new brooklyn spot - RR

jleejlee 1,539 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
anyone in NYC area check this spot out yet?

http://blackgoldbrooklyn.com/

stopped by on Saturday and did find a few things. Seems priced pretty fairly (albeit no big steals that i saw), and while the selection is hardly full or the raers, there were a handful of good items available.

yeah, the concept is kinda cheesy with the coffee/record thing, but they seem to be doing a pretty fair job trying to make it a reputable place to find vinyl.

i picked up these two items

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Their Facebook blogging is a bit aggressive.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    crazypoprock used to clean up at the furniture stores around carroll gardens... guessing from yr pickups this is like a Carroll Gardens version of Greenpoint's Permanent Records...

i miss that area.... changed alot... no more Nino;s (as El-P called it "hate slices"), no more Sonny's speakeasy in red hook, the fresh mozz place on union st is gone (used to own the whole building w/ mozz ads painted on it, they left the business and sold the whole place in 2002.... amazing sandwhiches, can't remember the name...)

Defontes and Fernando's (potato sandwhiches, yo) are still there, as are some of the good italian delis and sandwhich shops on Court St....... in general it feels like that italian neighborhood feeling is gone...

i had a summer i dogsitted there and would walk the dog thru all the old warehouses in red hook... the Key Lime pie guy was there and someone was always working on restoring that streetcar... besides that, beautifully derelict... no ikea, no fairway, no cruiseships... remember finding horseshoe crabs washed up on the beach....

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    One of the owners is Daniel Santoro, a really great tattoo artist: http://teenageghosts.wordpress.com/

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    p_gunn said:

i miss that area.... changed alot... no more Nino;s (as El-P called it "hate slices"),

Damn ... Nino's is gone? I'm gonna miss their eggplant. I had a friend that lived across the street for a couple of years ... used to love that place. I love the attitude they'd give you if you were taking your food to go.

"Stayin' or goin'?".
    "I'm taking it to go."
    "Why? Just sit down."

Is Mazzola's bakery still open? That bread was half the reason I always ordered the eggplant.

Snagglepus said:
    p_gunn said:

i miss that area.... changed alot... no more Nino;s (as El-P called it "hate slices"),

Damn ... Nino's is gone? I'm gonna miss their eggplant. I had a friend that lived across the street for a couple of years ... used to love that place. I love the attitude they'd give you if you were taking your food to go.

"Stayin' or goin'?".
    "I'm taking it to go."
    "Why? Just sit down."

Is Mazzola's bakery still open? That bread was half the reason I always ordered the eggplant.

yeah, nino's has been gone for quite a while...

i drove by mazzola's last week... still open... every single sandwhich shop and pizzeria in the neighborhood uses thier bread... used to bring their cookies to my family on holidays...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    So what yer sayin P_gunn, is that every hood you move to turns to shit???? :oh_snap:

Don't worry, nose-to-tail locavore dining must soon be on its way to Sunnyside

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Nino's is now called Francesco. I went in after the change, and the food didn't seem much different (of course, it's not like I went through the entire menu or anything). Slices were still good. I heard that it's now run by the same folks who own Mazzola's.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    isn't there a younger foodie guy in Carroll Gardens who opened up a pizza spot a while back based on what he could observe from Di Fara's techniques? i've heard good things, anyone been?

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    selperfuge said:
    isn't there a younger foodie guy in Carroll Gardens who opened up a pizza spot a while back based on what he could observe from Di Fara's techniques? i've heard good things, anyone been?

lucali's on henry st.

pizza's good but the calzone is even better.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Lucali is top-notch. I lived half a block from there when it opened. I'd put their pizza up against anyone's.

BigSpliff said:
    So what yer sayin P_gunn, is that every hood you move to turns to shit???? :oh_snap:

i saw a white guy with tight pants on the train tonight...

p_gunn said:
    BigSpliff said:

Sounds like Crazypoprock found a new Salvation Army to hit.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Hey Williamsburg, some new inspiration for you...

HarveyCanal said:

Hey Bumpkin, Williamsburg does not feature in the thread. These dudes ruined it already and have moved on.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    BigSpliff said:
    p_gunn said:
    BigSpliff said:

Sounds like Crazypoprock found a new Salvation Army to hit.

Yes! But don't fret...any used pair of Jnco's i'll send your way...size 40 right?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    BigSpliff said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Hey Bumpkin, Williamsburg does not feature in the thread. These dudes ruined it already and have moved on.

...to Beauty Bars across the country.

HarveyCanal said:
    BigSpliff said:
    HarveyCanal said:

...to Beauty Bars across the country.