Broke record collectors

analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
I always found it funny how a record collector claims he is broke but may be sitting on $50,000 worth of records. I have sold records to people that are holding alot of rare stuff but will cry about not having any $$$ to go out. Then yuo have these cats living in moms basement at 35 years old just so they can buy that $400 piece to cross off their wants list.

Comments

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    claims he is broke but may be sitting on $500,000 worth of records.

yeah, you been to Bill's Records & Tapes in Dallas?

• analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts

nah man, does that spot have alot of heat

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I thought this thread was going to be about guys that come into shops, pull out $200 worth of merch to listen to, spend $8, try to use a credit card and moan about sales tax

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

tons! warehouses full! but none of it is for sale. A good amount of the stuff in the actual shop isn't even for sale. And then come the complaints about being broke and in debt. but this is another thread i guess.

• analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
    I thought this thread was going to be about guys that come into shops, pull out $200 worth of merch to listen to, spend $8, try to use a credit card and moan about sales tax

Johnny i know what your saying, that's wrong.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I always found it funny how a record collector claims he is broke but may be sitting on $50,000 worth of records. I have sold records to people that are holding alot of rare stuff but will cry about not having any $$$ to go out. Then yuo have these cats living in moms basement at 35 years old just so they can buy that $400 piece to cross off their wants list.

This describes a friend of mine back in the UK to a T.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Maybe they gettin high off they own supply.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts

This describes a friend of mine back in the UK to a T.

This also describes a friend of mine just change the age to 40...it's real easy to collect rare records when you don't pay any bills....time to grow the hell up.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts

tons! warehouses full! but none of it is for sale. A good amount of the stuff in the actual shop isn't even for sale. And then come the complaints about being broke and in debt. but this is another thread i guess.

Huh a warehouse full of records and shop full of records but none of them are for sale? Is he open for business to supposedly sale records?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

HAHAHA

Or the dollar bin record is too much.

Make it .50 cents and don't charge me tax bro.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Huh a warehouse full of records and shop full of records but none of them are for sale? Is he open for business to supposedly sale records?

More like a front for NAMBLA

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    North
    American
    Marlon
    Brando
    Look
    Alikes

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'm cheap like a mugg on the record buying...wind up selling way more than I pick up...but yeah, I will grind a dollar bin like there is no tomorrow.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Hey, give 'um credit! Just 'cause you listened to it doesn't mean you liked it. Isn't that what the listening station is for, to weed out the dogs?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Hey, give 'um credit! Just 'cause you listened to it doesn't mean you liked it. Isn't that what the listening station is for, to weed out the dogs?

I try not to stock too many dogs.

You know what they say... roll around with dogs, get fleas.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

i gotta watch it at jonny's store.... the more i listen the more i buy!

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    i guess that's why he calls it "good records". ratio of heat to crap is very high in there. 1 of the 10 best boutique record stores i have ever been to anywhere.

Not trying to imply that Paycheck stocks dogs, but sometimes you don't like something, not 'cause it stinks, but more because it's not your thing...when it comes time to play "elimination" with them records, may as well have that record go home with somebody who really likes it, you know.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Not trying to imply that Paycheck stocks dogs, but sometimes you don't like something, not 'cause it stinks, but more because it's not your thing...when it comes time to play "elimination" with them records, may as well have that record go home with somebody who really likes it, you know.

Yeah, but I know you know the dudes that JP is talking about...generally they are also the dudes who dont put back what they listened to...leave them in a pile and piss and moan how you wont give them a "quantity discount" because they want to buy 3 $25 records and only want to pay $30 for all three, with a CC and dont understand that you HAVE to charge sales tax on a card purchase. So fucking glad I dont have to deal with that shit anymore...working in a great record store is cool, but its jackasses like that that make it a real drag.

Yeah, but I know you know the dudes that JP is talking about...generally they are also the dudes who dont put back what they listened to...leave them in a pile and piss and moan how you wont give them a "quantity discount" because they want to buy 3 $25 records and only want to pay $30 for all three, with a CC and dont understand that you HAVE to charge sales tax on a card purchase. So fucking glad I dont have to deal with that shit anymore...working in a great record store is cool, but its jackasses like that that make it a real drag.

Now THAT, I can understand.

Specially when these same jackasses have the raw nerve to ASK for a discount, which is something you EARN. And in the meantime, these are the same people who tie up the listening station listening to records all the way through...

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Personally, if I'm in a record store I don't never ask for a discount. If you as a customer frequent that store and deserve a discount you'll receive one. We're damn lucky to still have stores that have the vinyl we want to buy and the owner or whoever will look out for you if you deserve it. Buy spending your money in these stores you're assuring that these stores will be around in the coming years. So to JP and anyone else on here that owns or works at a record store I commend you for dealing with these idiots that I know you see on a daily basis. Keep the culture alive!!

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    "It's funny that a man could hate another man cos of the price he put on a record."

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    You got to give respect to get respect.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    people who:

a. brag about never spending more than $5 on a record

or

b. post Boots Randolph records in Weekend Finds threads

have a lot of nerve to be poasting in this thread

hijack for personal reasons...

Soulhawk, aint you the one that has a Butch Vaden on Fortune? Im still after one, plaese to holleur if you ever find another...

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    yup, tough one - I plan on playing it this evening when I DJ at the Melvin Davis show w/ Mr Fine Wine - Melvin Davis allegedly plays on it( Fortune house band related)

cool...there is one dude here in town that has a copy, but he aint budgin'...been 3 or 4 years now since Ive been tryin to get him to sell it to me...no luck

Dude is always broke so I figured he would sell it for a bill, but no...hey, not a hijack afterall! This is indeed about a broke record collector...

people who:

a. brag about never spending more than $5 on a record

or

b. post Boots Randolph records in Weekend Finds threads

have a lot of nerve to be poasting in this thread

SOULHAWK COMPARES PRICES WITH HIS BUDDY
    "Wait a minute, you paid more than me for that raer? Guess my dick is smaller after all!"[/b]

• If your broke, your currently fucked in the game. If your broke and buying records your probably fucked in the game forever.