seems strange that people don't understand it

really.

NZ one-off useage: Check.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    NEVER

Not even just once?

Clevahhhhhhh

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    The term gets used a lot in gaming circles. Usually to describe a break in the normal gaming routine, "Only 3 players showed up for this weeks game so we broke out a copy of Pandemic and had a one-off boardgame night."

Gary it's increasingly harder to pin down a regional saying these days in the age of the internet. We post, chat, twitter and text one another from all over the US and the world at large. People's colloquialisms get spread around rather rapidly.

My dad (Chicago native) would ask for a "pop" when referring to a soft drinks where as someone from Texas would ask for a "coke." Some other parts of the country would ask for a "soda."

How long do you think that regional dialect difference is going to last in this day and age?

--Iron Man Tangent--

Someone needs to step up their comic book reading game.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    only to describe terrorist plots that dont involve a rightwing conspiracy.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    My dad (Chicago native) would ask for a "pop" when referring to a soft drinks

"Pop" as a generic catch-all for fizzy drinks was something I thought was a NW-England thing. Tin of pop, "Take these bottles back to the pop man", the pop wagon... The brand the pop-men sold was "Alpine", this was moulded into the glass bottles which were very robust and had a 10p refund value - but were highly-valued by home brewers, like say, my dad. Ring a bell for anyone else?

Never heard of pop being used in the USA before. Every day a school day on t3h Strut.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Robert Downey Jr says it near the end of Iron Man 2. I just watched the Russian bootleg.

Shut the fuk up. Do not say anything else.
    He dies at the end and his secretary's assistant is a spy.

you motherfucker, thanks for letting everyone know that his secretary has an assistant

Then the assistant rips her own head off and there's a chimp. And then the chimp rips its head off and there's Patrick McGoohan.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    The Pop vs soda thing is big in the US: see http://popvssoda.com:2998/ for current data, including maps.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I used to say coke, but now I say soda.

• Options
    Q: Do you use the phrase "one-off"

A: Yes.