Can you help a strutter with their bay area funk?!

TomOTomO 169 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
So, I'm a big fan of what was going on in the Bay Area in the '70's, I've got all the LPs from:Tower of Power, Cold Blood, Malo, Azteca, Marvin Holmes (if that counts?)but I want more of that bay area sound, hard funk with tough drums and a full horn section.Basically I want anything with Gaylord Birch on too - I'm sure there's some private press stuff I've seen on sale here in the distant past that mentioned his names, but I can't remember what it was at all.Can you help a strutter out?! Thanks,Tom

Comments

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    hey, bay area funk is real deep but what i think you are actually describing (with the exception of holmes) is funky "horn rock".

check out:

-ballin jack
    -babe ruth
    -ides of march
    -wild cherry
    -early chicago
    -blood, sweat and tears

btw, gaylord birch plays on roger glenn's fantastic "reachin" lp which was produced by the mizel bros.

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    Hey man,
    thanks for the help, I'm definitely after what was going on in the Bay Area - linear drumming from the likes of Gaylord Birch, Mike Clark and Dave Garibaldi, and then latin flavours from the Escovedo / Santana families etc..

I've got the Reachin LP, gotta love EBFS, clearly inspired by the stuff Paul Jackson was playing with Herbie on Secrets.

I know Ballin Jack but I haven't heard their LPs apart from the S/T

Was it the Chicago band that played on the 'Electraglide in Blue OST'? I always see their records (numbered titles very inventive) when digging, but I need to check them out.
    Did Wild Cherry do much before Funky Music then? Got to check that out...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    ABEL on Fantasy.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Luis Gasca
    Sly Stone
    Aposento Alto
    Loading Zone
    Linda Tillery
    Pete & Shelia Escovedo
    Coke Escovedo

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

btw, gaylord birch plays on roger glenn's fantastic "reachin" lp which was produced by the mizel bros.

Love this record--one of my favorites of that sound.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Leon's Creation

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    Luis Gasca
    Sly Stone
    Aposento Alto
    Loading Zone
    Linda Tillery
    Pete & Shelia Escovedo
    Coke Escovedo

Wow, I really should KNOW my records. I've got the Linda Tillery, Coke Escovedo and Luis Gasca LPs, plus obviously the Sly Stone. I know of Loading Zone but I'll definitely check out Aposento Alto. Thanks for the advice.