anyone seen the AU 60 minutes BP Oil Spill special????

hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
fuck.......fuck........fuck





  Comments


  • barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Depressing as hell. But the first questions this brought to my mind are..

    -What happened to the freedom of the press in the US?
    -Why does Australia have exclusive rights to cover this catastrophe?
    -WTF?

  • HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    BP's control over the information regarding this spill is truly disturbing. People going to a public beach with a camera are being told by policemen that they are not allowed to take pictures. People are not being allowed to charter planes to fly over the spill, either.

    All this macho talk from the government saying that they 'have their foot on BP's throat' and Obama saying he consults with experts because he wants to know 'whose ass to kick' is completely pathetic.

    They aren't going to kick anyone's ass. Kiss is more like it

    BP is calling the shots here and Obama is letting them.

  • LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,518 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    BP's control over the information regarding this spill is truly disturbing. People going to a public beach with a camera are being told by policemen that they are not allowed to take pictures. People are not being allowed to charter planes to fly over the spill, either.

    All this macho talk from the government saying that they 'have their foot on BP's throat' and Obama saying he consults with experts because he wants to know 'whose ass to kick' is completely pathetic.

    They aren't going to kick anyone's ass. Kiss is more like it

    BP is calling the shots here and Obama is letting them.

    Now I am confused.
    I thought the federal government had no role in the clean up or management in the gulf post explosion.0

    Other than that I agree with you 100%.

  • sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Dear Horseleech,

    Please be advised that any criticism, either direct or through implication, of the current administration, is stricly forbidden. In future please limit your criticisms to: (i) the previous Bush administration; (ii) the so-called "Tea Party" movement and other right-wing radical groups, (iii) conservative bloggers; or (iv) an imaginary jewish cabal (i.e. banks). Please adjust your previous post accordingly.

    Thank you.

  • hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    BP's control over the information regarding this spill is truly disturbing. People going to a public beach with a camera are being told by policemen that they are not allowed to take pictures. People are not being allowed to charter planes to fly over the spill, either.

    Euroman here-- the press just ignores this? I did like that NYT piece, though, about how large oil spills in Nigeria are an annual thing and nobody seems to care.

  • jaymackjaymack 5,198 Posts
    i cant even watch this. i know itll make me sick.

  • HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Horseleech said:
    BP's control over the information regarding this spill is truly disturbing. People going to a public beach with a camera are being told by policemen that they are not allowed to take pictures. People are not being allowed to charter planes to fly over the spill, either.

    All this macho talk from the government saying that they 'have their foot on BP's throat' and Obama saying he consults with experts because he wants to know 'whose ass to kick' is completely pathetic.

    They aren't going to kick anyone's ass. Kiss is more like it

    BP is calling the shots here and Obama is letting them.

    Now I am confused.
    I thought the federal government had no role in the clean up or management in the gulf post explosion.0

    Other than that I agree with you 100%.

    If you are referencing my posts on this subject from some weeks back, you are confused - despite the fact I wrote them very clearly and simply.

    As I said back then:

    "The government???s role right now should be to compel BP to take every measure possible and lend what resources they have (ships etc) to the task - to be billed later, of course. "

    How you translate this into "the federal government had no role in the clean up or management in the gulf post explosion." is a bit puzzling to me.

  • sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Just plug the damn hole.

  • dayday 9,612 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    Just plug the damn hole.

    I doubt you're being serious, but if it were that easy I'm sure it would be done already.

    I agree with you about the administration not doing JACK SHIT about this. Everyone is in bed with each other. And people wonder why apathy is rampant nowadays...

  • SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    toss some lawyers in the hole, should fix it right up

  • nzshadownzshadow 5,516 Posts
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/30/oil-spills-nigeria-niger-delta-shell

    This is the price you pay for your consumption, no-one gives a flying fuck when it happens to poor people, but now its washing up on your shores and someone has to pay goddamn it...

  • LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,518 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Horseleech said:
    BP's control over the information regarding this spill is truly disturbing. People going to a public beach with a camera are being told by policemen that they are not allowed to take pictures. People are not being allowed to charter planes to fly over the spill, either.

    All this macho talk from the government saying that they 'have their foot on BP's throat' and Obama saying he consults with experts because he wants to know 'whose ass to kick' is completely pathetic.

    They aren't going to kick anyone's ass. Kiss is more like it

    BP is calling the shots here and Obama is letting them.

    Now I am confused.
    I thought the federal government had no role in the clean up or management in the gulf post explosion.0

    Other than that I agree with you 100%.

    If you are referencing my posts on this subject from some weeks back, you are confused - despite the fact I wrote them very clearly and simply.

    As I said back then:

    "The government???s role right now should be to compel BP to take every measure possible and lend what resources they have (ships etc) to the task - to be billed later, of course. "

    How you translate this into "the federal government had no role in the clean up or management in the gulf post explosion." is a bit puzzling to me.

    Again I agree with you 100%.
    I think you will also agree with what I said then:
    The feds have done too little too late.

  • doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    watched this yesterday, and it almost made me cry!

    what is kind of depressing is that here in euroland with the woldcup now on, nobody gives a shit! it didn??t even get mentioned in the newspapers anymore. Maybe a small article once a week which is like "the oil still flows" and a vague estimate of how much and what the plan next to do and that??s it. It seems like the media doesn??t rate it as present anymore, it??s just happening anyway, and there is other news which is more attracting to the masses like the chicks of our soccer heroes or some stupid idiot shit! WTF

    People still dont realize what a catastrophy this is and what problems this will cause in the future.

  • nzshadownzshadow 5,516 Posts
    doisn said:


    what is kind of depressing is that here in euroland with the woldcup now on, nobody gives a shit!

    Dont sweat it man, Euroman does give a shit, but was told "thanks, but no thanks"

    http://www.financialpost.com/news/Lawrence Solomon Avertible catastrophe/3203808/story.html

  • JimsterJimster The Cruffiton liveth. 6,554 Posts
    Astonishing.

    They wouldn't let the dutch ships dump filtered water back into the gulf because it isn't 99.9985% pure. So instead they make ten times the number of trips to carry the water away to be treated. Meanwhile, back at the crack in the earth...

    Eventually they tell the dutchies it wasn't such a bad idea, but please, just give us your kit and train us, because having the dutchies save the day is NAGL.

    Don't worry, BP shareholders / European pension funds will pick up the tab. Barry says so. Wasn't he looking for asses to kick? How about under your own f*cking nose?

  • doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    doisn said:


    what is kind of depressing is that here in euroland with the woldcup now on, nobody gives a shit!

    Dont sweat it man, Euroman does give a shit, but was told "thanks, but no thanks"

    http://www.financialpost.com/news/Lawrence Solomon Avertible catastrophe/3203808/story.html



    i know, many european goverments was offering help, they also had methods to close the leak but this would cause that BP/Transocean would be unable to pump oil for a few month until another drill is done. It??s all about money!!! but to refuse help at all is not a good look!
    but what i meant is not the goverments which here in euroland luckily care a bit more about nature protection, but the population just seems to ignore, or better say stays misinformed. For example, normaly when a natural desaster is hitting some population it??s all over in the media, like the haiti earthquake, the tsunami, or hurrican kathrina, everyone is talking about, donating, sending help etc. which is very nice and appreciated, but here it seems to be the sea just gets dirty, you know, nobody human involved. Latest when the stream of oil arrive on the coast of Portugal/Spain/France some here will recognize what this is causing not just to the sealife but to the people who live by the sea!

  • barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    doisn said:


    what is kind of depressing is that here in euroland with the woldcup now on, nobody gives a shit!

    Dont sweat it man, Euroman does give a shit, but was told "thanks, but no thanks"

    http://www.financialpost.com/news/Lawrence Solomon Avertible catastrophe/3203808/story.html

    This is one of those stories I don't want to believe, but knowing the kind of relentless bureaucracy we are capable of, is all too believable.


  • PepesoLPepesoL 67 Posts
    it's time for renewable energy sources to take over!!!!!
Sign In or Register to comment.