Getting paid to dj

analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
What is the average rate you have seen for djing somewhere. I'm not talking about guys that have managers booking gigs for them, just spinning at an average bar or club. I know sometimes the place will give most of the door, or if there is a no cover they may give you 10% of what the bar does in sales. I know there are alot of monthly gigs in NYC and The Bay Area. Share some info on the pay rates.

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I hope the new site has an area where posts like this that have been asked a million times before get archived....

the best answer to this question is ask what you think you're worth.

i've asked for $50 a hour and I've asked for $1,000 a hour. it depends on many variables. and your skills. and how confident you are that your contribution to the club will be good for business.

peace.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

I had two regular gigs, but gave up the better paid one last year. ?100 a night to play to drunk meatheads & beckies. Not feelin' it.

Monthly gig at a local bar from 9pm til 2am only pays about ?40, but I get free drinks... and I'm doing it as I like to play what I want, and if you can get people dancing in a bar (i.e. no dancefloor), it's a hell of a lot more rewarding than slapping on some bait chart music to people that will dry-hump a cigarette machine to the sound of the fire alarm.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    my friend was offered to DJ at a high society big money art show. when they asked him how much he charges he jokingly said $6000.00, they thought he was serious and paid him that amount.

my point is to not be afraid to ask for the money you deserve you can always go lower if they think its too much.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    my point is to not be afraid to ask for the money you deserve you can always go lower if they think its too much.

BEST ADVICE EVER. 5 times out of 10 it works in your favour.....

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    people that will dry-hump a cigarette machine to the sound of the fire alarm.

You can get to SXSW with this concept.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

Good advive, but what if you don't have an established market value?

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    The answer is that 99% of djs are not worth much in the opinion of club and bar owners.

We are long past the point where your record collection justified paying you a premium...and the same can be said for your equipment (tables, mixer). Somebody can show up with a serato itch system and laptop in their backpack and (theoretically) do the same job as you.

If you are incredibly skilled and gifted it will be meaningless to most bar/club owners unless you have or can create a following.

The saving grace will be whether you have name recognition. If so, you will have an easily calculable market value (how many people you bring v. how many people the resident dj brings). If not, good luck arguing that you are worth $1,000 when the average dj gets $100.

I have more friends on the booking/owner side than I do on the dj side and this is exactly what they go by. Actually, somewhere high in that equation is your "look". I've recommended incredible djs to club managers and owners who, upon seeing the dj, said

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    What is the average rate you have seen for djing somewhere. I'm not talking about guys that have managers booking gigs for them, just spinning at an average bar or club. I know sometimes the place will give most of the door, or if there is a no cover they may give you 10% of what the bar does in sales.

I know there are alot of monthly gigs in NYC and The Bay Area. Share some info on the pay rates.

Are you bringing equipment?

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I know of many terrible djs getting booked on looks. Happens all day everyday. Many really really good ones NOT getting booked because of their look. Shitty but the way of the world.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I don't get paid in dollars

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    my friend was offered to DJ at a high society big money art show. when they asked him how much he charges he jokingly said $6000.00, they thought he was serious and paid him that amount.

i know a certain band called justice refused to play at a fashion show located 5 min walk from where they have their studio in paris, because the suggested fee of 50.000 euro was too low.
    Would have been one of them, 1 hour, cds only.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    if your talking average wages, no profile no promoter etc, bar gigs in london is usually ?50 plus drinks plus taxi fare. it used to be more but competition is pretty fierce.

• What is the average rate you have seen for djing somewhere. I'm not talking about guys that have managers booking gigs for them, just spinning at an average bar or club. I know sometimes the place will give most of the door, or if there is a no cover they may give you 10% of what the bar does in sales.

I know there are alot of monthly gigs in NYC and The Bay Area. Share some info on the pay rates.

Are you bringing equipment?

yeah turntables and mixer

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    What about these dj punters that play minimalist junglist clownstepper dubstep aggrotech raer on two 1210s boxed in chrome flight case in posh clobber shops in Mayfair?
    You know the ones, usually standing near the door, pair of shades, poker face, Reservoir Dogs attire.
    The shop has, like, one customer in cargo pants and a bright orange t nervously milling around a rack that constitutes the whole of the shop's merchandise, comprising two Nehru jackets in chiaroscuro black w/ lime pinstripe and, I dunno, white road markings printed on the back. Would be an ideal fit for a human lamp-post.
    One of them dudes.
    How much do they earn?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    What about these dj punters that play minimalist junglist clownstepper dubstep aggrotech raer on two 1210s boxed in chrome flight case in posh clobber shops in Mayfair?
    You know the ones, usually standing near the door, pair of shades, poker face, Reservoir Dogs attire.
    The shop has, like, one customer in cargo pants and a bright orange t nervously milling around a rack that constitutes the whole of the shop's merchandise, comprising two Nehru jackets in chiaroscuro black w/ lime pinstripe and, I dunno, white road markings printed on the back. Would be an ideal fit for a human lamp-post.
    One of them dudes.
    How much do they earn?

I already told you.

• I'm actually spinning tonight on the fly. wont make much, cause it'll be split up between 3 of us, but it's gonna be a good night.