Do It -vs- Movin'

BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Was going to be BT Express vs Brass Construction but it boils down to this.Pick one, I guess if you pick Movin, you can also have Changin.Help me decide.

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I saw BC in 03 or thereabouts. Vocals were done, finito, quite sad really

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    Movin On - but they both are super classic dance floor heat!!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Do It probably had a bigger impact on first listen, so I might have to go with that. But....

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Like both, but I'm going with "Movin'"

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Have to go with Movin as picking up a load of BC records on the strength of their cover outfits was one of my happiest early collectro experiences.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Movin'.

On the same level as Galaxy and a few others -- irreplaceable groove and one of the best horn lines of the era, IMO.

Unfuckwithable. BT Express is amazing too -- but it's really the first 16 bars that do it --- shit fizzles out quicker.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Movin'.
    -- irreplaceable groove and one of the best horn lines of the era, IMO.

I can listen and enjoy the whole extended version of movin, where as i get restless even playing the 45 of BT's Do it

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I've never even gotten around to buying the single of "Do It Till Your Satisfied" (the full title), let alone the elpee.

The groove is good, but it is skeletal and doesn't take you but SO far. "Movin" has a little more altitude, aptitude, AND attitude.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    Ok well Brass Construction and B.T. Express are both Brooklyn bands...I don't see why one has to be better than the other as they are both amazing! May as well throw Mandrill and Crown Heights Affair into the mix.

"Do It Til You're Satisfied" is great for it's skeletal groove..."Peace Pipe" from the same album kills...but for the real disco heat from B.T. you gotta go for "Can't Stop Groovin" "Energy To Burn" "Does It Feel Good To You" etc.

I think i prefer "Changin'" to "Movin'" but that's probably because i have the promo 12" for that one and "Movin" only came out on a UK 12" which is crazy rare...remember back in the day when Pearson sold a copy of the first Brass Construction lp for like $50 on ebay and everybody flipped out?

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

the real disco heat

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    "Peace Pipe" from the same album kills

"Peace Pipe" is on this album:

But yeah, it's a great track. And I think Do It Til You're Satisfied is a fantastic album...lotta top-quality grooves on there.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I don't see why one has to be better than the other as they are both amazing!

"I respect their hustle"

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Movin' by quite a bit!
    One of my favourite songs and a huge influence on my musical listenings when i first heard it.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I always wondered about Carlos Ward's inclusion in the BT Express lineup. Playing disco-funk by day, skronk-jazz by night. An Ward interview would be pretty interesting. He's got to have some killer stories from both camps.

Listening to the "African Space Program" by Dollar Brand (w. Ward) now. Recorded the same year as "Do It...", but aesthetically worlds apart.

I don't see why one has to be better than the other as they are both amazing!

"I respect their hustle"

that's because they hustle with every muscle!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Movin' by quite a bit!

Now, which version is the best?

OG?

Can't find audio for the dance instruction version. Anyone have a rip of that?

this is my B.T. Express jam

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    "Can't Stop Groovin" "Energy To Burn"

that's my shit. i think Energy to Burn might actually be my favorite LP by BTE. "make your body move" has a cool intro and i love "energy level" too.

Can't find audio for the dance instruction version. Anyone have a rip of that?

I've got that "Direct Disco" LP...I'll try to find it and rip it...although it's pretty clear that the OG is the best version...if you have ever been to the Loft and heard Mancuso play it you would agree!

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
    Movin' !

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I'd rather dance to Do It. It's funkier and has more swing.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

OG?