Sloppy Sampling

shawnald_reaganshawnald_reagan 318 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
I stumbled across this and thought, "Damn, that's some sloppy sampling." What are some other Hip Hop joints that have samples you've heard of that just make you cringe? Also, I once saw some local cats rapping over a sped up Rod Stewart sample that was easily the strangest thing I've ever heard someone rap over.

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    not offended or cringing

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    not a huge fan of the song but what is exactly wrong with it?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• At least Black Milk isn't rhyming over the singing. If you want sloppy "sampling" how about this?!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    You're tripping. "Holla" is genius.

DocMcCoy said:

• JUDJUD 82 Posts
    Dang, I thought this thread was going to be about people's favorite songs with sloppy sampling.

It'd be a lot cooler if it was.

• Herm said:
    DocMcCoy said:

JUD said:
    Dang, I thought this thread was going to be about people's favorite songs with sloppy sampling.

It'd be a lot cooler if it was.

It's not too late to change that.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    neil_something said:
    Herm said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    B/W

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

vs

• DocMcCoy said:

qft

• incompletejigsaw said:
    At least Black Milk isn't rhyming over the singing. If you want sloppy "sampling" how about this?!

BAN

i also cringe when i hear "sloppy sampling", but whats wrong with the Black Milk song posted?

• walter_chron said:
    i also cringe when i hear "sloppy sampling", but whats wrong with the Black Milk song posted?

okay really can you not hear where every sample pad begins? broken usually in the middle of a phrase, rather than around it?

maybe you and others can hear it but you just don't consider it cringeworthy, but I know what the threadstarter meant.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I can't believe this hasn't turned into a Madlib-bashing thread yet

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

vs

I'm ridin' with Marciano on that one. Which is the sloppy one? Nice sample though, especially since I don't even like the original song very much

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    and btw, sloppy sampling is the 9th element of Hip Hop :real_headz: :get_on_my_level:

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I prefer the Roc Marciano joint too. I didn't know about Alc's version until I went looking for the sample... I agree, the rest of the song is not all that.

But I love that, "Iiiii go out and spend my money, so they can see me styling!"

• CinisterCee said:
    walter_chron said:

okay really can you not hear where every sample pad begins? broken usually in the middle of a phrase, rather than around it?

maybe you and others can hear it but you just don't consider it cringeworthy, but I know what the threadstarter meant.

i can hear it, i thought it was a stylistic and intentional choice?

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    This schitt is horrible:

• smoking_robot said:
    CinisterCee said:
    walter_chron said:

i can hear it, i thought it was a stylistic and intentional choice?

you know maybe it was intentional. I just don't like how the samples have been broken up like that, I guess. And it seems like the chorus is pitched a little differently than the main loop. And as Phill did point out, there are some great sloppy samples in hip hop. I mean, the Top Billin' drums were a mistake right? I won't knock that. Sometimes mistakes are good but I guess I just was just thinkin that this track just sounds off to me. I bet that if I'd never heard that Lee Fields record I wouldn't even notice. Oh well, if you enjoy then please keep playin it. I don't know everything.