Q-Bert needles....

kemskems 120 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
I've been using the shure m44-7's forever now and recently had a talk with a cat that was ranting and raving about how good the new Q-Bert OM Ortofons are and recommended them to me. I'm so used to the M44's because they're tanks and I don't have the softest touch on the record when cutting so i'm real hesitant to try something else. Has anybody used these yet? If so, what are your opinions? I need to get some new stylus and am wondering if i should get different cartridges all together. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The question is: if you're happy with the M44-7s...why change?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    mannybolone said:

Yes, what Manny said. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. What works for Q-Bert may not work for you.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    i dont even think they are the best choice for turntablists from what I've heard. They definitely aren't the best for anything other than that, and they aren't cheap.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    What works for Q-Bert may not work for you.

this is cracking me up!

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Sup Los. just coped a pair of the Q Concordes last week after having the same set of 44s for years. They sound really loud and crispy, seems like the sound quality is better imo. They seem to grip just as good as the 44s too, not a whole lot of skips happening. The Concorde model seems to get dust bunnies easier with that layout. I'd recommend them but in the end it's all kind of the same.

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
    I know how you feel but I switched to the Q-Berts some years ago & was a bit sceptic as well. But....never used the Shure's again. Never threw them away, always treasured them. But the Q's are just magnificent. They take just a little time to get used to (it seems / looks like they skip faster) but that's just because you're used to those heavy Shures. Trust me, you'll love 'm. And to be honest, I bought so many replacements for my Shures while I'm still using my 1st Q-Bert needles for more than 7 years now (somehow those Shures are heavy but I always broke needles while packin' up or whatever). So in the end you'll save money with the Q's...

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    i have the q-bert ortofon concordes. if anyone is interested in them (you will probably need to buy new needles), i will let them go for cheap. pm me.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I prefer the OMs to the concords, but great needles!

• kemskems 120 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    mannybolone said:

Yes, what Manny said. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. What works for Q-Bert may not work for you.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

hahaha. It's like a new mixer, technology changes and at times it's good to take advantage of the advancements by changing, but since i've never used them just wanted to hear what people who have thought. The whole Q-Bert thing really has nothing to do with it besides that's what was recommended to me.

• kemskems 120 Posts
    YNOT said:
    Sup Los. just coped a pair of the Q Concordes last week after having the same set of 44s for years. They sound really loud and crispy, seems like the sound quality is better imo. They seem to grip just as good as the 44s too, not a whole lot of skips happening. The Concorde model seems to get dust bunnies easier with that layout. I'd recommend them but in the end it's all kind of the same.

What up YNOT? Yeah I figured that much man. I know the sound quality on those Concordes is real crispy in comparison but with my throw pillow sized fingers i'm skeptical. Maybe the other joints, too bad you stay so far away or I would come test those bitches out. I need to find someone down here with them and give them a beating.

You still go that Saturday night poppin? I wanna play next time I come up there.

• kemskems 120 Posts
    jaysus said:
    I prefer the OMs to the concords, but great needles!

This is what i'm leaning towards too thanks. Thanks to you and everyone else that offered any insight. Appreciate it.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    I switched from 447's a to qbert concords and like the tracking and output (loud).