That new Massive Attack album

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
is rubbish.i was geeked as well.major letdown.thats all.

Comments

• I thought it was pretty good - nothing thats gonna shock people in 2010, but solid and recognizable as their work. Not a fan, but an observation after hearing it a few times. What's your gripe NZ?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'll agree for the most part, but I'm really feeling this cut.

- spidey

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    i think their best album is protection & no protection (remixed by mad professor). i couldn't really get with anything beyond that. one of my favorite album covers, too.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

dig this tune ALOT. Kind of a weird Leonard Cohn vibe to hit.
    Album as whole is "eh".

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    i think their best album is protection & no protection (remixed by mad professor). i couldn't really get with anything beyond that. one of my favorite album covers, too.

You couldn't get behind Blue Lines? Bold statement, sir.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I thought it was pretty good - nothing thats gonna shock people in 2010, but solid and recognizable as their work. Not a fan, but an observation after hearing it a few times. What's your gripe NZ?

Blue Lines, Protection and Mezzanine all felt like albums, (100th Window, not as much but it was more a solo album)this one is just so damn disjointed.

Live they are amazing, a very heavy sound, the album versions of some of the live tracks i heard last year are weak.

Marrakesh in particular.

I really dug the claustrophobic sound of Mezannine and this new album just sounds lame in comparison.

the Burial rumours, if they amount to anything would be worth a listen, i think he could inject some claustrophobia back into their sound.

they fucking rule live: a very intense sound, i was hoping for the same but was disapointed.

Going to see them in a few months with Shadow in Belgium, it will hopefully be another heavy gig.

Favorites:

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    the first couple of LPS yes, but for me they started slipping after protection.

the first couple of LPS yes, but for me they started slipping after protection.

Mezzanine is my favorite. And thats after playing the fuck out of Blue Lines, Protection and No Protection.

Great band.

is SO MUCH BETTER. (no vocals, much heavier, almost insect-like sounds)they used it as their intro and fuck me if half the audience started having asthma and panic attacks.

this version is playschool in comparison.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Blue Lines was great when it came out but the majority of it has aged pretty poorly.
    Protection felt over polished even at the time but there's a couple of lovely songs on there that transcend the dinner party feel of the album.
    Mezzanine is probably the one that's held up the best but, and this is not its fault, has had a lot of the power sucked out of it by adverts, use in films etc.

I couldn't get with 100th Window at all and this new one sounds, for want of a better word, really lacking in balls. It's like an aural wash that doesn't stick to anything or leave any impression once it's finished.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Live they are amazing

Saw them in 95 during the Protection tour and they killed it. Heaviest Bass ever, DJ work, video animation (Mururora Atoll Greenpeace type of steez) and overall one of my top 10 concerts, totally mindblowing (and not just only because I was young).

Saw them around 2006 and they sucked big time. Not (only) because I grew older, but because they "guitared" everything, like every song. The Guitar guy kept soloing, and one of the drummers had to keep the percussions of "Unfinished Sympathy" during the whole track which kind of looked ridiculous and 3D emulated scratches with some strange device...I still rate them top 3 when it comes to my musical influences....BUT...there is a reason Mushroom left at one point...nevertheless, as said, the Wild Bunch and everything that they came up with afterwards was truely inspiring...so far, I think they were the only British "somehow HipHop-band" that made it to "Yo MTV Raps" at the time...not that that is saying much, but I'm just saying....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ2j2OV-6aM

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    agreed, pretty shit record.