djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
interesting...

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Thanks for posting that, sheep. Pretty good, but obviously a good few years old now.

The presentation lets it down a bit, though. No dis to Mark B, who knows his shit and everything (as borne out by the people he interviews, like Mark Rez). But it's done in such a way that it's only really going to be of interest to people who are into, or will be up on, most of it already. With a bit of rewriting and some tighter editing, you could have had a doc that satisfied the exacting standards of the purists and which also managed to enlighten the completely uninitiated or the people with a passing interest.

On the tired old topic of Missing Linx vs. Dre, though, it's funny how nobody pointed out that, irrespective of who got to the sample first, Next Episode was simply a better record than MIA.

I agree. Mark knows his shit, and was one of the OGs with the library records... not many people really look at him like that, but Marks tastes and knowledge are impeccable, and his beats are audiably next level... He makes dudes like Julianus the record gangster look pretty phony. And the Dre record *WAS* definitely eons better than M.I.A. which listening to again right now, sounds pretty Tepid. Raps are a bore-festival.

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    whoa, havent heard this since 2002. not sure if i want a re-listen.

i remember it like this: "look at this mad hyped up break i got from my #1 boutique, before the others got it from their botiques!! i totally rule botique diggin."