Weak Wi-Fi Signal questions/advice

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
sorry for the incredibly dull topic

the place i'm moving into is much deeper than my current home and the wireless router does not reach the back rooms of the house very well. It's very frustrating for streaming video

i am thinking of upgrading the router to one that has 3 antennas but also was wondering if anyone has any input or experience on improving a wifi signal?

i'm currently trying to figure out if i should get a wireless "range extender" device to stick in the middle of the house or use powerline adapters instead.

i know Zzzzzzz

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I have some powerline adapters and find that they work very well. If that's on any help.

• I got a range expander for my Wireless G linksys router, it helped.

When I get a new laptop with Wireless "N" router capability, I'll upgrade to the "N" router which is supposed to have a much larger (300ft) range, and it's supposed to be much faster too. If you're laptop (or whatever device you're using) isn't too old I would check if it has N capability and then upgrade your router.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    A,

There are a couple of things.

First, what is your router? Is it 802.11g??? Or 802.11n??? The latest Draft N routers will increase your range greatly. But then you will have to have both an N router and your laptop will need to be N as well. If your laptop is some what new, it probably have N in it and you could pick up a fairly cheap 802.11n wireless router.

Setting up some sort of repeater is doable. It will just probably cost you around $100 bucks.

If you wanna try something silly, that sometimes works. Do you have a metal cauldron of some sorts? Like a big metal strainer you would use to strain veggies?

Try putting that right behind the router in the opposite direction of where you want the signal. I have had some success reflecting signal off them.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    thanks!

right now we have a Linksys G-type router that an old housemate is going to take when moving out. we are currently trying to decide between these routers

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DIR-655-Extreme-Wireless-Router/dp/B000LIFB7S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1275586824&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wireless-DIR-615-Antennas-802-11n/dp/B000QD7B6W/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1275586824&sr=1-15

i think we can use them? the devices we are using in the house are relatively new from the last 3 years. i had no idea until this thread that N routers have greater range, maybe it's okay to just go with the less expensive one without the 3rd antenna?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Get a 100ft of network cable.