Amateur coming through... (lil' mix inside)

bropsbrops 182 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I've been trying to learn Ableton Live, and made short (really short) mix. It's only 10:46 long, and I'm pretty satisfied with it. Maybe you guys could give me your thoughts about it?Linkie: streamThe sound quality is pretty bad, because it's mostly (no, all of it) mp3s. I'm planning buying an iMic so that I can connect my turntables to my laptop. We'll see about that. Anyway.. I've mostly picked "usual suspects" here, inspired by ODubs 30 best breaks/samples, and the "tracklist" (there's really no tracks in here though, just samples and breaks) goes something like this:* Willie Hutch - Brother's Gonna Work It Out * Honey Drippers - Impeach the President * New Birth - Keep On Doin' It * Isaac Hayes - Breakthrough * Weldon Irvine - We Gettin' Down * Ohio Players - Funky Worm * Emotions - Blind Alley * Blackbyrds - Rock Creek Park * Skull Snaps - It's A New Day * David McCallum - The Edge * Marvin Gaye - T Plays It Cool * Dorothy Ashby - Soul Vibrations * George Clinton - Atomic Dog * Average White Band - Schoolboy Crush * Three Dog Night - I Can Hear You Calling * Klaus Wunderlich - Summertime * Marva Whitney - Unwind Yourself * The Meters - Just Kissed My BabyI know I've been doing something wrong when I mixed in "Rock Creek Park", but I couldn't figure out what. Besides that I really love the sound of "Summertime" mixed with "I Can Hear You Calling" and "Unwind Yourself".Every thought appreciated.

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I like it.

but Its a bit off here and there. If you fix that, you'll be good to go.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Thanks. I know it's a bit off here and there.. didn't use much time with perfection (I made this yesterday.. sitting nearly 10 hours in a row). As I said my purpose was to learn more about how Live works. I want to try make a "real" mixtape sometime.. haven't really done that before besides those dusty old tapes I used to make with my shitty belt-driven Numark turntables and my old, old Sony "stereo". That's allright, but I'm not the best turntablist around so my old tapes is not all that exciting. We'll see in the future I guess. Still need some practice.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    Excellent!! sounds pro to me - I'd say you figured it out pretty well.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I like it.

but Its a bit off here and there. If you fix that, you'll be good to go.
    Yeah, holmes, you got some fly shit.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Thanks guys. I'll try make something serious (and longer) sometime.. right now it's the beginning of the semester, and I'm moving into a new appartment and blah blah.. so time is not what I have most of. Stay tune I guess...