Merl Saunders

niko10179niko10179 30 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
What are your favourite Merl Saunders recordings?

Comments

• i think i have all his fantasy records (they`re not too hard to find in north america) and there is something decent on each one (although the later ones have vocals with rockers i am not crazy about like tom fogerty). the self-titled one where he is sitting on the hood of a car is probably the most consistent of the bunch. he was a pretty versatile musician.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I think Tom Fogarty is playing drums, Jerry Garcia is singing. Somehow they are an ok listen anyway.

I've been listening to the car hood one, produced by David Axelrod, and Heavy Turbulence a lot lately, they are both very good to me.

I remember always being disappointed by Leave Your Hat On, the gray cover one. Might be time to listen again.

There is another one with a close up of his and Garcia's face. Never bothered to drop the needle.

Jerry Hahn's lp Moses is also good with Merl playing.

What is the deal with Soul Groovin' Not sure I have ever seen that one from 1968?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    If it's the same one I'm thinking of, Soul Groovin' came out in the sixties on a Fantasy subsidiary, either Galaxy or Fat Fish.

• LaserWolf said:

Jerry Hahn's lp Moses is also good with Merl playing.

almost completely overlooked and underrated lp. merl plays on a few other jazzfunk albums by other cats on fantasy and mainstream that are def. worth checking out but the names are escaping me now...

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    niko10179 said:
    What are your favourite Merl Saunders recordings?

Live at Keystone - Keepers

• this is the mainstream album he plays on that i really enjoy:

• starting to really hate these double posts...