Distrostrut: Question for the Canadian Strutters

subsub 311 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
i run a label that has a world wide distribution. in reality though our distribution is only able to deliver to the key countries/markets. now we have released an album by a band recently that is about to go on tour in canada. as this is not within our distribution's reach i wanted to try to address some distros directly to get the album into the shops in canada. unfortunatly i don't have any knowledge about the canadian music market. can anyone point me towards the most important distributions in canada? the release is soul/funk music, released both on vinyl and cd...thanks in advance!

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    If Canada is not a key country/market, which are? Serious question.

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts

I would think DOR should be able to point you in the right direction...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Naw, I've been out of the game for too long. And all I can say is... Most stores do a main part of their distro from the states.

While there might be a couple of companies doing their thing in Toronto or Montreal. A lot of the time, they don't last...

Use to be really tough also when our dollar sucked. So, it could be better now. (Tho, I'm betting it's still better for a store to buy through US distro).

But yeah, I have know idea who is still around dealing.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,099 Posts
    Outside Music has been around for a long time, but I don't know if they have an focus on soul/funk music.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    if you don't get your answer here, could talk to some record stores who can probably fill you in.
    and yea, to follow DB, kinda weird you're leaving Canada out otherwise.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    give these guys a holler. it may not be their sort of thing but they have a great reputation and the dudes are friendly. at the very least, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Scratch Distribution. Wholesale. It's what occupies most of our time. Here at Scratch we sell to hundreds of stores across Canada and the US. Most of what is on the web site is available at wholesale prices. If you are a store or a mail order operation, and can prove it (loads of scammers pretend to be stores in a sad attempt of saving a few dollars for them and their friends), get in touch. We can send you a huge catalog, and add you to a weekly new arrival wholesale email list. We ship anywhere, quickly and efficiently.

We currently distribute several hundred labels, and focus on our exclusives. If you are a distributor we also sub-distribute our exclusives and semi-exclusives. Visit our Exclusive Labels section for more info on these releases. Or perhaps more accurately visit the section in a the future and often over time as there is very little there yet!

The bottom line-If you are a store or distributor on this planet, please get in touch with your needs and interests and queries, and we'll hook you up with all the info you need, a catalog, and give you the personal touch.

Write [email]commerce@scratchrecords.com[/email] with your particulars. Or call 604 687 0499 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 604 687 0499 end_of_the_skype_highlighting and say hello.

• subsub 311 Posts
    If Canada is not a key country/market, which are? Serious question.

well i'm german so our main focus is continental europe & uk along with japan. usa once in a while but the weak $ used to be problem. i've heard good things about canada though and some labels i know sell well there but we're some bound to our distribution which doesn't have a sub distribution over there...

• subsub 311 Posts
    give these guys a holler. it may not be their sort of thing but they have a great reputation and the dudes are friendly. at the very least, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Scratch Distribution. Wholesale. It's what occupies most of our time. Here at Scratch we sell to hundreds of stores across Canada and the US. Most of what is on the web site is available at wholesale prices. If you are a store or a mail order operation, and can prove it (loads of scammers pretend to be stores in a sad attempt of saving a few dollars for them and their friends), get in touch. We can send you a huge catalog, and add you to a weekly new arrival wholesale email list. We ship anywhere, quickly and efficiently.

We currently distribute several hundred labels, and focus on our exclusives. If you are a distributor we also sub-distribute our exclusives and semi-exclusives. Visit our Exclusive Labels section for more info on these releases. Or perhaps more accurately visit the section in a the future and often over time as there is very little there yet!

The bottom line-If you are a store or distributor on this planet, please get in touch with your needs and interests and queries, and we'll hook you up with all the info you need, a catalog, and give you the personal touch.

Write [email]commerce@scratchrecords.com[/email] with your particulars. Or call 604 687 0499 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 604 687 0499 end_of_the_skype_highlighting and say hello.

thanks for all the infos! i'll try outside and scratch...