Kraftwerk and Bambaataa

StoneHandsStoneHands 341 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Found this reaction kinda weird - dudes dont seem to approve of planet rock.. strange considering dudes were all about deconstruction and all that.

I feel that Part of the reason new kraftwerk kinda sounds dated with their new stuff, is the fact that their vision of future kinda rests on synth sounds and computers, rather than an ever-evolving understanding of music and sound. any thoughts?

Comments

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    agreed, unpleasant watch.. someone invent a timemachine go back to the late 70s or early 80s and fix this plaese.

and that he still thinks that bambataa stole his music is really really sad imo.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    and that he still thinks that bambataa stole his music is really really sad imo.

he did steal it.

• doomdoom 305 Posts

he did steal embraced it.

• minimini 879 Posts
    "I really disliked it at first and today I think a little different" Wolfgang doesn?t hate.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    he did steal it.

Yeah, Planet Rock was an instant classic, but let's call a spade a spade here.

Im all for Hip Hop Appropriation and all that sample shit, but to expect every sampled artist to agree w/ Hip Hop's technique is suspect IMO. "Why are those older artists mad at Hip Hop Artist #277?"

Do they get paid for that shit? Were they credited? Were they asked? Is it a collabo?

Im sorry but Hip Hop was jackin' peoples stuff.

• perhaps james can share his thoughts on this again.

coke and cocaine,
    bread and flour,

soulstrut could really benefit from another pedantic thread...

• doomdoom 305 Posts

Im all for Hip Hop Appropriation and all that sample shit, but to expect every sampled artist to agree w/ Hip Hop's technique is suspect IMO. "Why are those older artists mad at Hip Hop Artist #277?"

Do they get paid for that shit? Were they credited? Were they asked? Is it a collabo?

I feel you, but I mean this sample discussion started in the 80s/70s and its 2010 now. Pioneer in the 70s? Yes. In 2010? Hells the fuck no. Not news in any way I guess, but it was sad to me.

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    Not directed at Kraftwerk...

But people shitting on samplebased music as a whole in 2010 is not a good look. Not respecting the end-result, not respecting the music, but focusing too much on the craft itself. Thats some Yngwie Malmsteen shit right there.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Planet Rock does not need to be validated by either Kraftwerk or copyright law to stand in greatness. it's just not relevant.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

It's not a hip hop thing...

The whole idea of culture in music or film is that someone takes an influence or idea and builds upon it with their own works.

You can name Elvis, Beatles, Led Zeppelin... Some of their biggest hits are borrowed idea or straight up rips of other musical influences.

Just put "led zeppelin steals" in Google and there are thousands of links.

It's not a hip hop thing...

The whole idea of culture in music or film is that someone takes an influence or idea and builds upon it with their own works.

You can name Elvis, Beatles, Led Zeppelin... Some of their biggest hits are borrowed idea or straight up rips of other musical influences.

Just put "led zeppelin steals" in Google and there are thousands of links.

Led Zeppelin just "Embraced" Howlin Wolf.

• StoneHandsStoneHands 341 Posts

My issue is not even with the whole 'jackin' issue, which is just a semantics thing. at the end of the day, hiphop used other peoples recorded material, no matter which way you slice it. My issue is with which side of the fence Kratfwerk falls on. I understand if youre some folk-jazz dude, who's all about the 'artistry', but if youre Kraftwerk, who's aim was to kinda mess with the whole real vs. fake, man vs. machine, this condescending attitude is offputting. Again though, maybe this punk aesthetic we assign to Kraftwerk is an assumption on our part...