Where's the VH1 Hip-Hop Honors DIRTY SOUTH Thread?

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
I've been waiting all day to complain bitterly about Drake doing Pimp C's verse on "Get Throwed."

Nice to see Mystikal perform again. He looked like he hasn't lost a step.

J. Prince's video vignette was great. "At the end of the day, we the meat. The South is the meat." Haha.

Question: does Kid Capri actually give a shit about Southern Rap?

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    I've been waiting all day to complain bitterly about Drake doing Pimp C's verse on "Get Throwed."

WHAT?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    hogginthefogg said:

WHAT?
    is this serious? :(:(:(:(:(

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Would I joke about something this distasteful?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Back when Southern rap had to crawl out from under a barn to earn its keep, VH1 refused to play any rap videos period.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    what did kid capri do?

SIRUS said:
    what did kid capri do?

He DJed for the Master P Tribute which featured Romeo, Silkk the Shocker, Trina, Gucci Mane and Mystikal.

This site has the vids:
    http://www.rap-up.com/2010/06/08/video-2010-vh1-hip-hop-honors-performances/

Watch the Drake performance at your own peril.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    Would I joke about something this distasteful?
    :(:(:(

• This was an extremely poor show for a number of reasons. The one thing I did get a kick out of is when Khujo came out for Goodie Mob and the whole room stopped. The whole crowd actually seemed to be in fear and it looked like they had NO clue who he was. You could see the whole room full of 23 year old chicken heads and frat boys stop and just look like.."eww i thought asher roth and trina were here. Where's Florida? Why is this black guy so mad"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:

Jesus. Disgusting.

The idea that any one artist could singlehandedly kill hip-hop is pretty ridiculous but, having given the matter some thought, I think it can be legitimately argued that Drake has damaged it more than any other rapper in history. He's certainly done his best to castrate it.

faux_rillz said:
    hogginthefogg said:

Jesus. Disgusting.

The idea that any one artist could singlehandedly kill hip-hop is pretty ridiculous but, having given the matter some thought, I think it can be legitimately argued that Drake has damaged it more than any other rapper in history. He's certainly done his best to castrate it.

See also "Asher Roth as Ludacris."

Although, unlike Drake, I don't think any black people actually listen to Asher Roth.

hogginthefogg said:

Canada...smh.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Back when Southern rap had to crawl out from under a barn to earn its keep, VH1 refused to play any rap videos period.

That wasn't/still isn't VHI's format. BET has similarly refused to play opera.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    was scarface there and/or recognized?

gloom said:

Scarface boycotted the show. Didn't want to break his appointment with Dr. Melfi.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    gloom said:

Scarface boycotted the show. Didn't want to break his appointment with Dr. Melfi.

did he boycott publicly? why did anyone (outside of no limit) even show up?

hogginthefogg said:
    faux_rillz said:
    hogginthefogg said:

Jesus. Disgusting.

See also "Asher Roth as Ludacris."

Although, unlike Drake, I don't think any black people actually listen to Asher Roth.

Drake's ubiquity and influence is what is so pernicious about him; Asher Roth existed pretty far outside of hip-hop.

gloom said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    gloom said:

did he boycott publicly? why did anyone (outside of no limit) even show up?

Yes, he did...and um, they wanted to be on tv.

Haven't watched the show, probably never will...but what would anyone expect from VH1?

As I understand it, no mention of DJ Screw.

Jermaine Dupree got a tribute though.

Might as well have awarded Vanilla Ice for greatest selling Southern rap artist ever while they were at it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    hogginthefogg said:

Canada...smh.

Yes, we will have to take it on the chin for this one.
    BUT, he may be from here, but the people who have put this trainwreck on the rails, given it fuel and ensured that it keeps travelling at top speed are your fellow countrymen/women.
    Let's just admit it's an international disaster.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i got through about 15-20 minutes of the show before i had to turn it off. beyond seeing Mystikal do a decent performance nothing else impressed me at all. and while maybe i missed it, it seemed like the great majority of the honors were from Southern hip-hop from 2002-now and very little (if any) historical context. Even with my low expectations for VH1, they seemed to do the absolute minimum in putting together any background on the honorees.

oh yeah....and everyone in Houston (bar Cham) got even fatter. less papadeaux's and more soup or salad for these dudes.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Did anyone actually think VH1 was gonna pull off a historically correct and well thought out event?

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    bassie said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    hogginthefogg said:

Canada...smh.

BUT, he may be from here, but the people who have put this trainwreck on the rails, given it fuel and ensured that it keeps travelling at top speed are your fellow countrymen/women.

We are finger pointing here like executives in the BP oil spill. Will no one be held accountable for this man made disaster?!

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    batmon said:
    Did anyone actually think VH1 was gonna pull off a historically correct and well thought out event?

for a network that has done dozens of "behind the music" its not unfathomable to expect some level of research when doing a show of this ilk. even past "honor" shows seemed to give a bit more background on the person being honored. But this particular show seemed to skip any attempt for background info and instead seemed to go directly into the performances.

again, i hardly had high expectations, but the idea that Screw wasn't mentioned (from what i am told) suggests VH1 had no real plan to put in a lot of work on the production for this show.

Garcia_Vega said:
    bassie said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    hogginthefogg said:

Canada...smh.

We are finger pointing here like executives in the BP oil spill. Will no one be held accountable for this man made disaster?!

As BP's CEO Tony Hayward impolitically told television cameras, "I'd just like my life back." Specifically, I would like to not hear Drake every single time I turn on the radio.

Bun B needs to quit cosigning garbage...although it was good that he was the one to mention 8ball & MJG's inexplicable exclusion from being honored in some way.

No DJ Screw, no 8ball & MJG...was Three 6 Mafia mentioned at all? And how about Mannie Fresh?

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Bun B needs to quit cosigning garbage...although it was good that he was the one to mention 8ball & MJG's inexplicable exclusion from being honored in some way.

No DJ Screw, no 8ball & MJG...was Three 6 Mafia mentioned at all? And how about Mannie Fresh?

Three 6 were in the gallery of performers/honorees, so i assume they were mentioned/honored to some degree. again, i didn't watch it for more than 20mins.

Bun did a show in NYC on Thursday night last week with most the Houston dudes, so i can only wonder if VH1 honors was used to supplement other business dealings he had up here in NYC. Not saying dude can't make money elsewhere, but if you are gonna get a free trip out of the deal, you might as well make some other things happen while you are here.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Did Paul Wall perform? Love that dude and have high expectation for his next album.

phongone said:
    Did Paul Wall perform? Love that dude and have high expectation for his next album.

Quoted for when you inevitably edit/delete this embarrassing admission.

jlee said:
    oh yeah....and everyone in Houston (bar Cham) got even fatter. less papadeaux's and more soup or salad for these dudes.

What? The boy Paw Waw lost hella weight. To the point that my wife was (inexplicably) disappointed.

Also: did he and Cham squash their beef? They gave each other pounds and performed together. I was shocked.

One more thing: years ago, B.Cause and I got booked to play an "All-Southern Night" at a club. I remember that we pondered long and hard over whether Virginia (see VH1 Dirty South honoree Timbaland) was actually the South. I think we landed on "no."

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    HOGG, When you get off of a plane and you land in VA, what time zone are you in?

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Virginia is most definitely the south, except Northern Virginia which is pretty yankee.