anyone mess with Walking Dead?

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
i got hipped to it through an old comic book thread on soulstrut and have been reading it ever since. an AMC pilot series is in the works, scheduled for Fall release

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    whahappen to my beautiful pictures??
    doh.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I am a fan. I tend to read the trade paperbacks in a sitting. I do wish HBO was doing the show, so they would be able to stay true to the books.

seems like people have hoped for this AMC venture tho

wow. that was retarded.
    some people have high hopes for the AMC venture tho
    is what i meant

• Oh yes.
    #1-48, 1088 Pages.
    Just picked this up at the library the other day. I'd read most of it over the years sporadically through TPB's but reading it in one or two sittings is pretty amazing. I'm not really a huge fan of zombies but the series is really well written. And I love how Kirkman won't show any of his characters mercy.
    Find out more

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I've been a big fan ever since FSNS recommended it in a Waxidermy thread several years ago. I'm a huge fan of Zombie fiction, and something of a Romero camp purist and I think Walking Dead is very well written and genuinely scary. Like the best zombie apocalypse stories, the living are a much scarier force than the dead. I strongly recommend checking out at least through the first 8 volumes of the trade paperback.

I am really looking forward to the AMC series. Darabont could be perfect to do it (based upon his work on The Mist) and AMC seems like a good home for an edgy, dark series (based upon Mad Men and Breaking Bad). Then again, Darabont could be schmaltzy (see The Majestic) and AMC isn't perfect (see the Prisoner remake), but I remain optimistic.

• chrisflyerchrisflyer 275 Posts
    I liked the first 6 or 7 TPBs, but after a while, I felt like it was just spinning its wheels and not going anywhere. I wish they had a dedicated story arc and/or end point instead of making it up for as long as they want or can (see: The X-Files).

feel you about the wheel spinning. but looking for some sort of resolution is more like a movie, neatly sewed up after two hours.kirkman seem to try to be realistic with things...i like how he has non intention of getting into "what caused this mess" stuff. youre pretty much just riding along with the folks dealing with the shitstorm.

i ride with:

the castings look pretty damn good for the show.
    i dont have great expectations (i mean its zombie cinema, not masterpiece theater) but andrea looking mighty good

i havet been disapointed with any of the story arcs so far. i really liked the post-prison "fear the hunter" canibal thing.

• chrisflyerchrisflyer 275 Posts
    It just feels like every book is the same:

- "maybe we should just live here forever, we have all the ______ and _______ we could ever need"
    - "oh no, turns out we need this, better go wandering off"
    - "oh look, new people, we should let them join us, maybe they have something we can use" vs. "no, they will slow us down and use up our supplies"
    - YELLING
    - zombies follow them back to the camp
    - run away, find new shelter

repeat in the next book. I liked the first ones because they mixed up the formula, but the last 3 or so I've read have felt stuck in a rut. It's been a minute though, so I could be mis-remembering.

the zombie apocalypse will be repetetive

• WHAT? SPINNING WHEELS? Maaaan, I've found this book to be gripping (AYO!)in terms of characterizations and plot twists. It certainly not your typical chop and slash zombie plot. As far as Kirkman developing his characters this shit is literature. Amazing amazing writing.
    SPOILERS BELOW IN WHITE:

[color:white] You dudes didn't enjoy the whole zombie fight pit in the town with the psycho leader and the mutilation of rick and that badass with the swords? HOLY FUSK! The chick with the sword just got crazier as a result and that's scary for the other characters. What about how Laurie and her illigitimate son were killed? Damn that shit was unexpected! [/color]

Also, where the hell did that potato come from?

feeling you on the stories and michonne. she is like the angel of death and shit. andrea is pretty bad ass wth the sniping.
    the whole strategic maneuvering around the prison defense and dealing with the hunters was real dope. its funny how the zombies get almost incidental to what the group is going through sometimes.

October 31st, bitches! They finally put the trailer up officially, I've watched it several times and it's given me a serious nerd boner. I'm not sure if the player will embed below, but here's the link in case it doesn't: http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/video?bcpid=86227333001&bclid=88963904001&bctid=593569611001

So, who caught the Pilot? Based upon the ratings, a shitload by AMC standards.

I really liked it, although I was not blown away. Let's just say my expectations were met but as a fan of the comic I had set a very high bar. The level of gore was great, and the final scene in Atlanta satisfied my need for monster mayhem. I liked the slow pace for the first episode.

Andrew Lincoln's southern accent was a bit ragged, reminiscent of McNutty's bawlmerese in season one of the Wire. Fortunately he spend most of the episode walking around dazed and not talking.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    So, who caught the Pilot?

Damn, I missed it. I'm sure they'll be running it a few more times. I'm really amped about this show!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It was ok. Parts impressed, others were are little cringe worthy. Hopefully it will improve as it goes on.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Damn, I missed it.
    cough

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Caught it on demand last night. I hooked but I thought it was a little uneven acting wise.

• gonna watch tonight. not expecting the world, but looking forward to at least some suspenseful moments (even tho i know whats gonna happen)

ive read that they add diffreent plot twists, like passing through a CDC facility doing some shady shit

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I enjoyed the first episode.

• Okem said:
    Damn, I missed it.
    cough

thanks man. watched it last night to get my mind off elections (although thinking about zombies to get your mind off american electoral politics doesnt work too well).

goood stuff. they fleshed out Morgans character which was good. acting wasnt stellar overall, but in the realm of horror productions it was more than passable. zombies looked great, the tank scene and the hospital stairwell got my attention. i'll definitely be tuning back in

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm unfamiliar with the comic, and for the most part I always expect these type of shows when developed for TV to be absolutely terrible. So when I watched it with no back knowledge and no expectation, I have to say I was really impressed. The effects were well done, the acting was okay but for a series you have to expect there to be room for growth on that. But it was really scary at parts, I have to admit. They did a really good job with atmosphere.

One thing - I hate zombies. Like #1. The single most feared thing in my life is zombies. I have always been terrified of them, and so I hate them. But the scene when dude goes back for the bike-rider, for the first time I felt empathy and felt bad for these poor critters. So yeah, I think I'll watch this show.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Hey -
    I really enjoyed it - altho the pilot was zombie holocaust / end of days 'by the numbers' - each scene, moment, and character dilemma is more or less tried and tested fare -

the child zombie - dawn of the dead - waking up in the hospital oblivious to the disaster - day of the triffids - the choppers - nuther dawn of the dead reference - the family hiding in the boarded up house - night of the living dead - the sleeping city overrun by the undead- omegaman ( etc. etc.)

still I enjoyed it a lot - being an admitted and total sucker for this kind of thing -
    and the length of a tv series means they'll really get to run with and expand on stuff that has only ever been sketched out in other fare.

Loved the tank scene and the horse (so red dead undead nightmare) - il be watching this all the way for sure. Plus I never read the comics so its all new to me.

Zombies FTW!

• I never read the comics either but loved the show. I hope it gets better.

• Grandfather said:
    I never read the comics either but loved the show. I hope it gets better.

i got really hooked on the comics this past year. the opening show was cool and well done and im a keep watching, but the plot lines and character development in the book is astounding. opening show was just a formality compared to when the real unfolds

and btw, they dont seem to be doing an exact replication of the comic. following the same direction, but adding some twists and turns along the way. which im not mad at

• this show pisses me off because i keep watching it because it's zombies, but it's really awful. every episode so far has been wall-to-wall schmaltzy pep talks with a couple minutes of zombies. i find it hard to care about these characters at all with their long winded inspirational monologues, and most of the time i find myself wanting the zombies to get them

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i am fairly decent Zombie movie fan and finally got around to watching the whole season (all on Sunday for the run-up of the final episode). Had to wiki the comic and, while i haven't read the comic, the plot line in the wiki link was interesting. I hope the writers at AMC do it justice for the plot.

i chalk up the acting/storyline to somewhat like "Lost" right now, and i was never much a fan of that show. I think if this show had vampires (eg trueblood) as opposed to Zombies, i would be much less interested. In fact, the idea of running from Zombies is probably the main reason I dig it so far.

final episode was pretty whatever, but i do like trying to guess what the Doctor said. I got my ideas.

I'll give it a few more episodes. So long as Zombies still kill/eat people and if the acting can get a little better, I will ride.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    jlee said:
    i am fairly decent Zombie movie fan and finally got around to watching the whole season (all on Sunday for the run-up of the final episode). Had to wiki the comic and, while i haven't read the comic, the plot line in the wiki link was interesting. I hope the writers at AMC do it justice for the plot.

i chalk up the acting/storyline to somewhat like "Lost" right now, and i was never much a fan of that show. I think if this show had vampires (eg trueblood) as opposed to Zombies, i would be much less interested. In fact, the idea of running from Zombies is probably the main reason I dig it so far.

final episode was pretty whatever, but i do like trying to guess what the Doctor said. I got my ideas.

I'll give it a few more episodes. So long as Zombies still kill/eat people and if the acting can get a little better, I will ride.

The doctor said: "We'll always have the memory of our sushi lunch." Oh wait, that was Lost in Translation.

I don't watch that much network TV, or TV shows at all, but I was so appalled at the lazy writing in this show. You wonder if the Darabond and Co. really just ran out of money, assumed they'd get canceled, and mailed it in, because it was seriously weak. Much has already been made of the Syfy-esque explosions but it was, all in all, a terrible season finale on many levels.