Medallions No Gold" was The Jungle Bros mantra.

Critique the game has always been the Game. Doin it it at 20 years old is different than 40 years old.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    sweatshop said:
    batmon said:
    sweatshop said:
    batmon said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    No doubt. I remember there being some debate on here a few years ago as to whether or not Stakes... represented the genesis of Old Ass Man Rap??, or was no more than just old ass men rapping. There wasn't much by way of approval or enthusiasm for it in either event.

Good question. I guess u'd have to look at the landscape when it dropped.

Yup I agree you have to look at the landscape when this joint dropped...and you have to also consider that De La has pretty much been anti "what everyone else is doing" since 3 ft high and rising... so can you say that De La 1st LP was a precursor to old man rap?

I disagree.

3Feet High and Rising was young rappers "against the grain" of other young rappers, w/ an "Old Man" producer.

Yes, there was that one skit/song w/ that kid "Jeff- My Name is Jeff" where they dis his regular ass slang......"Beat It Kid", Brain Washed Follower.

But Old Ass Man Rap it is not.

I guess we will disagree . It is my contention that you don't have to be old to make grown folk music....which De La has been doing since day one De La was anti pretty much everything mainstream from day one..."black medallions no gold" hell isn't that what me myself and i was about? They have been looking at everything going on in hip hop and critiquing it which is what they are doing in "The stakes is high" but they have been doing it way before that joint is my point. So if people are gonna say "Stakes is high" is De La's precursor to grown man rap I say go back further. Point is De La been spitting grown man shit since what 1989..imo

"Black Medallions No Gold" was The Jungle Bros mantra.

Critique the game has always been the Game. Doin it it at 20 years old is different than 40 years old.

Ok so The JB's said it on a De La cut .....I am done w/ this whole point Imma listen to some of the joints being posted w/ my old man steez

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    On this new AG tape, please PLEEEEEASE tell me I'm hearing this line wrong:

"I love your black berry, ain't talking 'bout your phone, baby
    I'm talking 'bout your back hairy"

WTF?!?! does not begin to explain my level of confusion!

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    Herm said:

You're hearing it wrong. He clearly says 'back heavy'.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    LordNO said:
    Herm said:

You're hearing it wrong. He clearly says 'back heavy'.

F*ck! I already used "back hairy" in a pickup line!!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

• BigKBigK 97 Posts
    That new Big Daddy Kane joint with Busta Rhymes is hot

This is the only version I could find, not that good sound quality unfortunately -

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    bassie said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Now that dudes are beginning to rap about life, and things other than rapping itself, and how terrible new rap is, it's becoming a bit more tolerable.

If only the same could happen for posting on message boards.

Burn on message board posters!

Looking forward to reading through this one.  Is there any way to restore some of the broken youtube linx?  (is there an archived version somewhere with some useful metadata, Raj/computer geeks of SS?)

Old man rap is still going, featuring the introduction of old man/woman rappers from the early 90s, including more west coast old rappers given trends bitd.  I think the quality has gone up generally.  Some cats are dorks at this point, but there's lots of interesting rap being made by old rappers.

^^ Snoop has managed to transcend age to me, but he is becoming an old man, esp for rap.  But he's Still Snoop. And I saw Kokane sing the other night at Dre Day and he was oooooon point.

This would have been/will be the greatest old man rap of all time, if it ever drops.  They already set the tone right.

No one can convince me that Eminem aged well as a rapper.

This was one of the best tracks of 2014 afaic

The new Evidence album is great.  Old man hasn't lost it.

I wish Primo got weirder over time, but the stuff that gets released is largely set in some earlier style of his. What are some of the weirder new Primo beats?

The new Royce has some amazing songs.