Synth Britannia BBC Documentary.

magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
HereSoul Strut is slippin' can't believe i didn't see any mention of it here.

Comments

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Awesome documentary. Thanks for making me notice. Starting Part 5 now.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Wow. Yeah, thanks for the heads up.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    The Krautrock documentary that they did was also pretty good.

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    is this on netflix instant queu by chance or is it just being aired on BBC

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I'm fan of that early schitt.

Wolfgang from Kraftwerk always scares me, always looks like he has something up his sleeve.

The Human League - Sound of the Crowd 12" is a must have, very wicked synths lines on that track, as heard on the doc.

Anyone pick this up? Its the real deal. 2 LPs of some raer hott melting synth tracks.

• snosno 332 Posts
    Thank you so much for the heads-up!!!!
    Just downloaded the whole thing via torrent to view it in one go. Great stuff!

Current Gary Numan looks like Mike Myers. Just saying.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    The Krautrock documentary that they did was also pretty good.

Yeah i was checking this out but youtube cut the sound on the last segment.

Loved the whole Vince Clarke, Depeche Mode section on the synth doc,the story about having to transport their keyboards to perform on the Top Of The Pops show to and fro via the train
    is a

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    The [url= documentary that they did was also pretty good.

Yeah i was checking this out but youtube cut the sound on the last segment.

Both of these can be grabbed via torrents if anyone is having troubles. I couldn't view the last segment of the Krautrock doc on YouTube.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Anyone pick this up? Its the real deal. 2 LPs of some raer hott melting synth tracks. Stones Throw release

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    boy, dave gahan's dancing was something else...

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up on that doco. I downloaded and watched it last night. It is on torrent sites in good quality. I was blown away by the internet speeds here in the US as I managed to download it at 800kbs took around 15mins to get the 620mb. Us aussies have it bad when it comes to downloads.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Thank you so much for the heads-up!!!!
    Just downloaded the whole thing via torrent to view it in one go. Great stuff!

Current Gary Numan looks like Mike Myers. Just saying.

I was just about to write everything you just said.

Very entertaining documentary, enlightening. I would much rather learn about most of these groups than actually have to listen to them (Cabaret Voltaire, for instance), it places people like Gary Numan in a context that makes you hear it like you are hearing it for the first time, and it is kind of surprising. Highly recommend this.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    great doc. I?d recommend you read "rip it up and start again" if you want more specifics on the post punk / synth scene

And there was an excellent doc a few years back called ?made in sheffied". That explores most of the key participants in more detail.

Vice TV also has a wikid 2mini doc on vince clark touring his log cabin synth studio that is BADDASS.

BEF FTW

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

Vice TV also has a wikid 2mini doc on vince clark touring his log cabin synth studio that is BADDASS.

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/motherboard/electric-independence-vince-clarke

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

Pretty much all the shows in that series and "Sound Builders" is worth watching.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Thanks for posting this,and to think my discovery of the Synth Doc started with a search looking for studio footage of Vince Clarke on youtube.Now i've got more to check out.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Thanks for posting this stuff. This is just what I need for today.