record ethics question

P_ClendeninnP_Clendeninn 51 Posts
edited August 2005 in Record Collecting
guys...scenario goes as followswould you guys let a friend (i'll go as far as to say a close friend) come over to your crib, studio, record room, whatever you wanna call it, listen to your records, and if they hear something they wanna sample (even if they don't have the record), use it?i mean, would anyone have a problem with that? yes no maybe???

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    guys...

scenario goes as follows

would you guys let a friend (i'll go as far as to say a close friend) come over to your crib, studio, record room, whatever you wanna call it, listen to your records, and if they hear something they wanna sample (even if they don't have the record), use it?

i mean, would anyone have a problem with that? yes no maybe???

Depends - are they making crazy paper off sampling you? If so, then I'd be hollerin "finders fee"

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    did they bring beer over?

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    guys...

scenario goes as follows

would you guys let a friend (i'll go as far as to say a close friend) come over to your crib, studio, record room, whatever you wanna call it, listen to your records, and if they hear something they wanna sample (even if they don't have the record), use it?

Depends - are they making crazy paper off sampling you? If so, then I'd be hollerin "finders fee"

That is the only reason to care.

• guys...

scenario goes as follows

no, no paper, just making beats....

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    In that case, sure, why not? I mean, if they're a close friend, it's all love, right?

• i made that mistake by letting pete rock listen to my tom scott record.....

jas'keeding.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    large professor produced troy

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I don't see a problem at all. I think this is pretty common even with people making money. You can't own every record, so people have to help each other out. Now if they are just total bums, but you wouldn't be hanging out with them in the first place then.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

sayin.

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

east coast diggaz hold heat tight to their vests

west coast diggaz are much more shareful

DISCUSS

• wonkawonka 84 Posts
    thats good karma

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Serious...It all depends..If it is serious and for money ..get that dough...if it is to make some janky ass rap shit and have fun.....Get that Beer and enjoy

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Depends. I don't make beats and probably never will so I have never had a problem loaning friends records to sample. As long as they come back to me in good shape I'm easy. Now if the records takes off...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    i made that mistake by letting pete rock listen to my tom scott record.....

jas'keeding.

Pete Rock's chihuahuas took a piss all over my Mexican moody's

Seriously though I've done this for 2 different soulstrutters and I don't mind it. one of them hit me off with some rackords and the other one...he scares me too much so I let him do it so he won't beat me up with his conan wrist bracelets.

• did they bring a bong over?

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    i mean, it's all cool, but if the dude ends up being a leech or parasite, you best to send him to the dollar bins to find his own shit...

dude should also buy you a dinner or two and let you fuck his wife (j/k)...

peace.

• i made that mistake by letting pete rock listen to my tom scott record.....

jas'keeding.

Pete Rock's chihuahuas took a piss all over my Mexican moody's

Seriously though I've done this for 2 different soulstrutters and I don't mind it. one of them hit me off with some rackords and the other one...he scares me too much so I let him do it so he won't beat me up with his conan wrist bracelets.

haha. hehe. [color:white] shut-the-fuck-up [/color]. haha. oh you.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Depends. I don't make beats and probably never will so I have never had a problem loaning friends records to sample. As long as they come back to me in good shape I'm easy. Now if the records takes off...

I enjoy letting friends who are into constructing the beats in on possible fodder. It might be a different story if I was way into it or it was my profession/vocation/passion. Otherwise, it's all out there anyway.

• If you want to do the dude a favor, then do it. If not, he'll just get em off limewire or soulseek

• Options
    Johnny,

Remember that reggae-vibes track I left on your phone about a year ago? I got an extra.

K.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

????

i don't get it.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

????

i don't get it.

where's soulman?

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    did they bring a bong over?

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one.

Watching someone drunk trying to make a beat with your sample = fun

Watching someone stoned trying to make a beat with your sample = usually not fun

[color:white] and really what kind of host would I be if I asked them to provide their own smoking utensils? [/color]

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    guys...

scenario goes as follows

A friend of mine did this! I didn't know that he wanted the tracks for sampling purposes, but it was all good. He is a much better producer than I am. I like his stuff. But I was totally pissed, when he gave samples of mine to popular German Hip Hop producers.

I would feel different if he would have released tracks with my samples for puplic consumption. That'S what the hip hop producers did with my samples. ::sonned::