Jordans

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
I was a broke highschool dropout selling lottery tickets for minimum wage in a stationary store that doubled as a portal to hell. It was 1990 in New Zealand, I was smoking too much weed and didnt give a fuck about anything. And then, one day while walking through town to go play streetfighter with my friend Matt (who always played Blanka, what the fuck?) i glanced through a window and my world turned upside down. Shoes. That?s all they were, just shoes. But these were so much more. They were fucking beautiful. They were unlike any other shoe i had ever seen. Shit they didn?t even look like shoes, they looked like a spaceship had landed in my town. Everything about them exuded cool. The soft leather outer, the mesh panel on the side, the clear sole with the red Jumpman logo swimming beneath, the reflective tongue with its crisp stitching and the shape unlike any tongue I had seen. Even the laceholders were beautiful. I needed these in my life. These shoes would elevate me to status light years beyond stoner lotto store monkey, these shoes were my ticket to the big leagues, I had to have them, i had to own these shoes.For the next two months I saved and saved, nothing would veer me from my course, my mission, my destiny, I would own those shoes. I worked my shit job selling lottery tickets to lifes losers, I packed my lunch, I cut down on weed. I FUCKING CUT DOWN ON WEED.And then, I had it, NZ$350. Holy shit, I was there, I had finally saved up enough money to buy a pair of Jordans. My life was about to change.I withdrew the money and headed to the store, fuck my Avias, today is graduation.Sold Out.Crushed? Proper. But $350 brought a lot of weed.So, Jordans, don?t step on em, tell your story, which one is your favourite?For me, itll always be the 5. The elusive 5.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Had the original version Air Force Ones...what we knew then as the original $100 sneaker.

And get this...I actually played a season of organized basketball in them.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    3 and 4. Found a pair 4's in Amsterdam for 149 Guilders back then, only pair left and it was my size. It was meant to be...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I was never a fan of Jordans. The only ones I've ever purchased are the black 23's that came out a couple years ago. They were $200 and I can count on one hand how many times I've worn them. (Bought into the hype-related)

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    1. III
    2. IV
    3. I
    4. V

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Blue XIV is one of my favorites. Just wish I didn't trash them when I was in my teens...

the other pair of Jordans I owned at one point. Trashed these as well.

to add to the list of trashed...I must say I had good taste in sneakers as a young kid! (These are likewise my grails)

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Cool story, NZ, I can relate. It's funny that you were basically half-way around the world and shared the same great adolescent experiences - weed, Street Fighter 2 and Jordans.

b/w - My favorite Jordans were the "Spitfires" (forgot what number) and the 11's.

b/w - Air Force 1 high's have to be the heaviest sneakers in existence. Bricks!

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    1. III
    2. IV
    3. I
    4. V

Close.

The III's were the first pair of sneakers I really wanted, this was probably 3rd grade. My dad wouldn't buy them for me and I didn't get them until they were first retroed in '94.

The white/black/red IV's were the first jordans I got, followed by the same colored Vs. After that, there wasn't a pair of jordans that I liked until the XI's.

My taste has not changed since I was a kid. The above are the only Jordans I still buy...the last pair being the white/fire red IIIs.

hey yuichi what size you wear?

I got some good condition blue low XIV

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    IVs in the blue colorway. Tho only pair of J's I've ever owned. I was still wearing kids' sizes, so no air bubble. Someday I'll splash out for another pair. They had a pair of retro Is in black and grey last winter, but I wasn't trying to spend $110.

My taste has not changed since I was a kid. The above are the only Jordans I still buy...the last pair being the white/fire red IIIs.

When I was younger I liked them all up to XIV.

I pretty much am only interested in those 4 models at this point but I could get with anything 14 and below + 16 in the right circumstances.

Low snakeskin XI are not bad as a casual shoe

this colorway XVI kills it imo

People with smaller feet can rock the more big basketball looking shit better, but some stuff looks wack at certain sizes

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    III's and XI's are my choices, i missed out on buying the XI's though, i bought an og pair of III's a few years back from my step fathers cousin, dude happened to be an 11 and a half too.

peace,xavier

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    I'm with nzshadow. I was a sophomore in high school when the III's dropped, and them shits were my life! But now, looking back I think the V's are the rawest out of the first five.

Grape & Ice Vs are one of my favorites, but they go for some heavy coin these days.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i recall in 6th grade was the year shoes vs parents became an issue in my household. Nike Air Flights were about 6months old, but at $90 were still limited enough in my school/town that I asked for them as my only Xmas gift. i still remember my dad being on some "wtf" am I doing spending almost $100 on tennis shoes.

fast foward 6 months, and somehow i was able to finagle my folks to get me some white Jordan 6's. The first and last pair i would own for over a decade. Jordan 5's were & are my favorites, but those were 'last season' and i know i had to jump on the offer to get these shoes (as my only b-day gift) or i may never be able to get them again.

ffwd to 2008 and they reissue Jordan 5's. i am at Fulton Mall at 9am on a Saturday buying 2 pairs. Walking home i felt (like nzshadow) that i finally made it.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    1. IV
    2. V
    3. III
    4. VI
    5. II (low)
    6. I

Whilst I dont mind the VII and even the VIII (i even have a pair of each) i generally dont fusk with anything after the VI.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I am the only one that doesn't like Jordan's?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    hey yuichi what size you wear?

I got some good condition blue low XIV

I wear an 8.5

Not too interested in the lows however.

yeah they are size 13 but figured I'd give it a shot

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    I am the only one that doesn't like Jordan's?

posting in a jordan thread? possibly, in general definitely not.

• calkutacalkuta 160 Posts
    Jordan 3's are the nicest then 4's and 5's, and i'll probably catch hell for this but i love some of the spizikes, depends on the colour though.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• calkutacalkuta 160 Posts

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

So, Jordans, don?t step on em, tell your story, which one is your favourite?

For me, itll always be the 5.

The elusive 5.

i feel the same way. for me the 5 turned my head and made my jaw drop, but i was only in 4th grade and couldn't convince my mom to buy them. what kind of 10 yr old would ask for a $100 pair of sneakers? In a way i related to my mom, $100 is crazy...but when i was in 5th grade i finally convinced her to get me a pair of Jordan 6's for my 11th bday.
    still i remember walking through emerald square mall checking out 7th grade girls and seeing dudes walk with them rockin the Jordan 5s...i just couldn't step to that.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

spizikes are a mockery of everything the Jordan series stood for. you may as well combine a fanny pack with a slap bracelet and then punch the dude who bought one in the face.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

And then, one day while walking through town to go play streetfighter with my friend Matt (who always played Blanka, what the fuck?)

Sometimes I'd play as Zangief, if only because against Blanka, you simply do the spinning pile-driver move just as the voice says "Round 1, Fight!", and the computer Blanka always starts off by walking forward, straight into the pile-driver. Double perfect every time.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

I begged and begged to get these joints (or ones that looked like them) when they came out. My Mom refused to get them, said I trashed all my shoes in three months anyway. These shoes were dumb popular and I was stuck wearing some Asics. And then the shoe jacking started. Kids catching beat downs for their Jordans. I saw plenty of people walking home in socks. "Yo, yo, nice shoes kid, what size are those? Let me try them on, don't be scared, I'm just going to try them on." Got to the point where jackin' Jordans was just as popular as chain snatching.
    I've been an Air Max dude for a while now, but the other day I cound't find some that I liked, so I picked up my first pair of Jordans. They are kind of uncomfortable but I bought them anyway. It was one of those "Fuck it I'm going to do it" moments. Its weird that the shoes still hold so much status for me, and I've never been a sneaker head.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

So, Jordans, don?t step on em, tell your story

You ridin' clean
    But ya gas tank is on E
    Be steppin' out, ain't no decent shoes on ya feet

That's just the meter broke
    Youn't know'cha talkin' bout
    Anyway, them new Jordans finna come out

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    Grape & Ice Vs are one of my favorites
    x1000000
    i dont think i ever lusted after a pair of shoes like i did when those came out. havent lusted for a pair like that since either.

• Bumping this as Grape V's have been mentioned, I'm sure most that like them know they've recently been reissued.

Copping Fire Red V's with black tongue and embroidered 23 this Saturday.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts