Relationship Strut: How to Get Rid of an Ex

AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
Nothing I've tried works, so school me, please.

My ex and I ended things about 1.5 years ago. It was a bad relationship and a nasty, lengthy breakup that ended with both of us calling the cops on the other. We were both young and stupid and looking back, there were red flags every step of the way. We were simply incompatible and fought all the time. Blah, blah, you've seen it before. I've moved on to better things.

The problem is, the Ex is hung up on me, and it hasn't gotten better over time. He was hung up on the girl before me, too, so I guess he just doesn't get over shit. He calls me periodically and texts me. He talks about me to other people, which has created awkward moments with mutual acquaintances. He got this older woman he was seeing to send me emails about how much he still cares and shit. He refers to me as his "best friend" when I'm not even in his life. We've talked on the phone a handful of times since the breakup (stupid me), and each time I just end up yelling, while he keeps up his disillusionment. He's been trying to contact me a lot lately, but I've been ignoring it. I finally texted back "stop bothering me." It didn't work, and I just got 3 more random texts.

Ignoring it doesn't seem to be helping and I'm frustrated. I don't want to think about this anymore, but I just can't seem to get away from it. This is just annoying as hell and I don't want to waste another 1.5 years of my life being irritated by this shit.

I know I can block his number and email, BUT WHAT DOES A PERSON NEED TO HEAR TO GET OVER SHIT?

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    sounds like a creep, get a restraining order.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Almond said:
    block his number and email

Can this be done? I wanted to do this once years ago but was told I could either block all or none. (Phone-wise, not email.)

Other than that, obviously nothing you can say will stop him from trying. You NEED to cut him off COMPLETELY. Do not respond no matter what he says or does. A restraining order might scare him off. I don't know how those work exactly, but I would think you'd need a damn good reason to file one. I know this is harassment, but is it serious enough?

Really though, just walk away and don't look back. He'll probably get meaner and meaner in order to get some kind, ANY kind of reaction from you, but if you fall for that then you've given him exactly what he's looking for. Do not react AT ALL. Not even a "f*ck off." If your friends try to discuss him or what he's said about you, change the conversation and politely ask them not to talk to you about them. EVER. Trust me, if those friends are willing to talk or even listen to what he's saying about you, then they are most likely gonna let him know what your reaction is when his name is brought up. If you're pressing them for details on what he's saying, then they'll tell him and in his twisted mind, you're still interested in what he's got to say. It's always a challenge trying to balance friendships with those people who are both your friend and his. You'll have to be very careful who you divulge personal info to because you never know who will go running back to tell him. Same goes for social networking. Be careful what your statuses say or at least hide them from people that know him. People LOVE to inject themselves in other peoples' business and anything you say on there could somehow get back to him. I assume you've already blocked him and/or have all your privacy features in place? If not, do so ASAP.

Hope this helps.

And with all due respect and without trying to sound like an asshole, just do it already, Almond! This isn't the first time you've talked about this dude and his refusal to leave you alone. You come across as a very nice girl and a sweetheart, but you're being waaaaay too nice to a dude who's very disrespectful to you. WALK AWAY AND DO NOT LOOK BACK. You won't be able to move forward if you don't do that. Not now at least.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    You need a new man who he's scared of; that's probably the only way--because he isn't scared of you. Credible threats of violence are just about the only thing most men really respect, be it state violence or violence from other individuals (usually tough-looking men with violent histories). Absent a credible threat of violence, anything goes. If you go that route though you'll likely have a whole new set of problems.

It's all a thinly-veiled protection racket that men have been running since the beginning of time, and once you're caught up in it (read: born a woman), it's hard to get out.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    cosine on HERMs points.

A clean break is needed.

No matter what he says, what he does, ignore him. not even the word "No." no final email, no explanation, no fucking nothing, its over.

you see as soon as you talk with him, you are in a conversation, you do not want this, you want him gone.

move on, he does not exist.

and do yourself a favor and check out pipl.com, search for yourself and close any open doors.

if you have to use fucking facebook, try to take some serious time away as he will be monitoring your every move.

if you are unsure of how to lock your facebook down (privacy is a minefield on that site) use this free app that will alert you to any security gaps and let you one-click fix them: http://www.reclaimprivacy.org/

twitter, flickr, four square, facebook, picasa etc, LOCK EM DOWN.

change your number, block his email and report him to the cops.

you mentioned that you have both previously called the boys in blue on each other, this is a good thing becuse if dude decides to get creepy, you will have a record of his behavior that will help your case.

A clean break girl. question your choice of friends if they remain loyal to a guy who is starting to act like this too, it might be worth cleaning house there as well.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Agree with most of the points above, particularly about a guy stepping in to have a talk with your ex if he keeps disrespecting the boundary of your non-relationship. Could be a brother, cousin, father, or friend. In any case, it's beyond time to cut him off from all contact with you.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    You need a new man who he's scared of; that's probably the only way--because he isn't scared of you. Credible threats of violence are just about the only thing most men really respect, be it state violence or violence from other individuals (usually tough-looking men with violent histories). Absent a credible threat of violence, anything goes. If you go that route though you'll likely have a whole new set of problems.

It's all a thinly-veiled protection racket that men have been running since the beginning of time, and once you're caught up in it (read: born a woman), it's hard to get out.

Oh my.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Almond said:
    BUT WHAT DOES A PERSON NEED TO HEAR TO GET OVER SHIT?

Dont respond to his texts. Get a new phone number.

Dont try to communicate or be on that understanding shit. Ur past that shit by now.

He WANTS engagement. Deprive him of that shit.

There is nothing you can SAY at this point to magically make it stop.

Dude needs time and you need some Harry Potter reading guy friends to man up if need be.

Does he have records?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I can't tell if he is dangerous and you may not be able to either until it's gone bad.
    I also can't tell if you feel uncomfortable and threatened or just annoyed and put-out.
    If it's the latter, I don't really know what to tell you other than ignore it and do what you???ve been doing, not responding at all.
    If it???s the former, then you???ll have to be more vigilant:

Herm said:
    Almond said:

You NEED to cut him off COMPLETELY. Do not respond no matter what he says or does.

You also need to start keeping track of when he has tried to contact you and how you responded.

If he shows up in person, do not get into a conversation with him. Tell him to leave you alone and not to contact you, not to use other people to contact you and walk away.
    If tries to see you again, then take your record of events to the cops, not for another call, but to ask what you should do. They will have people on staff who deal with this kind of thing. And if you don???t want to do the cop thing again, go to a women???s health centre and ask who you can talk to.
    Either way, they will have way better information and advice than a bunch of record nerds.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yup. you gotta cut him off.
    inspire yourself:

hopefully he's not someone who will escalate to some next level stalking with violent possibilities. if he is, jus tbe aware and plan accordingly. hopefully, he's not that type. i dont think and hope you dont need to find a new new boyfriend/bodyguard just for the sake of protection from this dude. but if he starts popping up in the flesh, you may want to clue in some guy friends.

dont you live in nyc?
    what about.....
    [image]http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/14935/BatmanAccent2.jpg[/image]

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

have someone beat his ass just for the time of your's he's wasted. should have been done long ago.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    haha

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    bassie said:
    I can't tell if he is dangerous and you may not be able to either until it's gone bad.
    I also can't tell if you feel uncomfortable and threatened or just annoyed and put-out.
    If it's the latter, I don't really know what to tell you other than ignore it and do what you???ve been doing, not responding at all.
    If it???s the former, then you???ll have to be more vigilant:

Herm said:
    Almond said:

You NEED to cut him off COMPLETELY. Do not respond no matter what he says or does.

You also need to start keeping track of when he has tried to contact you and how you responded.

If he shows up in person, do not get into a conversation with him. Tell him to leave you alone and not to contact you, not to use other people to contact you and walk away.
    If tries to see you again, then take your record of events to the cops, not for another call, but to ask what you should do. They will have people on staff who deal with this kind of thing. And if you don???t want to do the cop thing again, go to a women???s health centre and ask who you can talk to.
    Either way, they will have way better information and advice than a bunch of record nerds.
    he should not be in a position to f*ck with y'all. get ur ass checked

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    1)POLITELY ASK HIM TO CLEAN UP FIRE-ESCAPE/LEAVE YOU ALONE
    2) MAKE OUT WITH ASIAN DELIVERY MAN IN STAIRCASE WHILE HE WATCHES
    3)CALL BULLET -TOOTH

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Invite him to a public place then kick him in the nuts in front of everyone. That should work.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Thanks for the words, y'all. Haven't seen his face in over a year, and hope to keep it that way.

• Options
    How did he fail? Did you tell him how he failed as a friend?

Explain that and it adds closure and gives direction.

Peace
    lilmonstu

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    One photo of you and some Hells Angel looking dude strategically placed on Facebook should do the trick.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Tell him you don't like his elbows...

Do not engage him in any way, shape or form. If he's not a psycho he will finally get the point and leave you alone. More than likely when he hooks up with the next person. If he is a psycho, log all contact and restraining order.

• A bag of Lime and a shovel always seem to work

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    analog_tape said:
    A bag of Lime and a shovel always seem to work

Plastic sheets + abandoned row houses + nail gun-R.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Almond, you out of nowhere going off on me in that Rockadelic Appreciation thread has definitely kept me from posting in any of your own threads...oops, wait.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    If you haven't seen him in person that's a good step.

Apart from that you just gotta block block block. Block him on your phone, facebook, chat, everything.

Don't tell him, don't explain why.. just do it. Its the only thing you can do at this point.

Every single bit of contact with him you have is some little rationalisation in his wierd mind that you're not over him so you gotta cut every single thing to prove for damn sure that he has no chance.

Harsh, but fair to both of you.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    whats funnier than guys asking soul strut for relationship advice?
    young girls asking SS for advice.

jaymack said:
    whats funnier than guys asking soul strut for relationship advice?
    young girls asking SS for advice.

Really? With the exception of a few jokesters I thought we all gave great advice.

oh im not doggin any of the advice. some smart people post here. i just think its funny.

i guess im just very leary of putting so much private stuff out on the webs.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    jaymack said:
    i guess im just very leary of putting so much private stuff out on the webs.

this statement works so well with your current avatar.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Almond, you out of nowhere going off on me in that Rockadelic Appreciation thread has definitely kept me from posting in any of your own threads...oops, wait.

I don't know whether to be impressed by your memory, or alarmed by your ability to hold a grudge. Let it go, I was only making fun. In real life, I'm harmless and kind of dumb.