Pasadena City College 7-8-05

BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I went and got drunk and made out and realized as with so many late Saturday nights that it would be so easy to get back in the car and hobble up to Pasadena, but I'm gonna pass and enjoy all the records I already got. But I love the PCC and want to hear about what you found.

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Last night was a bust so I got a good nights rest and hit up the show around 7 am.

Shit was weak like me without my human growth hormone injections, must've walked around for an hour before I finally found something to buy (and admittedly I did that more cause I didn't want to leave empty handed). Abtou 20 minutes after that some dude starting setting up with a bunch of messy disorganized tub-sized crates. I lokked through for a while and saw nothing but Gion Vanelli, and Loggins and Messina and then all of a sudden I ran into some real nice quality jazz and soul, ended up pulling 2 Leroy Hutson Doubles, a Grant Green, and Brpther Jack McDuff off the guy for a grand total of $20.

After nthat ran into fellow soulstrutters, IgotThatBeat, Toubleman, and Electrode. picked up 3 or 4 more albums but was hurting on the modern soul and left to go grub with a couple soulstrutters at Roscoes chicken and Waffles.
    After that IGTB and I got blinted and I caught a second wind and hit up the afternoon show leftovers and found a couple nice Jheri Curl/ Square Afro pieces.

Complete Rundown:

Leroy Hutson[/b] "S/T" (Curtom) - double
    Leroy Hutson[/b] "Paradise" (Elektra)
    Grant Green[/b] "Alive" (Blue Note)
    Brother Jack McDuff[/b] "The Fourth Dimension" (Cadet)
    In Search Of Orchestra[/b] "S/T" (AVI)
    Tyrone Davis[/b] "In The Mood" (Columbia)
    Bobby Broom[/b] "Clean Sweep" (GRP)
    Jeremy Steig[/b] "Monium" (CBS)
    Reverberi[/b] "Schumann, Chopin & Liszt" (PA USA) - Overspent on this (more than a dolar), this is when I thought I was going to go home empty handed.
    Ben E King[/b] "Let Me Live In Your Life" (Atlantic) - Thanks to whoever it was that hipped me to this in the "Lamont Dozier produced" thread
    Nicholas[/b] "Tell The World" (Impact) - gospel modern ousl with Patrice Rushen & Paul Jackson playing in the band.
    J.Blackfoot[/b] "City Slicker" (Sound Town) - more modern soul. Los Angeles label from '83

any questions?

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    It's never truely a record show without going to Roscoe's afterwards!!! Had fun meeting up with other strutters and comparing in the trench stories. I always find it hard to go there on a small budget because I always find something just out of my spending limit. But this time I bit the bullet and spent $60 to get...

RAMP -- Come into knowledge (pre release edition w/out artwork, anyone have an extra empty sleeve of this?)

Little Royal -- the full length lp from 1972 with Jealous and Razor Blade as well as some other scorchers.

Leon Thomas -- ??Leon Thomas?? Album

Pixies -- Doolittle

Anyone else notice more girls there than before?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Anyone else notice more girls there than before?

no, but I did notice that it smelled better than usual

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    i'm moving to la because it'll make me pay

• must've walked around for an hour before I finally found something to buy (and admittedly I did that more cause I didn't want to leave empty handed)

sounds like just about every time i've ever been there since 1999. used to get there about 5 and noticed the quantity and quality of the records was about the same when i arrived at 7 or 8.