Willie Nelson Boulevard (Austin -R)

SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
I follow a twitter feed from someone who works on Austin City limits and she retweeted this link:2nd Street renamed for Willie Nelson - statesman.com
Part of Second Street will now bear the honorary name Willie Nelson Boulevard.The City Council approved the change this morning as a tribute to the singer, who has lived in the Austin area nearly 40 years and sold more than 50 million records.The city will install Willie Nelson Boulevard signs this summer at every block along Second Street from Trinity Street to San Antonio Street. The formal name, mailing addresses and street signs for Second Street will stay the same, but residents and businesses along the street will be able to receive mail using the Willie Nelson Boulevard address, said Mayor Lee Leffingwell, who proposed the idea.A nonprofit group, Capital Area Statues, is raising money to put a full-size statue of Nelson on Second Street, in front of the new Austin City Limits studio. That nonprofit commissioned the sculpture and unveiled a smaller version of it earlier this month.
Harvey, why haven't you been on top of this?

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    The funny about that is there's nothing on 2nd Street that is remotely related to Willie Nelson. I can't see him going to anything along that entire strip.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The funny about that is there's nothing on 2nd Street that is remotely related to Willie Nelson. I can't see him going to anything along that entire strip.

Yep, that's the absolute trendiest strip of Austin street...even looks like San Francisco to the eye.

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    Yeah, they keep renaming streets here in Portland, OR and basically the street that cannot muster enough outrage at the name being changed gets the new street... This year's winner was 39th St which is now C?sar Ch?vez Blvd.

I have mixed feelings about changing street names. It's not such a big deal for residential owners but for businesses it can be a major pain. We purchased a property on what was Portland Blvd and is now Rosa Parks Way.

Though I remember when someone made some Malcolm X Blvd Stickers that matched perfectly the Portland street signs and put them up on major downtown street along our waterfront. People flipped out. We even had a city councilor say it was, "an act of terrorism." I laughed pretty hard at that hyperbole.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Yeah, they keep renaming streets here in Portland, OR and basically the street that cannot muster enough outrage at the name being changed gets the new street... This year's winner was 39th St which is now C?sar Ch?vez Blvd.

I have mixed feelings about changing street names. It's not such a big deal for residential owners but for businesses it can be a major pain. We purchased a property on what was Portland Blvd and is now Rosa Parks Way.

1st Street in Austin was renamed C?sar Ch?vez Blvd back in 1996 I believe.

Town Lake getting officially renamed Lady Bird Lake = GTFOOHWTBS!

Though I remember when someone made some Malcolm X Blvd Stickers that matched perfectly the Portland street signs and put them up on major downtown street along our waterfront. People flipped out. We even had a city councilor say it was, "an act of terrorism." I laughed pretty hard at that hyperbole.

The year I lived in Eugene, there was a huge uproar over the prospects of renaming the street Autzen Stadium is on (I forget its old name) to Martin Luther King Blvd. I guess the proposal eventually passed, but damn there were some bad looks as that was being discussed...especially considering that the only black people in that town play in that stadium.

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    Same thing happened the year the proposed changing Union to MKL Blvd here in PDX.

I mean I understood while all the businesses had a gripe (its not cheap to change all your business cards, letterhead, advertisements, yellow pages, etc.). Some shops used the Union street name in their business name.

It still didn't excuse some of the more shady crap people were saying about who they were naming the street for.

There was a proposal to name 26th Street here in Austin Barbara Jordan Blvd and at the time it got nixed as if how dare someone rename 26th Street. Next thing we know it gets renamed Dean Keeton Blvd...wtf? And then they eventually named some seldom-traveled, rinky dink street within the now-transformed Meuller Airport complex Barbara Jordan Blvd. Poor woman got shafted...RIP.