Digital Track Tagging

highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
So, I just got on Beatport for the first time and downloaded some WAVs that don't store the tag information, and I am on the verge of getting a new laptop. So naturally, I am weeding through my iTunes stuff, deleting crap I don't want, retagging some stuff, etc. It's nothing I haven't thought for years, but the tagging system available is so retarded. The problem might be with iTunes itself, and there might be some 3rd party omnipotent tagging utility, but there is no reason they can't add more editable information. They don't even have a Remixed by field...Anyway, here is the type of system that would be awesome IMO...I'm half hoping someone will come in here and say its already available because, honestly, I don't see how it isn't in 2010.Allow me to get OCD on that ass...1. For "Artist", there should be the ability to click a button a 2nd, then click again for 3rd, then click again for 4th etc. This way when you have direct collaborations you can just put in each individual "artist" and its going to show up no matter how you search etc. I hate creating a new artist for collaborations that aren't even a full album. Example: Freeway & Jakeone....the album could show up whether u select Freeway or Jakeone2. Featured Artist....same as above but for when a guest rapper appears on tracks. Under my current system, I keep the Artist field unchanged and put the featured artists in the track title. When there are 7 guest rappers, you get insanely long track names. Not to mention, songs that have a guest appearance by "Nas", don't show up when you select Nas as the artist.3. More check box options for a track/album. For example Bonus Track, Hidden Track, Reissue, Remastered. In fact, they should put in the ones I listed, but just have a field where you can create a checkbox option entitled anything you want.4. Just random missing fields such as: Edited ByRemixed ByLanguageRelease CountryArtist's CountryOriginal Release DateActual Release Date (as in for a reissue, remaster etc??ALLOW MONTH DATE & YEAR instead of just YEAR!)LabelCatalog #Again, they could include these and just have an option to create your own field name and allow you to include whatever the hell arcane information you want.5. Band players. This goes along with the featured artist/additional artist concept. For each instrument you just click a "+" button and type in the Instrument and the musician playing it.6. Sample information. For sample based stuff, ability to list full sample source info. 7. Add fields for when something is recorded from another format to digital. This would be things such as.... Original Format recorded off (CD/TAPE/12"/45/VHS/SPEAK&SPELL), Original Format Condition, etc8. Recording Chain information....Stylus, Cartridge, Turntable, DAC etc. I think that about covers it, but it could be pretty much future proofed by letting the end user just create the fields the deem necessary.Does this exist? What would you change about it?