anyone mess with Walking Dead?

13»

Comments

• All the stuff you are speculating on will come.
    The first season was purely building it up.

Read the books. Way, way better.
    They won't be able to reproduce the books on a mere TV show.
    It would have made a great trilogy of films in my opinion.

As Tripledub says there are more characters to come..one who if done right could be one of the best of his kind on TV.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    i know people like to be critics and of course to each his own, bu i wasnt mad at the series.
    im a fan of the comic and its a faithful adaptation of the feel of the book. they deviate quite a bit with the story and characters...adding new elements like the CDC, the Rican old folks gang, the rednecks, TDog. but i thought the special effects left nothing to be desired and that the actng was pretty damn good for a horror thing.

so anyway...dont expect too much in the way of comedy or reduced human soap opera...thats what the book is all about. its basically, what would people do under extenuating circumstances. for real though, two of the best characters are yet to come onto the scene, one bad one good.

cool. i'll i'm not mad at a series either. Just venting after being little let down by the final three episodes. I think the potential is really high for this show and I'm pleased to hear that some new characters will be added to the mix.

Is it worth me picking up the books? - will my enjoyment of them be influenced by having seen the series first?

edit: thanks for the reccomendations above!

• i picked up the books on soulstrut recommendation and have been reading them regularly for over a year and a half. there have been some outstanding and unforgettable storylines woth a lot of character development along the way. it can get a little soap opera at times...but youre following a core group through their survival travels, so it wouldnt be realistic for it to be 100% zombie bashing. in a way, the zombies become almost incidental to the human interactions, whether it be arguments,passion and cooperative efforts or dealing with antagonisitc, unknown groups of people.
    like i mentioned above, the tv show doesnt follow the same plot as the book, so all surprises will not be given away when you read it. actually, youll be pretty fucking surprised early on. the book is up to issue 87 and it takes less than ten minutes to read each one, so you would have a nice body of work to rip through. i recommend it.

• tripledouble said:
    i picked up the books on soulstrut recommendation and have been reading them regularly for over a year and a half. there have been some outstanding and unforgettable storylines woth a lot of character development along the way. it can get a little soap opera at times...but youre following a core group through their survival travels, so it wouldnt be realistic for it to be 100% zombie bashing. in a way, the zombies become almost incidental to the human interactions, whether it be arguments,passion and cooperative efforts or dealing with antagonisitc, unknown groups of people.
    like i mentioned above, the tv show doesnt follow the same plot as the book, so all surprises will not be given away when you read it. actually, youll be pretty fucking surprised early on. the book is up to issue 87 and it takes less than ten minutes to read each one, so you would have a nice body of work to rip through. i recommend it.

iPad users:

i have ish's 1-87 in a dropbox folder. if you're interested, hit me with a PM. and yes, because of the portrait landscape and zoom options on the iPad, it makes reading these easily accessible, hyper portable and still enjoyable.

• I'd highly recommend people taking up that offer.

Walking Dead has got me investigating other Comics from Image.
    Awaiting Invincible which is highly recommended by a lot of people.
    Morning Glories and Skull Kickers are very good too.

• i bought my first 'graphic novel' like two months ago. since then ive ripped through walking dead, 100 bullets, preacher and Y the last man..... better late than never i guess.

also, i haven't messed with the show because i wanted to plow through the books first. after this thread, im uncertain that i will.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    If you like those you should read Fables.

• CousinLarry said:
    If you like those you should read Fables.

the comic book store dude walked books 1 and 2 of fable over to my house last weekend when he was delivering some copies of The Boys.

[i dropped over $400 on books the first time i walked in, so i think i may have become their customer of the year.]

• vintageinfants said:

also, i haven't messed with the show because i wanted to plow through the books first. after this thread, im uncertain that i will.

i definitely like the book more, but the show is cool in my book. i am definitely a very receptive viewer of most things....i tend to try to sit back and enjoy rather than pick apart. and it wont really mess with enjoyment of the book as its more of an interpretation of the book's storyline.

whats fables?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    My favorite character from Walking Dead is The Governor. If they ever get to him on the TV series you know they're going to water him down and fuck him up. I really can't see how they're going to get all that sex and killing onto this show. I like the show and the cast so far, but it really does suck they're changing to a less experienced director to continue the series. I thought Darabont was a wonderful choice. You know who I think is free and would be an excellent choice?

- spidey

• who that?

for real though about the governor. him and michonne. hardcore.
    no way they can stay true to the book with that, or it wil be the illest shit ever on the tube

• Exactly what I was talking about.
    The governor could be the one of the best on screen bad guys ever.
    Only films would be able to do it justice.

There is a book out now call the rise of governor or something..

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    George "I started this zombie shit and this the motherfucking thanks i get?" Romero

- spidey

• tripledouble said:

whats fables?

from what i gathered from dude's synopsis, it's all of the classic fairy tale character stuck in real life NYC. kinda drawn like fan boy spank fiction, but apparently really dark.

im currently ripping through The Boys (ayo) and loving it, highly recommended.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    tripledouble said:

whats fables?

from what i gathered from dude's synopsis, it's all of the classic fairy tale character stuck in real life NYC. kinda drawn like fan boy spank fiction, but apparently really dark.

im currently ripping through The Boys (ayo) and loving it, highly recommended.

The idea behind it is, the Fables exist in a separate Fable world, but when it is taken over by a dark power those who survive are forced into exile in our world. The first couple books really just set up the characters, by three or four they really get rolling.