The Wire theme song

WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
Figure every other topic related to this show has been covered (probably even this one) as I'm maaaaaad late to the party, just started season 5. Absolutely love it to death, don't really want to classify it as "television", really.

But one thing, why after season 1 did the versions of the theme song get so absolutely horrendous? First season was perfect --- loved it. Second season was atrocious. Third was pretty damn bad. Fourth - totally lackluster and sorta irritating. And fifth....eh...meh.

Sure, not terribly important, but whuhappen?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    First year Blind Boys Of Alabama, by far the best.

Second year is Tom Waits who is the composer and needs to be respected as such and for being idiosyncratic.

Third year is Neville Brothers, and I hate to say any thing bad about the Neville Brothers so I will stop now

Fourth year is Baltimore school kids, and needs to be respect as such.

Fifth year is Steve Earle, famed outsider country singer and Bubbles sponsor.

The producers could not have done wrong by never changing the from BBoA, but except for the 3rd season there the choice of performers make sense in one way or another.

• Woimsah said:
    Second season was atrocious.

What? Tom Waits' version is the version.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    neil_something said:
    Woimsah said:
    Second season was atrocious.

What? Tom Waits' version is the version.

Woimsah's flippin' off the wall like Lucille Ball on this one!

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    http://www.coversproject.com

enjoy the many errors....

I just went and watched 4 opening scenes and all five credits.

I like the song every year. Good song, good versions. I agree that season 1 is head and shoulders above the others, but they are good too.

Immagonna do some research on season 1s song credits, because BBoA are a harmony group, and there aint no harmony.

• HOTSOUPHOTSOUP 63 Posts
    My boy Coolout chopped the wire theme...
    http://coolout.bandcamp.com/track/the-wire-chop-3

Best I can tell it is Clarence Fountain singing the theme season one.

The band appears to be guitarists David Lindley and John Hammond, bassist Danny Thompson, drummer Michael Jerome, and harmonica Charlie Musselwhite. John Chelew is the producer.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    HOTSOUP said:
    My boy Coolout chopped the wire theme...
    http://coolout.bandcamp.com/track/the-wire-chop-3

this was doodoo

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

:beerbang:

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the season 4 is terrible (i feel bad for da kidz)

saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave your soul = cringe

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Ahh - the insight does make me appreciate the various versions a bit more.

I honestly can't stand Tom Waits as a musician. Dope actor, seems like an all around rad guy, but can seriously deal without his music.

Indeed, he wrote a good song here, but the Blind Boys of Alabama ether'd it -- his orig version is horrid (if that's the version from season 2). Every time it starts on the second season, I'd have to run for the remote so i could avoid hearing that voice -- shit drove me nuts.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    Ahh - the insight does make me appreciate the various versions a bit more.

I honestly can't stand Tom Waits as a musician. Dope actor, seems like an all around rad guy, but can seriously deal without his music.

Indeed, he wrote a good song here, but the Blind Boys of Alabama ether'd it -- his orig version is horrid (if that's the version from season 2). Every time it starts on the second season, I'd have to run for the remote so i could avoid hearing that voice -- shit drove me nuts.

:f-u: :NO:

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts