Comments

• that dude from bop street finally unloaded all that shit he's been sitting on for all these years. his overstock of crap records is almost legend amongst pac-nw record folks.

The charity estimates it will raise more than $100,000 from the sale of the record collection. It will take several weeks for employees to inventory and price the music

man, it sounds like they got their hopes up and everything...

• frenziefrenzie 174 Posts
    ...includes such artists as Styx, Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles and even Andy Williams

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    "Thursday, 140,000 records were given to the non-profit. The music comes from multiple genres and decades and includes such artists as Styx, Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles and even Andy Williams."

And 25,000 of those records are Firestone Christmas lp's.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Hard to have that many records without something worthwhile being in there.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    If 1% of them are ok, that's still 1400 recs.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    random rap?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Someone find the needle in that there haystack.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    1; he said he likes shopping at thrift stores and wants to give something back. well, he is going to see his own turds for years to come.

2; st vincent employees pricing the records to what they think they are worth. i wish this syndrome would stop. most local stores here price their sh*t from 2-10 bucks a pop now. GTFOH!

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    jammy said:

2; st vincent employees pricing the records to what they think they are worth. i wish this syndrome would stop. most local stores here price their sh*t from 2-10 bucks a pop now. GTFOH!

I see this at my local thrift all the time. The occasional rare record is always deadcheap. Rinked copies of Santana or worn stereo Beatles turds are usually around 6. The even put them behind the counter on a display.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    For the Bop Street dude to give a record away, it really has to suck.

This dude is weird. Looks like he called the news station again (bonus points for that article starting with "vinyl is back"), just like he did when he claimed "MASSIVE FLOOD AT FAMOUS RECORD STORE!!!!1!!", which was like five buckets' worth of water. The thrift store's not going to get their money back on the 8 bucks an hour they're going to spend putting price stickers on em.

Makes me want to go into Bop Street even less.

• Options
    I wanna know what kind of tax write-off this guy's getting for dumping this turd lot.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    They'll be sorry they took that donation. All that shit is gonna just sit there.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    jammy said:

worn stereo Beatles turds are usually around 6. The even put them behind the counter on a display.

This shit kills me. I was at a thrift store a few months ago and the chick said, "all records are $1 except Elvis, The Beatles and MJ. They are priced". She was absolutely right, they were priced $6-$10, in thick black marker, right on the cover. And the vinyl looked like it was stored under a car's wheel on a hot ass concrete driveway, absolutely trashed!!

It's so funny that all records are a dollar except the ones that sold 20 million or more copies. These people are fuckin' idiots!!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Hard to have that many records without something worthwhile being in there.

Normally I would agree but trust me this is all dogshit worthless records. He is doing the thrift store no favor at all taking a turd dump this big. Dude should have had a dollar bin for years but is stuck in the goldmine priceguide days. I've pillaged every interesting private and random rap record at Bop St for years now. Well, me and cpeetz and a few others on this board..

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Andy Williams?! Fack...... I better get over there right now!!!!!!! LOL Oh yeah and it was actually 50,000 copies of Firestone Christmas and I believe 25,000 copies of Pete Fountain.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    You guys never get tired of messing with Dave. He's probably doing it for a couple of reasons. No room in the new location, tax ride off, and multiple crapper copies. Aka the basement. I need to find my copy of Wax Poetics where Supreme is talking about Bop Street. Dave ended up reading my copy and crossing out Danny's face in all the pictures. Shit was hilarious.

• Options
    Smart guy,

Sometimes people don't appreciate records.

I'm always surprised to see how much fun people have listening to cheap records like Luther Vandross, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, even Kenny G...marvelous!!!

...if I had only held on that the single of Kenny Lattimore - For You I would have to be sitting indoors on the computer, looking to steal an mp3 version.

aww shucks.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    come again?

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Murdock said:
    You guys never get tired of messing with Dave. He's probably doing it for a couple of reasons. No room in the new location, tax ride off, and multiple crapper copies. Aka the basement. I need to find my copy of Wax Poetics where Supreme is talking about Bop Street. Dave ended up reading my copy and crossing out Danny's face in all the pictures. Shit was hilarious.

That was some hilarious next level high school moves in that Wax Po article, I remember almost peeing my pants when I saw that. Dave gets no love for a reason, he's rubbed nearly everyone wrong over the years at some point. Trading Bop St. stories
    with your friends and fellow collectros is nearly a sport around here at this point. I'll be interested to see how the new shop looks... no more super secret stash spots and back rooms to pillage. The old store never ceased to amaze me what you could find stashed away in some weird forgotten corner. He's also going to be on the busiest street in Ballard, the neighboring businesses aren't gonna be to keen on his shabby ways.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    PelvicDust said:
    I wanna know what kind of tax write-off this guy's getting for dumping this turd lot.

a huge one i would guess... considering that most of these records probably have almost no value... i think the thrift is fucking up by bothering to sort thru it... a huge waste of manpower... just throw it out there a few thou at a time for 2 bucks a pop... if you are going to remove the chance that people MIGHT actually find something good in there, what's the point?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    cpeetz said:
    Murdock said:

That was some hilarious next level high school moves in that Wax Po article, I remember almost peeing my pants when I saw that. Dave gets no love for a reason, he's rubbed nearly everyone wrong over the years at some point. Trading Bop St. stories
    with your friends and fellow collectros is nearly a sport around here at this point. I'll be interested to see how the new shop looks... no more super secret stash spots and back rooms to pillage. The old store never ceased to amaze me what you could find stashed away in some weird forgotten corner. He's also going to be on the busiest street in Ballard, the neighboring businesses aren't gonna be to keen on his shabby ways.

share some stories! i remember going in there in 95 and being underwhelmed, but i spent a hundred bucks and he seemed like decent folk.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    cpeetz said:
    Murdock said:

share some stories! i remember going in there in 95 and being underwhelmed, but i spent a hundred bucks and he seemed like decent folk.

In '95 the shop was about 1/5 the size of the new spot he moved to in 2001/2002? And I think he moved in all his stock from a big warehouse space.
    My personal favorite Voorhees story came from a dealer friend of mine who brought an out of town collector to Bop St.
    who proceeds to throw down a grand with Dave...
    A couple days later he decides that one of the Blue Notes he sold was
    a Mono/Deep Groove/Lexington blah blah blah so he proceeds to call up the dealer and tell him that the out of towner pulled a fast one on him and that he owes him an extra $500 or he can never shop there again.
    OOFDA!

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    If you go through all 140,000 records with a fine tooth comb I'm almost certain you'll find this gem in the haystack.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pete-Fountain-LP-Spinning-Wheel-breaks-sample-HEAR-/260627618085?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3cae9dd925#ht_934wt_980

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    DeeRock said:
    If you go through all 140,000 records with a fine tooth comb I'm almost certain you'll find this gem in the haystack.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pete-Fountain-LP-Spinning-Wheel-breaks-sample-HEAR-/260627618085?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3cae9dd925#ht_934wt_980

Or at least any version of "Spinning Wheel" and/or probably a few versions of "Put your hand in the hand".

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Stopped by a local Thrift yesterday that had just received 2,400 Hillbilly/Blues 78's.....went through and cherry picked 350 top notch titles for $100.......this morning when I went to pick them up the manager told me there were 30K more to come in the near future.......whiskey drinking music for days.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    I say mark them 1.00 each and try to dump them schitts with the quickness. A majority of them are going to end up dumpster decor anyway.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i found my way into bop in like '02 when visiting my brother in Seattle. at the moment, it was enjoyable to come across a store with that big of a stash (i just dropped in, didn't know about the store). i spent the next day really digging through the store and only then did i realize dude was sitting on an inventory that included like 60 copies of thriller and 142 copies of rumors. i found a few decent 45's there, but nothing really on the cheap. and the dude/owner was really trying to impress me by talking up all the 'diggers' who came in there. i remember him making a special point to talk about how Questlove always came into his spot.

so if he is letting go his basement, then i would concur that the thrift store is about to get a lot of hot turds.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    2x post

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Stopped by a local Thrift yesterday that had just received 2,400 Hillbilly/Blues 78's.....went through and cherry picked 350 top notch titles for $100.......this morning when I went to pick them up the manager told me there were 30K more to come in the near future.......whiskey drinking music for days.

holy shit.

photos please.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I would guess anything coming from a record store would be completely picked over and garbage.

8 or 9 years ago when Jerry's in Pittsburgh was dumping his warehouse stock (for free) I went out and got 6 or 7 moving boxes full of records. There were boxes and boxes and people were lined up down the block to get them.

All garbage. ALL of it. Every single box. Trash.

I imagine this to be the same * 1000.