So, The NHL...

HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
...will be back in business this October. The last week has been full of trades & free agent signings. Does anyone stateside still care - or even Canadians for that matter (besides Aser & I)?I feel bad for you Toronto folks - the season is a few months off & it looks like its gonna be an unavoildable disaster.Edmonton Oilers rule!!!!!Peaceh

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I know very little about hockey, but I know this much... the Flyers are now officially the team to beat.

• Hockey playoffs are the best.

• Options
    If they make the playoffs this year, I'd be very surprised. Talk radio is going to short out their mic's with the volume of tears.

K.

• Hockey playoffs are the best.

don't like 3/4ths of the teams make the playoffs in hockey ?

if you don't make it you suck.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    the Flyers are now officially the team to beat.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    the Flyers are now officially the team to beat.

Flyers have made some nice moves, but there has been so much league-wide reassigning of talent, with more to come, that you can't call anybody tops right now. It would be easy for the fans of half the teams in the league to only look at the players they just got and say, "we have the illest line-up, holy shit!" So many hot shit players on new teams, it's crazy. I'm a Bruins fan, and we seem to be only signing dudes over 32 years old (McEachern, Murray, Brian Leetch, Zhamnov) but we also have a core of young players in place, including good young goaltending, Thornton, Bergeron, etc.

As far as changes, the fact that Thornton and Samsonov are now going to have unlimited free agency next season, instead of three years from now, was a hard pill to swallow. Since I'm usually a stuck up and sentimental traditionalist, I expected to hate the rules changes - but I'm actually down with almost all of them, even shootouts don't bother me much, because the regular season is an overlong farce to begin with. I'm psyched to have touch-up offsides back, and although I hate goal-hangers, no red line will be a welcome change.

I'm not coming running back with my wallet open, like, "all is forgiven, take it, take it all!!" but I'm pretty amped to watch a damn hockey game at last!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    "and to be increase fans the NHL is going to give them what they want.....this year they will be playing football!"

Letterman last night.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I'm excited to watch the Wings again, but I didn't like getting this news:

The Detroit Red Wings placed defenseman Derian Hatcher and forwards Darren McCarty and Ray Whitney on waivers Monday, effectively cutting ties with the three high-profile veterans.

McCarty? What are they thinking?

McCarty? What are they thinking?

Lol, just kidding - McCarty was a playoff monster for those guys. I've noticed NHL teams - as much as everyone talks about the playoffs being the only thing that matters - will cut the lunchpail dudes who come up huge in the playoffs, cause they don't think they deserve the pay raise a veteran earns with their low scoring during the season...yet their $7,000,000 per year superstar withgaudy reg season numbers will go invisible in the postseason, as the real hockey players scrape and fight for every point. Lame.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    no way there's hockey fans here? and you guys admit it? i thought was like saying u like buck 65 or dj shadow level haha. but for real, im a toronto native, but i've always hated the leafs cause my friends love them, guess i have to be different that way...my team was originally the quebec nordiques the day they obtained peter forsberg in the lindros trade, because i used to be huge into the world juniors and i witnessed peter forsberg slaughter team canada by himself and make paul kariya look like a girl...forsberg also won the world juniors for sweden by scoring one of the craziest goals i've ever witnessed, he made up for a phuck up he did in a split second...anyhow since quebec disbanded my team was colorado...now that forsberg is back with philly (the team he was originally drafted by) they will be my team.

ps: the quebec nordique logo is my favorite in sports, so simplistic and tough

REPRESENT!

ps: i haven't been much into hockey the last two years, but im definitely catching it this year, with the new rules, i think the stars will shine, plus i want to see the hype about "The Next One" Crosby...irony would be if he won the Lady Byng trophy cause then the headlines write themselves: "Byng Crosby"...heyoooooo....(retracts from displaying his hockey knowledge)

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

McCarty was a playoff monster for those guys. I've noticed NHL teams - as much as everyone talks about the playoffs being the only thing that matters - will cut the lunchpail dudes who come up huge in the playoffs, cause they don't think they deserve the pay raise a veteran earns with their low scoring during the season...yet their $7,000,000 per year superstar withgaudy reg season numbers will go invisible in the postseason, as the real hockey players scrape and fight for every point. Lame.

Exactly. As much as I like watching Datsyuk play, it doesn't feel right to see a proven playoff warrior like Yzerman getting one mil while Pavel holds out for four.

forsberg also won the world juniors for sweden by scoring one of the craziest goals i've ever witnessed

Yes, that was an insane goal. Shootouts in the NHL this year, like I said I resisted that shit, but there will be some night my team wins on the final shot of the shootout with a move that has the goalie so twisted his helmet flies off, and I will like shootouts for that night, at least. That goal is on like postage stamps and cottage cheese tubs in Sweden and shit!

make paul kariya look like a girl

the trick would be to make Kariya not look like a girl!

ps: the quebec nordique logo is my favorite in sports

I play a lot of pick-up hockey, and I got this jersey from eBay a few years ago that was so ill, it was the "Cornwall Aces" and they were the Nordiques' AHL team, and the jersey was the Quebec design, with a logo of four playing card aces in the center...it was so sick...and it got GANKED from the front hall of my house, while drying out...dope jersey or not, who steals someone else's sweaty clothes??

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    forsberg also won the world juniors for sweden by scoring one of the craziest goals i've ever witnessed

Yes, that was an insane goal. Shootouts in the NHL this year, like I said I resisted that shit, but there will be some night my team wins on the final shot of the shootout with a move that has the goalie so twisted his helmet flies off, and I will like shootouts for that night, at least. That goal is on like postage stamps and cottage cheese tubs in Sweden and shit!

make paul kariya look like a girl

the trick would be to make Kariya not look like a girl!

ps: the quebec nordique logo is my favorite in sports

I play a lot of pick-up hockey, and I got this jersey from eBay a few years ago that was so ill, it was the "Cornwall Aces" and they were the Nordiques' AHL team, and the jersey was the Quebec design, with a logo of four playing card aces in the center...it was so sick...and it got GANKED from the front hall of my house, while drying out...dope jersey or not, who steals someone else's sweaty clothes??

haha no way, you saw the goal too? it was crazy man, the phucking dude shifted his momentum while in full stride to reach backwackwards almost as if delaying physics and inertia! that goal transformed me. that's an ill jersey, my most prized possessoin is my OG nordiques cap seen here(i'l gonna score me a forsberg nordique jersey off the ebay when i have $ to burn which will probably be next life):

• I can't wait for the season to start! My LA Kings look to be contenders again with the signing of Roenick and Demitra. Having Robitaille on board for another year will give us a proven scoring threat. We may have lost Allison to the Leafs, but Dustin Brown looks like he may crack the roster this year. I'm definately getting that NHL package tv deal to be able to watch all the games. All the moves these past week have been CRAZY!