Joe Tex - Talkin' Dog release date?

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
i just heard this track for the first time and can not for the life of me find any info on when it was released. Definitely sounds early 60's, but who knows. the shocking thing though is the straight up drum break at the beginning which i had heard before, but would have never guessed it was from a track that sounded like this. anyway, help is appreciated!

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I have this song on a Pickwick budget album simply called Joe Tex.

I don't know the exact date or what label originally released this, but I'm assuming that this isn't Joe Tex, it's actually Sammy Taylor, a NYC soul/blues act.

Only two of these songs show up in Tex's singles discography on the Soulful Kinda Music website, "Wicked Woman" and "Goodbye My Love" (both of which were a single on the Jalynne label). I'm assuming everything else is by Taylor - both men's voices had the same timbre, but Taylor's was a bit rougher.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    makes sense, i have an otis redding album thats like that. 2 actual songs by him, the rest by somebody else.

still, any idea on the release date? the drums sound straight out of 1968, the rest sounds straight out of 1962. given, the "one" on the beat isnt really the "one" on the song, but by itself its totally a cracking break, complete with a kick accent even. i'm really curious who the drummer was. if this song was recorded past 1966 or so its not very impressive, but the style of the overall song tells me it was definitely earlier, in which case it might be the earliest syncopated, interesting drum break i'm aware of.

heres part of it for anybody interested:

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    1965 maybe.

ako said:
    makes sense, i have an otis redding album thats like that. 2 actual songs by him, the rest by somebody else.

Although the strange part about it is, Sammy Taylor's name isn't mentioned - at all.

Most albums of this type would at least credit the less-famous act in smaller print (Here Comes Some Soul From OTIS REDDING & Little Joe Curtis).

still, any idea on the release date? the drums sound straight out of 1968, the rest sounds straight out of 1962. given, the "one" on the beat isnt really the "one" on the song, but by itself its totally a cracking break, complete with a kick accent even. i'm really curious who the drummer was. if this song was recorded past 1966 or so its not very impressive, but the style of the overall song tells me it was definitely earlier, in which case it might be the earliest syncopated, interesting drum break i'm aware of.

Had to have been recorded before 1965, as that is when the Pickwick reissue would have come out. (I don't see any Sammy Taylor discogs online - he also recorded a really good album on GRT as "Sam Taylor, Jr.") I'd put it between '62-'64, myself.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    ako said:

Is it the "Here Comes More Soul" comp on Europa? That one is all over the place. Some things live, some things studio, early, late sixties, whatever.

Cosmophonic said:
    ako said:

Is it the "Here Comes More Soul" comp on Europa? That one is all over the place. Some things live, some things studio, early, late sixties, whatever.

The compilation I thought he was referring to was Here Comes Some Soul From Otis Redding & Little Joe Curtis on Somerset (which also came out as Soul As Sung By...) Four tracks by Otis from the early sixties, the rest by Little Joe from the late sixties, all tracks studio. Cover doesn't tell you who sings what, but you can guess by listening (unlike Joe Tex's Pickwick LP, where an uncredited Sammy Taylor sounds JUST ENOUGH like Joe to get by and fool the public).

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    Cosmophonic said:
    ako said:

The compilation I thought he was referring to was Here Comes Some Soul From Otis Redding & Little Joe Curtis on Somerset (which also came out as Soul As Sung By...) Four tracks by Otis from the early sixties, the rest by Little Joe from the late sixties, all tracks studio. Cover doesn't tell you who sings what, but you can guess by listening (unlike Joe Tex's Pickwick LP, where an uncredited Sammy Taylor sounds JUST ENOUGH like Joe to get by and fool the public).

Haha!

Here Comes Some Soul (Exploito)

Here Comes MORE Soul (Exploitotal)

And people think the music industry at some point turned MORE rotten...