Music ruts

gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Absolutely nothing sounds good right now. I feel like I've played everything out that I've got. I'm having a hard time getting interested in anything. I've tried just not listening to anything for awhile, but still want to have something on in the background at least.I feel like some sort of rock music might cure this. Anyone have any recommendations for newer acts? I don't care if its indie-rock or not. Album, I've always really been into is Nobody & Mystic Chords of Memory "Tree Colored See." What do you do in these situations?

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It happens. Then something will come along and reignite that flame. Maybe an old album you'd forgotten, or something brand new.

Try these two blogs out for some indie maybe.

http://gorillavsbear.blogspot.com/
    http://nopaininpop.com/

Or listen to the Toro Y Moi lp.

Or not.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Last 6 months have been like this for me. My answer is to PURGE like Stalin. If you need it, keep it, if not get rid. This also helps you find things you forgot you had and to rediscover things you had written off (as mentioned).

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    OK, I guess it can also be called "organizing your records" but I tell my girlfriend it's purging so she doesn't think I'm too OCD.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    OK, I guess it can also be called "organizing your records" but I tell my girlfriend it's purging so she doesn't think I'm too OCD.

Great line!!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Purging is good also. very cathartic.

"I've written some poetry about how that made me feel and I'd like to share it with you all.."

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    MGMT

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    get back to roots aka driving around listening to cassette tapes.
    perhaps this will spark a great re-awakening as it has done for me

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Gravelheadwrap,

I tend to get out of musical ruts by seeking out stuff varies widely from the music I prefer. Perhaps, look to some genres you haven't pursued much. Maybe some unique music will stimulate your interest and make you seek out more. I had great success with this approach seeking out a lot of European psych/jazz stuff a few years when I got sick of be-bop. Good luck!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Thank you for the suggestions.

The purge has already begun for the past couple of months now, slowly but surely. I never realized how hard it is to give up a record or decide what to get rid of. Even the ones that you don't really need. HA!

"If you need it, keep it, if not get rid."

To me this is great advice, but its so tough to go over with. Gotta do it though.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    I had one (rut) that kept resurfacing.

I purged.

I went through tons of stuff I had forgotten. It was great, but not quite what I was after. I felt bummed out.

Then I took a horrible job as a fireguard at an outdoor "commercial fashion" event, and they played the same shit over and over and over for the 5 and a half hors I was there, and I realized

I HAVE MORE AMAZING MUSIC THAN MOST PEOPLE WILL HEAR IN A LIFETIME.

and

I AM SPOILT ROTTEN.

It was great. Two days later a friend of mine gave me a copy of 50 Foot Hose's "Cauldron" LP. I listened to it for the first time (had heard "Rose" before) at 2 in the morning after some "intake", and I think I've rediscovered what absolute joy really good music is.

Not sure this will help, but at least you're not alone. Maybe that's the answer? I don't know you or anything about you, so maybe you already do this all the time, but sharing your music with other people is a gret way to see certain things in a new light.