Moot Booxl?'s cover of Little Sister's "Stanga"

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/2010/05/11/mp3-of-interest-moot-booxle-stanga/Just passing this along so people can check it out. "Stanga" was a song Sly Stone wrote and recorded, and released as Little Sister on Stone Flower in 1971. A guy named Moot Booxl? covered it recently and I'm passing the goodness.

Comments

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    This has none of the narcotic haze of the original. A decent take, I guess, but a little sterile.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    This has none of the narcotic haze of the original. A decent take, I guess, but a little sterile.

I myself like the "narcotic haze" of all that came out on Stone Flower, I think the new take is not too bad though.

I'm hoping Andy Zax will release the Stone Flower compilation he had been talking about for awhile, I want to hear the "unknown".

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah this isn't bad but I'm with ennui on missing the haze of the original version. I've been waiting for this fucking comp of Stone Flower releases to come out for what seems like ever.

I've been waiting for this fucking comp of Stone Flower releases to come out for what seems like ever.

I guess with some of the shake-ups at Rhino awhile back, status of a lot of previously mentioned projects are unknown, especially after the Grateful Dead acquisition. I've heard Rhino Handmade's venture into quad (which I have suggested to them for years) is successful, as people are buying the quad mix of Chicago Transit Authority. I'm now hearing that they will dip more into the WEA quad masters, so there's some activity. As to when the Stone Flower comp will be released, I have no idea. It would make sense to do it next year, since it's the 40th (!!!) anniversary of There's A Riot Going On[/b] and much of the buzz surrounding his label is that those tracks are considered to be the flip side of the same coin. Here's to hope.

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    I've heard of booxle from the diy talkbox video, it's impressive as hell he sings and plays all the instruments including horns on this. Talented guy.

Brief update on the in-hiatus Stone Flower compilation. Producer Andy Zax told me today that it will be a 2CD compilation. Considering only four 45's were ever released on Stone Flower, two of which were just parts 1 & 2 of the same song ("You're The One" and "Life And Death In G&A"), this will be interesting. I know of a full length Little Sister album that was scrapped, but I don't know of the contents of the comp (hush hush until there is a proper release date). I'm curious to know how deep Sly went with it, since Atlantic pretty much let him do whatever, only for them to hold back for whatever reason.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    the Little Sister version is my jam... this sorta reminds me of Jamiriqui.......

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Brief update on the in-hiatus Stone Flower compilation. Producer Andy Zax told me today that it will be a 2CD compilation. Considering only four 45's were ever released on Stone Flower, two of which were just parts 1 & 2 of the same song ("You're The One" and "Life And Death In G&A"), this will be interesting. I know of a full length Little Sister album that was scrapped, but I don't know of the contents of the comp (hush hush until there is a proper release date). I'm curious to know how deep Sly went with it, since Atlantic pretty much let him do whatever, only for them to hold back for whatever reason.

Thanks johmbolaya. Knowing Sly, I'd always assumed there was unreleased Stone Flower material but has expected it to be mainly unfinished pieces. A whole album's worth of Little Sister is beyond anything I'd hoped for.