Class Now In Session: Record Care and Maintenance

MassiveMassive 194 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I wanted to hear different peoples opinions and methodologies when it comes to preserving their precious vinyl. How do you try to make a bad sounding record sound good? Do you prefer using your own concoction to clean records? Do you buy retail cleaner? Do you use any sort of DIY cleaning machine? Clean everytime you listen? Replace stylus regularly? I could go on, but I think you get the point. Thanks in advance. Peace.

Comments

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    cleaning is pretty straightforward

mix some meths (which is 99% isopropyl) and water in a plastic screw top bottle along with a few drops of dishwashing detergent - shake and apply with a non-lint cloth

isopropyl is an organic solvent, so it breaks down all the gunk

you can 'rinse' the record with a clean water wipe too - hell, some people do the washing by rinsing under a tap period

I pretty much only clean when a record is acquired (second hand) or I have cause to

can't figure out why you'd buy solution - that said, a VPI cleaner is a whole different ballgame, they get mentioned up here now and again

stylus changes - I'm about every 9 months, you should be able to tell when its time, the sound quality starts detriorating

• MassiveMassive 194 Posts
    Thanks for the reply Lucero. I use high purity isopropyl with distilled water and a drop of palmolive. I've used it for some time now. Sorry, I don't have a camera right now, but I built me one of these for fifty bucks:

http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html

Works like a charm. I suppose my method is fine for now. I was just curious what other people do for their records. I have yet to throw money at Gruv Grease, just because I'd rather spend the money on vinyl. Have you ever used Gruv? If so, can you vouch for it's claims?

"Gruv Glide is a new dry record treatment that actually enhances the sound of the record. Prior to it's development even the highest quality cartridge could not produce the maximum available reproduction from the phono record. Now, for the first time, the use of Gruv Glide brings out the best possible sound. Gruv Glide not only increases the fidelity of the record, but also reduces surface noise, removes static and cleans the record. The treated record and stylus will last longer due to the increased tracking ability and reduced friction. One application lasts for an indefinite period of time and one kit will treat at least 200 records."

Peace.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    ultra-sonic

the only way to fly !

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Like Lucero said, I only find I need to clean when i buy records second hand, and even then, jist once when I get it.

I use a basin filled with warm soapy water, a soft cloth - and a toothbrush.

That's right - i use a soft toothbrish - it's great for getting dirt out thats lodged in a groove. i go over the surface witha toothbrush, then use the rag, then rinse. That's my process. Works very well for me.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Thanks for the reply Lucero. I use high purity isopropyl with distilled water and a drop of palmolive. I've used it for some time now. Sorry, I don't have a camera right now, but I built me one of these for fifty bucks:

http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html

Works like a charm. I suppose my method is fine for now. I was just curious what other people do for their records. I have yet to throw money at Gruv Grease, just because I'd rather spend the money on vinyl. Have you ever used Gruv? If so, can you vouch for it's claims?

"Gruv Glide is a new dry record treatment that actually enhances the sound of the record. Prior to it's development even the highest quality cartridge could not produce the maximum available reproduction from the phono record. Now, for the first time, the use of Gruv Glide brings out the best possible sound. Gruv Glide not only increases the fidelity of the record, but also reduces surface noise, removes static and cleans the record. The treated record and stylus will last longer due to the increased tracking ability and reduced friction. One application lasts for an indefinite period of time and one kit will treat at least 200 records."

Peace.

Gruv-Glide really does work. Been using it for 5 years with no ill effects. I don't use it on every record, just ones that are a little rough.

h