Dirty Projectors x Solange (Groove Theory Related)

CinisterCeeCinisterCee 863 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
[color:white]Might be a latte pass since the vid is from February but w/e[/color]

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Shame the sound quality's shonky, although I dunno if it'd make that much difference to the bassist's sloppy playing.

I kinda like the direction Solange seems to be heading in, but I can see it just getting boiled down to "the r&b singer it's OK for Pitchfuck readers and hipsters to like", just because she hangs out with Of Montreal or does things like this;

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Solange is pretty meh. I like the Dirty Projectors though, their collaborations with Bjork are much more interesting IMO.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    [color:white]Might be a latte pass since the vid is from February but w/e[/color]

mad stiff and funkless

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yo, you try being Beyonce's sister!

Seriously though, Solange keeps trying to reinvent herself with each new effort.

I know she's working with Dev Hynes on some of her new shit.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    She really is riding that hipster wave.

Perhaps. I dunno that a taste for voguish indie automatically makes you a hipster. I'm always willing to give artists who try not to repeat themselves a shot.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I'm not mad at her, but she appears to be traveling the world hooking up with the hipster favourites. Maybe that's what she's into, maybe she's an avid Pitchfork reader, who knows.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Perhaps. I dunno that a taste for voguish indie automatically makes you a hipster. I'm always willing to give artists who try not to repeat themselves a shot.

I actually like Solange and wasnt mad at that last album.

She cant sing but I ride for that Kelis-esque type of shit.

I thought her last album was great. TBH, I'm dog-tired of hearing "ironic" indie-pop versions of r&b/rap songs, especially when they're almost always shit. If she wants to flip it on 'em with things like that Dirty Projectors cover - shit that actually grooves - she's got my vote.